Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 06:31 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Registration has only one end-purpose: confiscation.

Illegal confiscation of guns after Katrina in greater New Orleans:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=katrina%20illegal%20gun%20confiscation
Guns have been registered in NY and other states for decades, no confiscation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 06:34 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
In CA the State has pretty much formulated it owns your weapon once you die. Your only choice is to sell it beforehand. You can't give it to your wife or kid, only sell it out of State. A de facto confiscation. Orrrrr your loved one can be a felon in possession of it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_California

Old 06-20-2016, 06:53 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If you had a 1911 and the government passed a law that you could only own single shot guns, would you turn your 1911 in?
NOPE! Not on your life, and I'm a Canadian. I was once the proud owner of a Browning HyPower 9mm in my youth and just got tired of all the rigamarole of either getting a permit to transport the thing to the range for some shooting or leaving it there in a locker forever. No way to treat a work of art.

If I owned one of them, and it wasn't on paper anywhere, it would be thoroughly cosmoline'd, wrapped in oilskin and buried in the dang yard before the government got it's hands on it to melt it down for scrap.

My belief is that those fine weapons should be at least given as much respect for the works of art they are as that stupid piece-of-crap Andy Warhol Campbell's Soup poster. I'd have an early issue of both of them hanging in my den if it were possible without any aggravation; the bonus would be they'd be ready to go with a mag insertion.

I would desire either a fine example of a 1911 Colt .45 or one of John Browning's very fine 9mm of the slightly later High Power models for their nostalgia value only, as self protection is not a priority concern for most Canadians. Should the need ever arise though, the solid heft of one of those beautifully designed examples would certainly give one the assurance they need when faced with some cretin bent on ruining your day.

Old 06-20-2016, 06:56 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,414,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It is the middle of the night and SWAT teams wearing scary black helmets and armor are going door to door, neighborhood to neighborhood, breaking down people's doors, terrorizing families, and tearing through homes to confiscate any firearms they may have. This is what many conservatives fear that Obama and the Democrats ultimately want to happen.

Does this fear have any basis in reality at all? How does any mention of stricter background checks, a ban on certain types of clips, or closing the gun show loophole become a mass, nationwide gun grab by a totalitarian government?

To be honest, though I am more liberal on most issues I tend to lean conservative on Second Amendment rights, but I just don't understand where this paranoia is coming from. Nobody has proposed a gun grab that I am aware of. If anything, Second Amendment rights have increased over the past couple of decades.
How does any of that prevent mass shootings or shootings in general?

No one has proposed a gun grab because it is not politically feasible nor legally allowed, so they will just keep working on the legal part...

The US is a country that has a history of brutally suppressing groups for whatever purpose, I do not know why you think it is all of a sudden different.

Old 06-20-2016, 07:00 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,493,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm4 View Post
Registration has only one end-purpose: confiscation.

Illegal confiscation of guns after Katrina in greater New Orleans:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=katrina%20illegal%20gun%20confiscation

Here's a change-up for you. An example of the government telling the LEO's to give the firearms back to the people they were illegally confiscated from during a flood.

RCMP felt political pressure over Alberta flood gun seizures - Politics - CBC News

Give High River back its guns, PMO urges RCMP

Old 06-20-2016, 07:07 PM
mm4

5,711 posts, read 3,979,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Guns have been registered in NY and other states for decades, no confiscation.
There is only one purpose for gun registration: personal identification that enables targeted confiscation. Doesn't matter if or when.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:00 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,621,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
NOPE! Not on your life, and I'm a Canadian. I was once the proud owner of a Browning HyPower 9mm in my youth and just got tired of all the rigamarole of either getting a permit to transport the thing to the range for some shooting or leaving it there in a locker forever. No way to treat a work of art.

If I owned one of them, and it wasn't on paper anywhere, it would be thoroughly cosmoline'd, wrapped in oilskin and buried in the dang yard before the government got it's hands on it to melt it down for scrap.

My belief is that those fine weapons should be at least given as much respect for the works of art they are as that stupid piece-of-crap Andy Warhol Campbell's Soup poster. I'd have an early issue of both of them hanging in my den if it were possible without any aggravation; the bonus would be they'd be ready to go with a mag insertion.

I would desire either a fine example of a 1911 Colt .45 or one of John Browning's very fine 9mm of the slightly later High Power models for their nostalgia value only, as self protection is not a priority concern for most Canadians. Should the need ever arise though, the solid heft of one of those beautifully designed examples would certainly give one the assurance they need when faced with some cretin bent on ruining your day.
Therefore, such a law would make you a criminal.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:10 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
I certainly wouldn't want the common man disarmed, as their gun gives them an allusion of freedom, and that's a good thing. I want them to happily go on hanging their drywall and fixing engines, and contribute to our tax base. Let them continue to fantasize about government overthrows. Of course it's not ever going to happen, but that's OK! The hope of a revolution is what keeps them going. "Just you wait" is all these people can say. It reminds me of Linus waiting for Great Pumpkin to rise. I really love the line, "I'm not going to protect you either". I guess I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,824,055 times
Just look at the laws they are trying to pass in blue states to see the anti gun wet dreams. They are trying to ban all semi automatic rifles even though they are already heavily regulated, they want to ban our basing ammo via the Internet, they want to make you do a background check to buy ammo, they want to make non violent misdemeanors reason to ban you from owning a gun, they want to regulate pieces of metal like they are firearms arms and they want to make it to where a stranger can have someone else's guns confiscated without a court hearing based on testimony from one party, and ban/confiscate any magazine that holds over 10 rounds even though they havnt been legally sold in the state for 15 years.

That is just what they are trying to push this year that is on top of the hundreds of the most hanious gun laws on the books nation wide.

But tell me again how democrats are not trying to take away my civil liberties.

Old 06-20-2016, 08:32 PM

50,308 posts, read 47,056,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
I certainly wouldn't want the common man disarmed, as their gun gives them an allusion of freedom, and that's a good thing. I want them to happily go on hanging their drywall and fixing engines, and contribute to our tax base. Let them continue to fantasize about government overthrows. Of course it's not ever going to happen, but that's OK! The hope of a revolution is what keeps them going. "Just you wait" is all these people can say. It reminds me of Linus waiting for Great Pumpkin to rise. I really love the line, "I'm not going to protect you either". I guess I'll try not to lose too much sleep over it.
A rather obtuse view. Many of us "Common men" are surgeons, programmers and entrepreneurs. Your reference to a 60s childhood, analog tv show is bizarre.

My collection of firearms cost me quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies