Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2016, 07:36 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSS View Post
I wouldn't say suburbs have poor schools, but I agree that inner city schools get a bad rap. Of my four kids, two are in high school - one in an inner city "failing" school; one in the suburban school. Guess which one I will miss dearly and wish I could have all of them at. You are correct if you said the inner city one.
Per the bolded --- You don't get out much, do you?

The once good suburban schools that my child went to are now overrun with illegal aliens and poor immigrant kids. The elementary school that my child went to now can't even get full accreditation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

2,464 posts, read 1,285,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
I don't take you to be a person that actually cares about facts, but I'll post some data just in case you do.

4 habits that keep you from getting rich - Business Insider

Rich Vs Poor - Real Differences - Best Mankind
Well I take it you are "rich" then because there is obviously nothing in between being rich and being poor in this country. Your "facts" don't actually look at the issues that go on with each of those numbers.

I think it is time for Americans to stop trying to pretend that they too will someday be rich, and start accepting the fact that we should be striving for middle class. A healthy middle class is a healthy country.

I do have a site for you that will help you with this issue of wanting to be rich.
Temporarily Embarrassed Millionaires

Old 06-04-2016, 07:40 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times
It won't work where everyone outside of the government is concerned. This is Obama's chip on his shoulder and his way of getting back at America, which he insists on blaming for other countries' problems.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:19 PM

10,210 posts, read 15,912,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I worked for many years for housing authorities as a consultant and as an employee.

FYI, Housing Choice Voucher residents (HCV is now what they call Section 8) has been in suburban communities for 20+ years now. It is not a new thing that Obama started.

On the OP, it improves outcomes by de-concentrating poverty and crime. There have been studies done over the decades that have shown that those children especially who are HCV residents benefit from a better education and better social outcomes by not growing up in poverty stricken, urban communities.

De-concentrating poverty in this way has also caused crime to decrease in practically every major urban area since the mid to late 1990s.

It does work.
I used to live in the Baltimore area, and all its done is push crime, gangs and drugs into the suburbs and push middle class people further out. Thankfully here in West Virginia, the people in the small hoods know the rest of us are very well armed and know to best not come around here and cause trouble.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:27 PM

32,065 posts, read 15,046,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I used to live in the Baltimore area, and all its done is push crime, gangs and drugs into the suburbs and push middle class people further out. Thankfully here in West Virginia, the people in the small hoods know the rest of us are very well armed and know to best not come around here and cause trouble.
So you feel more comfortable being armed in west virginia than baltimore.

Old 06-04-2016, 09:30 PM

22,452 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianity View Post
Huh??..

Its okay if YOU love labor camps...
Godwin's Law. Look it up. It applies to you.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:27 PM

6,393 posts, read 4,112,639 times
Quote:
A place is only a good place to live because the people that live there make it so.
My parents always taught me this. If you take care of your house, it will take care of you.

My boyfriend and I spend some of our free time working on our house. He repainted the living room last week. Yesterday, he ripped out the old bushes and planted very beautiful flower plants. I take care of the lawn. Green and lushes.

Frankly, I don't understand why some people just let garbage collect all over their lawn.

Old 06-04-2016, 11:41 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
My parents always taught me this. If you take care of your house, it will take care of you.

My boyfriend and I spend some of our free time working on our house. He repainted the living room last week. Yesterday, he ripped out the old bushes and planted very beautiful flower plants. I take care of the lawn. Green and lushes.

Frankly, I don't understand why some people just let garbage collect all over their lawn.
It should be common sense that the quality of a neighborhood is directly tied to the people that live there, but for some, this is a mystery.

I spent several hours today doing yard work. I did it, not only because of personal pride, but because I feel a sense of responsibility to my neighbors. Not taking care of your home directly affects the home values in your neighborhood. When enough people in the neighborhood don't care about their homes, then you have a place where people don't want to live.

Old 06-05-2016, 01:40 AM

30,251 posts, read 23,723,072 times
You know, I've known someone who lived in Section 8 housing...apartment buildings in Seattle. It was a brand new building at the time, and every time I went to visit this person, what I noticed was how quiet and respectful the neighbors were. There were neighbors that were white, there were neighbors who were black, there were some neighbors who were Hispanic. NONE of them were loud, obnoxious, rude, nor arrogant. Not a single one of them left a mess anywhere in the hallways or where people could park.

I've lived in areas with no section 8 people around. I know someone personally who rents a house and they do not get section 8 because they make too much money...despite what they will tell you. Their house is a disgusting pit. Their yard is like a junk yard that has been left to swelter in the sun - weeds and rocks, not green grass and a lovely patio - a run down junk yard. Their fence leans over, has multiple holes in it made by their dog, and the gate is broken beyond belief. They've lived there 3 years. In that 3 years, they have destroyed the place. When they move out, the landlord is going to lose a LOT of money cleaning, repairing, replacing, putting in new floors, blinds, and painting. I don't know if the landlord is a jerk, but even if he was, I feel bad for him that he's going to lose so. much. money. to make the place ready for a new tenant. These people have completely destroyed the place with their pig sty living style.

They are not section 8 recipients. They are not poor...they aren't rich, but they aren't poor, either, although again, they will tell you every single day how so very poor they are...because they are STUPID with their money and spend it as soon as they get it, and it would seem as if one of them has a hoarding problem, the other enables by not doing a thing about it...and let me tell you, it has affected the kids to the point that one has no respect for anyone nor himself, does have some deep seated anger issues that are going to come out one day - right now he just avoids people - and one who is so eager to please, that he takes on every single worry and concern of everyone around him...it's going to damage him, because that always damages people.

To imply that people who live in Section 8 housing are pigs who don't care is wrong. To imply that those who live in the suburbs who do not get Section 8 housing are somehow innocent victims of all the Section 8 housing people, is utter BS. If anything, I feel sorry for anyone who is a Section 8 housing recipient and lives anywhere near the pigs that I know who are not Section 8 housing recipients.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:48 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,433,247 times
Quote:
Labor camps??!
Why not?

Why should able-bodied people be allowed to live like parasites off of the hard work of other people?

You call yourself "Christianity."

I don't know what you mean by that, but I am sick and tired of Christians being generous at everyone else's expense -- not theirs.

Spend your own money on the lazy and shiftless -- but please don't reach into my pocket or ruin my neighborhood with your catering to the irresponsible!

Churches are becoming what are called "attractive nuisances." It is best not to live to near them nowadays. When they aren't bringing in Muslim immigrants -- very secretively, in collaboration with the government -- they are pushing for burdening the taxpayers with irresponsible people.

Quote:
Everybody should live in a good place.......
Feel free to pay for that.

Yourself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
So, you think that throwing rocks at other kids is justified? Seriously?
Yep, that's how liberals think.

The crime isn't throwing rocks.

The crime is complaining about it.

Quote:
.... There should be no bad place to live.....

Everybody should live in a good place....
Should, should, should.

What are you going to do to make it happen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
You mentioned Hitler. You invoked Godwin's Law. You lose. Big time.
Quote:
Huh??..

Its okay if YOU love labor camps...
Okay, I wasn't clear enough.

In these camps, you will get up at 5 a.m, be fed a modest breakfast, and then you will work for a full day. And you will have no choice, because failure to work and do your job will result in physical punishment.

It will be "lights out" at 9 p.m., so that you can get a good night's sleep and do the same thing the next day.

Quote:
It should be common sense that the quality of a neighborhood is directly tied to the people that live there, but for some, this is a mystery.

I spent several hours today doing yard work. I did it, not only because of personal pride, but because I feel a sense of responsibility to my neighbors. Not taking care of your home directly affects the home values in your neighborhood. When enough people in the neighborhood don't care about their homes, then you have a place where people don't want to live.
Well said.

It is true that there are non-section 8 people that are also bad neighbors.

But this is just part of our culture in which people no longer have any consideration for others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies