Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:44 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,912,063 times

Advertisements

Def time to put a stop to ANY "affirmative action" except for US veterans.

Old 07-10-2016, 02:49 PM

1,094 posts, read 499,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Veterans absolutely deserve it (a couple guys in my neighborhood were in the Afghanistan and Iraq meat-grinders), on that I totally agree!

Old 07-10-2016, 02:52 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
When employers stop discriminating against non-whites then sure

Old 07-10-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
When employers stop discriminating against non-whites then sure
What the hell's a "non white" person? Some Asians have pasty white skin and, some anglo "white" people are pretty brown like as in darker than many Hispanics and even some "Black" people.

Old 07-10-2016, 04:53 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,946,153 times
Quote:
What the hell's a "non white" person? Some Asians have pasty white skin and, some anglo "white" people are pretty brown like as in darker than many Hispanics and even some "Black" people.
Come on Packard you very well know I mean non-European race

Old 07-10-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Come on Packard you very well know I mean non-European race
Going by this thread; many "Asians" are already being discriminated AGAINST here in the US cause they're of Chinese and so on family so, they're def NOT "European white". Their kind DON'T need affirmative action, just a level playing field in school. Too; if talking DNA, many US "Hispanic" people are also part "Asian" through their Indian heritage.

Old 07-10-2016, 08:59 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corascant View Post
That is interesting, thanks for posting, that makes me wonder if there's some generational gap in terms of support for the policies, that could also be figuring in the migration movements-- older Asian-Americans much more supportive of affirmative action, younger Asian-Americans much more against affirmative action (which would consistent with the emigration to Asia which is overwhelmingly younger Asian-Americans). From the articles on the lawsuits against the Ivy League colleges for affirmative action, there are dozens of Asian-Americans organizations joining as plaintiffs, but looks like they're overwhelmingly younger organizations with younger Asian demographics, while the older and more established Asian-American organizations seem to be more in favor of the colleges' policies and making very pro-affirmative action legal briefs. Same with the big uproar in the Asian-American community that shut down California official's plans to re-introduce overt affirmative action a couple years ago, that was overwhelmingly driven by the younger Asian-Americans based on the news reports. (Like I said affirmative action has made a major comeback in California anyway, though usually with more subtle geography based approaches like in Texas.) Anecdotally I found this to be true too, it's mainly younger Asian-Americans and early career people who object so much to affirmative action, including the Vietnamese and Filipinos I know, and among the Asian-American emigres who went back to Asia, it was only the younger ones I talked to who even mentioned anything about affirmative action. I don't hear much of an issue out of the older generations.

National background is interesting too, in my experience a lot of Vietnamese and Filipino-Americans tend to be more against than for, though again it's mostly from talking to the younger generations, so I guess if there's a generation gap it's probably bigger for these groups. Another complication is, and I'll admit I don't understand this at all, seems like some Filipino-Americans even in my own family can register as Hispano/Latino and be eligible for affirmative action (I guess if they speak Spanish well enough or some factor like that), while others aren't, that also may explain some of the differences. Whereas ex. Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Afghan Asian-Americans seem to be a lot more in favor of affirmative action even among the younger members, this maybe because of recent rise of recruitment programs for Muslim-Americans but who knows, might be other cultural reasons too. Also noticed much lower rate of emigration from these groups, maybe understandable given the ongoing war and instability in places like Afghanistan compared to for ex. China, India or even Vietnam nowadays.
I primarily grew up with Vietnamese Americans and Laosian Americans and they all supported Affirmative Action. I have actually never met an Asian American person who has not supported Affirmative Action, which is why your views on this is odd.

On the red.....as stated many times Asian Americans are considered to be minorities just by being ethnically Asian....They do not need to claim to be Hispanic/Latino to be "eligible" for Affirmative Action. They already are...

I really don't see how you are not understanding this. And FWIW all of the Asian Americans I know are well aware that they qualify for Affirmative Action in the workplace. IMO that is the reason why a majority support it.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:44 AM

1,094 posts, read 499,763 times
Quote:
Veterans absolutely deserve it (a couple guys in my neighborhood were in the Afghanistan and Iraq meat-grinders), on that I totally agree!
A bit OT but some report on the TV news last night about how US veterans now have record high homeless and suicide rates, in major part because shut out of employment and business opportunities when they get back home, and because many agencies consider them a cost and don't want to provide mental health coverage while health insurance companies prey on the ones with PTSD. That's just so f---ed up, it's like they're considered expendable when they're no longer useful to types who send them into these wars in the first place.

Old 07-11-2016, 11:50 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,830,864 times
Quote:
A bit OT but some report on the TV news last night about how US veterans now have record high homeless and suicide rates, in major part because shut out of employment and business opportunities when they get back home, and because many agencies consider them a cost and don't want to provide mental health coverage while health insurance companies prey on the ones with PTSD. That's just so f---ed up, it's like they're considered expendable when they're no longer useful to types who send them into these wars in the first place.
Sorry to harp on you but you do realize that veterans can get mental health services at the VA for free right? My FIL is a Vietnam vet with PTSD and he gets his mental health care via the VA. My dad is also a Vietnam era vet (did not go to war, came into the military when the war was ending) and he gets all of his medical care through the VA.

I agree we do not provide enough support for our veterans but also please note that black Americans are overrepresented in the military and in the veteran population so if you are willing to give Affirmative Action only to veterans, more black people will probably get that assistance versus Asians or other minority groups.

Also FWIW, veteran owned businesses also get a preference for some federal agencies in contracting opportunities.

Old 07-11-2016, 02:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,363,103 times
Quote:
You're at it again. Just stop with trying to muddy the waters (pun intended) on interpreting skin color and race too literally - nobody is buying that nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies