Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Are you trying to be funny or is this a serious question?
I didn't ask a question in that post. If I did, it would have ended with a question mark....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2016, 09:53 AM

30,390 posts, read 19,184,321 times
Mr. Zuckerberg, tear down that wall!!!!

and build a bridge from Syria to your house.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliftonpdx View Post
I didn't ask a question in that post. If I did, it would have ended with a question mark....
Quote:
That doesn't mean they don't just come in from another way. Why cross at a random spot in the border when you can cross at a border checkpoint or simply fly into the country.
The word WHY often implies a question.

I didn't realize it was a ridiculous conclusion you had drawn.

It would me much like saying, "Why do the homeless sleep on the streets when they can just buy homes."

Some people might take it as a ridiculous question instead of a ridiculous statement.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:58 AM

9,742 posts, read 4,499,419 times
Quote:
This is very easy.

Yes, a wall needs to be built because it's the only form of illegal immigration control that can't be ignored by our government.

We don't need a wall across the entire border. We just need it in the areas which are easy to get to population and/or transportation quickly.

Areas that require a day or more of hiking to get out of the "wilderness" only require a few helicopter passes to find crossers and direct border control to the location.

As far as building costs, much of that will be offset by the costs we pay for all the money spent on illegals.

As far as maintenance costs and boots on the ground, close foreign military bases and use that maintenance money and those troops.

Yeah, it really is that simple.
We already have that in some 700 miles of walls, double fencing and virtual fences. All located in populated areas and know frequent access points. So basically you are saying redo the same but make it all concrete?

A far better solution would be to get full adoption of E-Verify across all states and all employers. For instance, a border state like Texas only requires it for government agencies and contractors to government agencies.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:26 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Not sure we need a wall if:

Stiff penalties for hiring.
Illegal? No schools, no housing, no welfare, no services, no food stamps, no WIC, no DL.
All money going south gets taxed.

Old 06-29-2016, 10:30 AM

39,875 posts, read 26,526,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Walls aren't perfect for sure.

But if your goal is to keep people out, the argument that not having wall is better than having a wall is rather silly.............One can only assume that you don't want to keep people out.

All this is sort of irrelevant though, because people miss the whole point of having a border wall.

A wall at the border isn't meant to be the only physical barrier to illegal entry in and of itself.
It must be part of a multi faceted approach that includes, most importantly a change in policy regarding enforcing the law.

A wall is a statement of that policy and intent, a giant "KEEP OUT" sign that tells people that we are serious about border security.

And that's why Liberals don't like the idea..........it has nothing to do with the cost or the feasibility.
Personally, I'd be fine with 2 strips of barbed wire 10 feet apart. Fill the gap with 200,000 land mines. Less obtrusive, probably far cheaper and I'd expect far more effective.

Old 06-29-2016, 11:17 AM

2,464 posts, read 1,287,846 times
Quote:
The word WHY often implies a question.

I didn't realize it was a ridiculous conclusion you had drawn.

It would me much like saying, "Why do the homeless sleep on the streets when they can just buy homes."

Some people might take it as a ridiculous question instead of a ridiculous statement.
I see you missed the point of my statement completely if you think it is the same as your homeless comment. If someone can legally walk in the front door as a visitor and then just not leave, then why would they want to cross a hot desert to get here? You can surround this entire country with fences, but illegals would still be able to easily get into the country via the same means they have always used.....

Sorry if my statement was too confusing for you....

Old 06-29-2016, 12:09 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,990,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Personally, I'd be fine with 2 strips of barbed wire 10 feet apart. Fill the gap with 200,000 land mines. Less obtrusive, probably far cheaper and I'd expect far more effective.
You'd be blowing up a lot of coyotes (the 4-legged kind).

But maybe you could get the land mines from the Acme Land Mine Co.

Old 06-29-2016, 12:13 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,744,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You'd be blowing up a lot of coyotes (the 4-legged kind).
The coyote population is the least of our worries...

Old 06-29-2016, 12:18 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Quote:
If someone can legally walk in the front door as a visitor and then just not leave, then why would they want to cross a hot desert to get here?
Since thousands walk across the desert to get in, does that mean, according to your theory, that here is no front door?

Let me know if this is too confusing for you.

Death in the desert: The dangerous trek between Mexico and Arizona | Al Jazeera America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies