Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 04:58 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
The perception is from people who don't have any viable perspective on what life for blacks was like 50 or 60+ years ago. My grandparents were, quite literally, dirt floor poor in the post-depression era south. Oppression for blacks was the way of the day. My great grandfather was a sharecropper in North Carolina. My grandfather grew up in southern Virginia and witnessed things that would never EVER occur in 21st century America unless someone was looking to truly initiate a race riot. However, they had a modicum of self respect and responsibility. They could've rightly blamed their woes on the Jim Crow era they were very much living in. Instead, my grandfather fought in WWII, went on to start his own businesses, and truly did carve his own piece of the "American Dream" in spite of what was, at times, a challenging and ominous socioeconomic climate for us.

When I think of my grandfather and my own father and how hard they worked to achieve what they have, I can't offer much sympathy to the young black men who choose to loiter around gas stations and shopping centers here in Baltimore on weekdays when the rest of us are at work. As a person who had to walk over a mile to catch a bus and ride 40 minutes to a job at lowly Wendy's at 16, I can't sympathize with us excusing the poor behavior of our youth with the same, tired, "we need jobs... we need summer programs" bit - when they live two blocks from a bus line. I can't sympathize with those blaming whites and others for them viewing us as dangerous, when we've generated millions, if not billions, of dollars endorsing a culture of which we are willing participants in perpetuating the idea that we are a danger. I can't sympathize with Black Lives Matter while living in a city where I'm somewhere north of 70% more likely to be shot by someone who looks like me, than a police officer, especially given that I've already been robbed at gunpoint by someone else black who had absolutely no regard for my black life.

I'm simply not for the excuses anymore. I've seen the results of good decisions - against seemingly insurmountable odds - and know that much of the reason why many blacks find themselves in a disadvantaged position is because we've collectively made a long string of bad decisions. The problem is that we have a difficult time turning the mirror back on ourselves. We have a hard time admitting our mistakes. For those blacks, like me, who point out our stake in the problem, we are summarily dismissed as Uncle Toms and coons - traitors to the black race. Makes it hard for us to want to be part of the solution.

No matter your race.......You are the type of person who anyone could respect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 05:01 PM

89,060 posts, read 44,877,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
What difference does it make who was selling them?
The difference is that THAT'S WHO MADE THEM INTO SLAVES.

How do you NOT get that?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
And, since you are so fond of facts, lets get a fact straight. Anthony Johnson did not set the precedent of turning an indentured servant into an indentured servant for life thereby creating a slave.

The precedent was set by a colonial Virginia court and I'm quite sure the person in charge of that court was not an African American.
The court set the precedent ON BEHALF OF ANTHONY JOHNSON, A BLACK MAN.

Why are you SO resistant to the TRUTH?

Where would the Black slaves have come from if African Blacks hadn't first captured other Black Africans into slavery and sold them into the Atlantic slave trade?

Where would the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies be if Anthony Johnson (a Black man) hadn't first set the original legal precedent for the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In short, there was no law forbidding Blacks from living there, but this was a backdoor way of making sure it didn't happen.

What city was this?

I'm wondering what places do this in the state I live in.
Yes.......you're not surprised there was and continues to be back door racism are you? I don't think its any secret that real estate companies colluded in this practice as well by steering black people to black neighborhoods sign or no sign. It was a small city/suburb outside Atlanta.

They don't do it anymore in reading their current sign ordinances. I don't know, but imagine it ceased when real estate began being driven by internet advertising rather than people driving around looking for houses for sale in areas they wanted to live and they realized not only would it be ineffective but they could be sued.

Could also have been when non-natives moved in and sold not caring what the neighbors thought of whom they sold to. In other words, people more concerned about selling their house than maintaining a certain demographic in the neighborhood.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
No, it is not a lie. Good try though.

Selling drugs or collecting welfare is easier? Name me one person who really wants to be on welfare and live in a roach infested ghetto? That is a lie. A big one... I know, I knew people in those places. You might find some mentally challenged person on YouTube explaining how great the life is... sure. That is another issue within the AA community. See, many issues overlap. But we want to simply everything... that is why there are no solutions.

Anyway, selling drugs was all some of them knew about.. and soon dug themselves into a hole. Once you get arrested, guess what, there goes your military choice (okay, you can get a waiver, but still).

As I mentioned, families play a huge role. How did you learn of your choices? Who supported you? Just because you went to a poor black school (did not know those existed), does not mean you had the same social structure or support.

Choices. Heres a shocker............choose the military as a choice BEFORE you decide to become a drug dealer.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:09 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
The difference is that THAT'S WHO MADE THEM INTO SLAVES.

How do you NOT get that?
No buyer, no slave.....at least not in this country.

How do you NOT get that?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
No buyer, no slave.....at least not in this country.
Incorrect. No SELLER, no slave.

Got that?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Why is selling drugs easier than hard work? Drugs are in demand. We should also address why so many people keep doing drugs despite it being illegal and carrying a prison sentence.

You answered your own question.........

Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe at this point. However, whenever I hear someone say "don't bring home(insert ethnicity)", I never hear Middle Eastern. I almost always hear "Black guy". Last I checked, I know more Black males who have been pulled over for "looking suspicious". Last I checked, there are far more threads complaining about Blacks than complaining of any other ethnicity. I have never heard of anyone say "I won't hire a Middle Easterner". I have heard people on this thread say that they wouldn't hire Blacks.

When is the last time someone actually said to you or you overheard saying NOT to bring a black man home? Please post a link to those people on this thread who said they would not hire Blacks??? I looked and did not find any..........

Old 07-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Here is one question. How many Blacks would it take moving into a certain neighborhood before some residents feel like selling their home and leaving vs other ethnic groups?

How many whites moving into a certain neighborhood before some residents felt like selling their home?
Your question has no answer..........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies