Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 05:21 PM

12,037 posts, read 6,567,177 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
The perception is from people who don't have any viable perspective on what life for blacks was like 50 or 60+ years ago. My grandparents were, quite literally, dirt floor poor in the post-depression era south. Oppression for blacks was the way of the day. My great grandfather was a sharecropper in North Carolina. My grandfather grew up in southern Virginia and witnessed things that would never EVER occur in 21st century America unless someone was looking to truly initiate a race riot. However, they had a modicum of self respect and responsibility. They could've rightly blamed their woes on the Jim Crow era they were very much living in. Instead, my grandfather fought in WWII, went on to start his own businesses, and truly did carve his own piece of the "American Dream" in spite of what was, at times, a challenging and ominous socioeconomic climate for us.

When I think of my grandfather and my own father and how hard they worked to achieve what they have, I can't offer much sympathy to the young black men who choose to loiter around gas stations and shopping centers here in Baltimore on weekdays when the rest of us are at work. As a person who had to walk over a mile to catch a bus and ride 40 minutes to a job at lowly Wendy's at 16, I can't sympathize with us excusing the poor behavior of our youth with the same, tired, "we need jobs... we need summer programs" bit - when they live two blocks from a bus line. I can't sympathize with those blaming whites and others for them viewing us as dangerous, when we've generated millions, if not billions, of dollars endorsing a culture of which we are willing participants in perpetuating the idea that we are a danger. I can't sympathize with Black Lives Matter while living in a city where I'm somewhere north of 70% more likely to be shot by someone who looks like me, than a police officer, especially given that I've already been robbed at gunpoint by someone else black who had absolutely no regard for my black life.

I'm simply not for the excuses anymore. I've seen the results of good decisions - against seemingly insurmountable odds - and know that much of the reason why many blacks find themselves in a disadvantaged position is because we've collectively made a long string of bad decisions. The problem is that we have a difficult time turning the mirror back on ourselves. We have a hard time admitting our mistakes. For those blacks, like me, who point out our stake in the problem, we are summarily dismissed as Uncle Toms and coons - traitors to the black race. Makes it hard for us to want to be part of the solution.
But you and other blacks like yourself are exactly what our country needs right now.
Our best employee is black and has the same sentiments as yours but feels he has to stay quiet within his own community and even part of his family.
We need to see strong black leadership with those good values stressed and celebrated.
There are some courageous and heroic black conservatives trying, but they get criticized or ignored by the liberal MSM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 05:25 PM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Like don't walk around while being black? Is that a choice?
Anyone who isn't blind knows the facts. Blacks are targeted by our racist law enforcement. The war on drugs is a perfect and obvious example of that. Get your head out of the sand and look for the truth.
There are plenty of words to use for what you and others describe. 'Oppression' is an exaggeration.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:26 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Yes.......you're not surprised there was and continues to be back door racism are you? I don't think its any secret that real estate companies colluded in this practice as well by steering black people to black neighborhoods sign or no sign. It was a small city/suburb outside Atlanta.

They don't do it anymore in reading their current sign ordinances. I don't know, but imagine it ceased when real estate began being driven by internet advertising rather than people driving around looking for houses for sale in areas they wanted to live and they realized not only would it be ineffective but they could be sued.

Could also have been when non-natives moved in and sold not caring what the neighbors thought of whom they sold to. In other words, people more concerned about selling their house than maintaining a certain demographic in the neighborhood.
I live in the Atlanta area, so I am wondering if this was in Forsyth County.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:29 PM

73,007 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
When is the last time someone actually said to you or you overheard saying NOT to bring a black man home? Please post a link to those people on this thread who said they would not hire Blacks??? I looked and did not find any..........
It was from a thread back in 2013/2014. Since I don't really date at all or try anymore, I haven't heard much. Anyway, why are you trying to discount everything I just said?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:42 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,769,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
This is the thing. I do not underestimate the value of personal responsibility. If I commit a criminal act, I do not blame White people for my decision. I chose to it, therefore, I am culpable for it. It is madness to say that making bad choices does not breed bad consequences.

However, this is something else I have to say. Making bad decisions and suffering for them does not negate the fact that Blacks are disliked more than other groups. My thoughts are this. How are we suppose to deal with being more disliked than anyone else, being treated harsher than anyone else? I can take personal responsibility for my own behavior, so I'm not worried about that. My worry is about how I will be treated vis a vis the rest of the American population. Granted, things are much better than the 1960s. More Blacks have college degrees, professional jobs, are in the middle class, than ever before. Those Blacks who made it don't really find themselves wanting to live among the underclass. Yes, there are plenty of success stories. That said, it doesn't negate that we are still looked down on more than anyone else. Call it "perpetual victimhood" all you want? Can you refute that Black Americans get more hate than anyone else?
I don't refute it but do suggest that the reasons today are different than they might have been long ago. The current problem is the size of the dysfunctional segment of black society in proportion to the total is such that is often casts a shadow on all. Unfair, yes, but I think it is part of the current reality for many. 50 years of post-civil rights legislation and 50 years of Affirmative Action and vast sums of money on programs intended to help lift the black community into the mainstream has created what I term compassion fatigue. This is especially so in light of the social justice warriors putting so much effort into a divide and conquer strategy that just makes race relations worse and worse. If they would just stop blaming whites for every bad choice a black person makes some healing might begin.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:43 PM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?
Well, black leaders and democrats have sure not helped them, maybe a change of pace is warranted?

Old 07-17-2016, 05:46 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,348,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennydreadful View Post
Blacks are the cause of their own problems. I am sick and tired of them trying to pawn their crap off on the rest of us. Pull your pants up and quit your whining and act like humans. Quit killing, robbing and rapping and start to work for your money. Remember that skank who said that her cousin was breaking into a home to get money for school cloths. LMFAO how was he supposed to get his money she said. I don't know work for it like the rest of us.
"School cloths" Not even going to take your bait.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It is a historical fact that the Black man was hated the moment he stepped on this shore. Now, are Blacks becoming more successful each day? Yes.
We agree. One of my hobbies is genealogy. I use old newspapers to search for info on ancestors.

If you don't already understand that black men have struggled with this since they arrived, all you have to do is read old newspapers to get educated.

Mainstream papers have editorials and news articles depicting black males as apes, savages, hypersexual deviants, etc.

Whether you know it or not, any white person arriving in the country prior to the twentieth century was conditioned to believe that black men are inferior/savage beings. And, in lots of places this continued well into the twentieth century.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:54 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
There are plenty of words to use for what you and others describe. 'Oppression' is an exaggeration.
Oppression - unjust treatment.

We know the two biggest obstacles to finding a job are lack of education and a criminal record.

Blacks use drugs at similar rates as other races and make up 13 percent of the population. Of the 225,242 people who were serving time in state prisons for drug offenses in 2011, blacks made up 45 percent.

Nothing to see here, move along.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:59 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,438,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
I'm curious.....what words?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies