Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 10:21 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
An entirely fictional statistic.
California does not have an economy comparable to France.
Do you understand what GDP means?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 10:23 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
I'm a middle to the right of the road individual. And I really don't understand why California is prospering. Especially with all the left's imposed taxes and regulations. I just don't get it. Though I must admit I have to give credit where credit is due.
Congratulations California!!!

California surpasses France as world's 6th-largest economy
In regards to the above:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Obviously, taxes and regulations DON'T necessarily stifle an economy!

California has a lot of natural advantages, including two good-sized sea ports. It has a social culture that encourages experimentation - i.e., trying stuff that hasn't been done before.
The bold is corect IMO. Too often the right wants to make it seem like taxes and regulation are the ONLY ways to have a prosperous economy but there are many liberal areas that blow that out of the water. Taxes, especially IMO do not stifle economic growth. Regulations can but CA IMO really doesn't have all that many outrageous regulations like the right wants to act like it does.

On this

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
It may "appear" as if California is prospering if you look only at the size of its economy, but it has the highest poverty rate in the country. And one of the highest unfunded public employee pension obligation liabilities.
California does NOT have the highest poverty rate by state in the country. Southeastern states are more poverty stricken and last I checked Louisiana is the state with the highest poverty rate.

Many California cities have poverty rate issues, however, so do most larger, expensive urban areas today. I lived in Atlanta for many years and it had a poverty rate of about 30%. Even with the high poverty rate, it was prospering as a metro economically.

ETA: I checked again and Louisiana is no longer the most poverty stricken state. "6 states and DC with the worst poverty"

Per the link the places below are the top 7 for poverty rates:

1 - Mississippi
2 - New Mexico
3 - Louisiana
4 - Arkansas
5 - Georgia
6 - District of Columbia (DC)
7 - Kentucky

Interesting that in regards to the list, those places, other than DC have low taxes and a low amount of regulation. So it is interesting that those areas with more regulation and higher taxes actually have less poverty.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:24 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
Truth be told it isn't like any of the post-industrial economies of Europe have been doing incredibly well economically over the past few years. I would call California about average in terms of US growth and employment, sitting at 5.2% currently is really not far off from the national average (4.7%), and most recent quarterly real GDP has them at 0.6% vs the overall 0.8% for the US economy in 1Q 2016. So average, but not hurting. Still performing better than most of the world I would gamble (and being average, better than 24-25 states).

It would probably be much higher if not for the strong US dollar, which tends to limit exports. California is a highly export dependent state. Not only for goods produced in the state, but for exports moving out of its many ports. This is a larger economic drag though and not just for California.

I know this is a more statistical answer rather than the emotion fueled rages that are more popular around here, but it is true none the less.
The strong US dollar is why US state GDPs look better in the first place.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:25 AM

1,392 posts, read 2,134,905 times
Have people forgotten that in the late 90s, California was the world's fifth largest economy?

Old 06-18-2016, 10:27 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,967,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
What all this is telling me is 2 of our stats are in the top 12 economies, ahead of some very prominent countries, then those other countries are in a lot more trouble than us.
It also tells us that America is a very rich country which can afford a national health care system, two weeks of paid vacation for all workers and tuition free public universities like FAR poorer countries provide. The endless talk about how America cant afford anything that benefits ordinary Americans because of debt is nonsense. Only wars, bailouts and corporate welfare can be afforded apparently.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:28 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,023,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
No matter the cost of living in Texas, North Dakota, or Tennessee you still wake up every morning in Texas, North Dakota, or Tennessee.

That's why.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going over to Malibu today. 5-mile hike in the mountains then a beach sunset.
I certainly misjudged you. With your talk of anarchy, I thought your were some pock-faced kid living in his parents mobile home in Oklahoma or something.

Los Angeles...the only dream I ever had in life was to live in that city. Phoenix was as close as I could afford.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:29 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
California does NOT have the highest poverty rate by state in the country. Southeastern states are more poverty stricken and last I checked Louisiana is the state with the highest poverty rate.

Many California cities have poverty rate issues, however, so do most larger, expensive urban areas today. I lived in Atlanta for many years and it had a poverty rate of about 30%. Even with the high poverty rate, it was prospering as a metro economically.
I think most right wing people confuse aid with level of poverty. It is easy to say California provides the most or close to the most aid to those living in the state. They probably even have more loose requirements for aid to help a larger group of people.

That doesn't mean there are more poor people in California, that just means they provide more aid. We do that up here in Oregon as well, I am happy to help my fellow Oregonians that are in need.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:29 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Obviously, taxes and regulations DON'T necessarily stifle an economy!

California has a lot of natural advantages, including two good-sized sea ports. It has a social culture that encourages experimentation - i.e., trying stuff that hasn't been done before.
How well would California do without.......... Silicon Valley and Hollywood?
California doesn't even have their own water, the only reason the state can claim agricultural producer is from the states that give them water.
California was never meant to have as many people as it has, it is mostly desert. People keep building and the Liberals keep fixing the books.

https://www.threatmetrix.com/blog/cy...mber-1-target/
Today (2014) California leads the USA in the number of currency seizures.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:32 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,741,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
It also tells us that America is a very rich country which can afford a national health care system, two weeks of paid vacation for all workers and tuition free public universities like FAR poorer countries provide. The endless talk about how America cant afford anything that benefits ordinary Americans because of debt is nonsense. Only wars, bailouts and corporate welfare can be afforded apparently.
That's another topic.

A state can institute a universal health care system. I say let a state do it.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:33 AM

17,468 posts, read 12,945,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by X14Freak View Post
Have people forgotten that in the late 90s, California was the world's fifth largest economy?
California is a lot like Hillary, the state depends on outsiders to take care of them, rather than their own people. Very unfriendly to small business people. Tends to be a nanny state.......what is so cool about this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies