Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 01:57 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times

Advertisements

There is nothing in today society or the past of at least forty yeRs that are the results of slavery. Sla wry been over for 150 years but it is still a excuse for one home made failure . So if one can't keep their legs together, one can't keep their pants pulled up, one can't obtain from the alchol and wacky weed, and if one can't get up and stay in school it much be the results of slavery that happen 125 years before one was born
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 01:59 PM

391 posts, read 290,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
A black man can get a job, start a business, join the military, or go to college just the same as any white men. Just because so many blacks turn to lives of crime and thuggin does not make them oppressed. It's called life choices, make good life choices.
Problem is that white people may know the choices....

I speak with many city kids who simply don't know their choices. If you don't know what the military is about or people (flipping back to Vietnam) tell you it is bad for black people, you don't go.

I'll have to be honest though, I'm sure education is key... but trying to change minds is hard. There are huge issues facing the AA community. Some things they have to face head on themselves and resolve.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2016 at 02:49 PM..

Old 07-17-2016, 02:04 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
Problem is that white people may know the choices....

I speak with many city kids who simply don't know their choices. If you don't know what the military is about or people (flipping back to Vietnam) tell you it is bad for black people, you don't go.
That's a lie. I went to a poor all black school and knew my choices. Problem is, selling drugs or collecting welfare is a lot easier then putting in honest hard work.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:06 PM

1,561 posts, read 2,372,689 times
Quote:
That's a lie. I went to a poor all black school and knew my choices. Problem is, selling drugs or collecting welfare is a lot easier then putting in honest hard work.
I wish I could rep you again.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:06 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Actually, it does, to a SIGNIFICANT degree.

Where would the Black slaves have come from if African Blacks hadn't first captured other Black Africans into slavery and sold them into the Atlantic slave trade?

Where would the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies be if Anthony Johnson (a Black man) hadn't first set the original legal precedent for the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies?

What difference does it make who was selling them? We bought them, end of story. We own that choice along with all its ramifications as a country.

What are you suggesting? That black American citizens who believe their civil rights are being violated seek redress in African countries?

And, since you are so fond of facts, lets get a fact straight. Anthony Johnson did not set the precedent of turning an indentured servant into an indentured servant for life thereby creating a slave.

The precedent was set by a colonial Virginia court and I'm quite sure the person in charge of that court was not an African American.

Surely you don't believe this nonsense.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:11 PM

391 posts, read 290,588 times
Quote:
No, it is not a lie. Good try though.

Selling drugs or collecting welfare is easier? Name me one person who really wants to be on welfare and live in a roach infested ghetto? That is a lie. A big one... I know, I knew people in those places. You might find some mentally challenged person on YouTube explaining how great the life is... sure. That is another issue within the AA community. See, many issues overlap. But we want to simply everything... that is why there are no solutions.

Anyway, selling drugs was all some of them knew about.. and soon dug themselves into a hole. Once you get arrested, guess what, there goes your military choice (okay, you can get a waiver, but still).

As I mentioned, families play a huge role. How did you learn of your choices? Who supported you? Just because you went to a poor black school (did not know those existed), does not mean you had the same social structure or support.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:12 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Why is selling drugs easier than hard work? Drugs are in demand. We should also address why so many people keep doing drugs despite it being illegal and carrying a prison sentence.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:20 PM

1,022 posts, read 2,552,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. I do not underestimate the value of personal responsibility. If I commit a criminal act, I do not blame White people for my decision. I chose to it, therefore, I am culpable for it. It is madness to say that making bad choices does not breed bad consequences.

However, this is something else I have to say. Making bad decisions and suffering for them does not negate the fact that Blacks are disliked more than other groups. My thoughts are this. How are we suppose to deal with being more disliked than anyone else, being treated harsher than anyone else? I can take personal responsibility for my own behavior, so I'm not worried about that. My worry is about how I will be treated vis a vis the rest of the American population. Granted, things are much better than the 1960s. More Blacks have college degrees, professional jobs, are in the middle class, than ever before. Those Blacks who made it don't really find themselves wanting to live among the underclass. Yes, there are plenty of success stories. That said, it doesn't negate that we are still looked down on more than anyone else. Call it "perpetual victimhood" all you want? Can you refute that Black Americans get more hate than anyone else?
Yes, I can refute that last question. I would argue that Muslim Americans and non-Muslims from North Africa and the Middle East who are mistaken as Muslim are currently the most hated group in America.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:29 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
No, it is not a lie. Good try though.

Selling drugs or collecting welfare is easier? Name me one person who really wants to be on welfare and live in a roach infested ghetto? That is a lie. A big one... I know, I knew people in those places. You might find some mentally challenged person on YouTube explaining how great the life is... sure. That is another issue within the AA community. See, many issues overlap. But we want to simply everything... that is why there are no solutions.

Anyway, selling drugs was all some of them knew about.. and soon dug themselves into a hole. Once you get arrested, guess what, there goes your military choice (okay, you can get a waiver, but still).

As I mentioned, families play a huge role. How did you learn of your choices? Who supported you? Just because you went to a poor black school (did not know those existed), does not mean you had the same social structure or support.
Are you seriously that naive? Tons of people love collecting food stamps and being on welfare. They have no values. No one taught me the choices to make. My dad was a worthless alcoholic and my mom scribed toilets to support my brothers and I. I could have sold drugs but I knew it was wrong. EVERYONE KNOWS selling drugs is wrong. I knew I had to make a decision to better myself so I joined the army. My brothers busted their butts and paid their way through college. Skin color had nothing to do with it. I know black people I graduated with me that are far my successful than I am. Because that is the path THEY CHOSE. And I know others that are dealing, criminals, or dead because that is the path THEY picked. They picked up the gun or the Rock and others picked up a pen or a rifle to protect this country.

Old 07-17-2016, 02:30 PM

73,038 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Yes, I can refute that last question. I would argue that Muslim Americans and non-Muslims from North Africa and the Middle East who are mistaken as Muslim are currently the most hated group in America.
Maybe at this point. However, whenever I hear someone say "don't bring home(insert ethnicity)", I never hear Middle Eastern. I almost always hear "Black guy". Last I checked, I know more Black males who have been pulled over for "looking suspicious". Last I checked, there are far more threads complaining about Blacks than complaining of any other ethnicity. I have never heard of anyone say "I won't hire a Middle Easterner". I have heard people on this thread say that they wouldn't hire Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies