Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:18 AM

73,041 posts, read 62,646,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
That would be because they are the most vocal about being "mistreated or oppressed".

Most white people don't hate blacks any more than the other way around. White people mostly get tired of the Victim mentality no matter what race you are.
Maybe being vocal has alot to do with dealing with alot of stuff. It's called standing up for yourself.

I will compare it to the kid being bullied. I was one of those kids who got bullied alot. I remember times having to just "take it" and "not be vocal". It made me feel like a punk. I knew said kid would try me again because in his mind, I'm the push over. I thought "if I was just a few inches taller, and about 50-60 pounds heavier, and had the mentality of "I don't care if I get expelled from school or end up in the hospital", I would take a swing.

Maybe being vocal is way of saying "this is not okay", "there is a problem here". It could be that not being vocal is a way of saying "it's okay, we're push overs". I'm not saying people who are silent are push overs. I'm saying that being silent could send the impression of being a push over. Sending that impression could tell someone else that they can do anything they want to you without impunity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 07:37 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Another example of backdoor discrimination.

Circa 1985.........Richmond VA

White executive giving instructions to ranking panel for job interviews.....no college degree required but applicants are given extra points for college degrees.......ranking panel instructed not to give points for degrees from black colleges.

This happened in the federal govt.

Many white people are ignorant to the systemic, blatant and subtle discrimination that has gone on in this country and continues to exist.
SMH...doesn't surprise me at all.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:33 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There are many German-American and Italian-American organizations, and there always have been.
So what. There are African American organizations, women's' organizations, LGBT organizations, etc. etc. The question put to me was "what makes a person German or Italian". Being an American born of German, Italian or African decent does not make one German, Italian or African.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
Gee, 200 years of slavery, 100 years before given normal rights, and you say "It took a while...". A bit of an understatement.
And 150 years later the ERA still hasn't been ratified.

Old 07-18-2016, 04:14 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,275,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
That's why blacks today are so meek and mild, never standing up for themselves, never objecting to any slight or injustice. I mean... who ever heard of a black person fighting over anything? It never happens. Blacks need to get over this legacy of slavery and learn to care more about being disrespected.
Sorry but no offense intended, you are not from the United States and would have to live here and experience life here for some time before making such a statement.

Blacks are by no means meek and mild. Where on earth did you get that idea from ?. That description is possibly the least accurate there can be. Again, you would have to live here , not just for a quick vacation maybe, but actually live here to have a better idea of what it is like in this land.

Who ever heard of a black person fighting over anything?. Again, where have you been in your life ?......Does not sound you have a any real understanding of Blacks in the USA. Possibly, you have a female friend or two in Japan, who have dated a Black guy and so you all feel top of the World as you feel more "equal minded" and more capable of dealing with race affairs. That was in Japan this is the United States. Very different places. One more time. When you have lived here and have had experiences with Blacks , you will soon change your tune. Those that you once thought meek and gentle will have a different say in that matter. Black people are fierce. Vastly different than say Japanese. Not like some big pet animal that can be cajoled and submitted at will. That is foreign thinking and it shows.

Also, dissest from trying to throw fuel on the fire here. That is if of course you are from Japan. You have enough of problems there as it stands.

Speaking of disrespect, if you are a female from Japan , then you know all about disrespect . Try to fix that first in your own failing land before you feel compelled to tell others how to live. Women and Japan are synonymous with timidity and meekness. There is nothing you can teach in that respect.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:21 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyNTexas View Post
That black people make up 13% of the general population, while also making up 70% of the prison population proves that the system is out to get them.

Do not fall for the racist opinion that this 70% of incarcerated black people are in jail because they actually committed crimes punishable by jail terms.

You see, armed robbery is understandable, and not really a crime, if you are an oppressed black person who is oppressed by the system. In such cases, it is simply leveling the playing field.

After all, how else is a brother to make it in this white dominated, racist world, if he can't knock off a liquor store when the bills come due?
No...it proves that they commit a lot more crimes. How in the heck is it that hard to understand?

Old 07-18-2016, 08:46 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
No...it proves that they commit a lot more crimes. How in the heck is it that hard to understand?
It was sarcasm.

Old 07-18-2016, 08:49 PM

2,528 posts, read 1,658,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeasonedNewbie View Post
And just how do you propose sending back an entire group of people to a continent from which their ancestors were disconnected from their culture and roots?

Don't try to sugarcoat anything.
I think that if they were really oppressed they would leave by themselves.
My Jewish family lived in Russia for centuries, and when we got the permit to leave USSR we left in 24 hours.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:27 AM

10,400 posts, read 15,590,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Sorry but no offense intended, you are not from the United States and would have to live here and experience life here for some time before making such a statement.

Blacks are by no means meek and mild. Where on earth did you get that idea from ?. That description is possibly the least accurate there can be. Again, you would have to live here , not just for a quick vacation maybe, but actually live here to have a better idea of what it is like in this land.

Who ever heard of a black person fighting over anything?. Again, where have you been in your life ?......Does not sound you have a any real understanding of Blacks in the USA. Possibly, you have a female friend or two in Japan, who have dated a Black guy and so you all feel top of the World as you feel more "equal minded" and more capable of dealing with race affairs. That was in Japan this is the United States. Very different places. One more time. When you have lived here and have had experiences with Blacks , you will soon change your tune. Those that you once thought meek and gentle will have a different say in that matter. Black people are fierce. Vastly different than say Japanese. Not like some big pet animal that can be cajoled and submitted at will. That is foreign thinking and it shows.

Also, dissest from trying to throw fuel on the fire here. That is if of course you are from Japan. You have enough of problems there as it stands.

Speaking of disrespect, if you are a female from Japan , then you know all about disrespect . Try to fix that first in your own failing land before you feel compelled to tell others how to live. Women and Japan are synonymous with timidity and meekness. There is nothing you can teach in that respect.
Hey as an African-American I think the Young Lady was talking about the Meek and Mild Era of DR. Martin Luther King , before he was Assassinated by the Unmeek and the Unmild Establishment Infiltrated by racist bigots here in the Good Ole
United States of America.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:30 AM

5,461 posts, read 3,237,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?

What actual evidence do you have the blacks in the USA are "oppressed"?

Old 07-19-2016, 10:33 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,348,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyster View Post
What actual evidence do you have the blacks in the USA are "oppressed"?
I have said ad nauseam that the oppression is subtle. The largest component of the oppression is the erroneous perception of a much greater degree of oppression by those that are down in the socioeconomic scale. For some of them perception becomes reality and hence they cannot thrive. That is why some react violently when there is an encounter with police.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies