Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 09:03 AM

12,030 posts, read 9,367,414 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
How about speaking in normal English?

Most people don't know what MEMES are, and have no reason to know what they are -- other than the fact that they are B.S.

Solve your own problems.

Like other people do.

Well said.

Sorry, they need to create something to "fall back on" -- just like everyone else.

So you're actually -- HA HA HA HA HA -- saying that blacks in Africa have had it BETTER than American blacks.

TOO FUNNY!
You failed to post anything meaningful. Mocking is a great tool in a debate, but I would love to see some substance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 11:29 AM

1,022 posts, read 2,556,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
I was not justifying the failures. And not everybody has the greatness you had in your ancestors. The issue is what to do about those that are failing. Simply saying: How come you are not as successful as I am will not help them.
Obviously, I'm not simply asking "how come you are not as successful", as I've been providing some insight into why some of us aren't successful. And yes, I am fortunate to have had the family structure that I had. But, as I previously discussed, it was because somewhere along the lines someone made the choice to maintain that strong family structure.

That's mostly what this comes down to: choices. Even if I agree that we are oppressed, that we are America's victim, we still have choices to make which could either benefit or hinder our progress. My ancestors made the best choices they could despite slavery and Jim Crow. My wife, who was raised in a third world country in conditions that would make our stomachs turn, came to America with virtually nothing and has done extremely well for herself. I haven't heard her complain about what she lived through as it relates to her capabilities; if anything, those aspects of her life fueled her drive to be where she currently is.

Sadly, many of us still make terrible choices which inevitably affect the future generations, and so it goes. But we legitimize our failures, our bad decision making, and our lack of ownership of our problems by continuing to push the "victim" narrative. This does nothing to help us. It's one thing to attack racism and discrimination where it is warranted, but these blanket, generalized, statements - such as the title of this post - perpetuate the victim narrative that cripples us and pushes us further away from having any incentive to own our problems and develop realistic solutions.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:04 PM

89,311 posts, read 45,033,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
Just stop. Stop being ridiculous.
What's "ridiculous" about posting the FACTS that African Blacks are responsible for capturing and selling Blacks into the Atlantic slave trade slavery, and that the first legal slave owner in the American colonies was a Black man?

Why base your perception on "feelings" instead of ACTUAL FACTS?

That's clearly indicative of intellectual weakness.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
So what?

Are you using the "they do it too" excuse to justify unsavory actions?
No. I'm saying that if they (Black Africans capturing and selling other African Blacks into slavery) hadn't done so to begin with, none of the New World slavery would have resulted.

Blame the perpetrators: Black Africans.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:13 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,463,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
What's "ridiculous" about posting the FACTS that African Blacks are responsible for capturing and selling Blacks into the Atlantic slave trade slavery, and that the first legal slave owner in the American colonies was a Black man?

Why base your perception on "feelings" instead of ACTUAL FACTS?

That's clearly indicative of intellectual weakness.
It has no bearing on the results of slavery in this country.

As a country we condoned and made slavery legal.

Doesn't matter whether we went to Africa and captured slaves ourselves or bought them from someone else.

It's interesting as a fact of history.

Has nothing to do with the fact that as a country we are responsible for the ill effects of slavery in the US some of which continue today.

Please explain how it is relevant.

Old 07-17-2016, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondy View Post
It has no bearing on the results of slavery in this country.
Actually, it does, to a SIGNIFICANT degree.

Where would the Black slaves have come from if African Blacks hadn't first captured other Black Africans into slavery and sold them into the Atlantic slave trade?

Where would the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies be if Anthony Johnson (a Black man) hadn't first set the original legal precedent for the ownership of Black slaves in the American colonies?

Old 07-17-2016, 01:46 PM

73,141 posts, read 62,801,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Griff View Post
Obviously, I'm not simply asking "how come you are not as successful", as I've been providing some insight into why some of us aren't successful. And yes, I am fortunate to have had the family structure that I had. But, as I previously discussed, it was because somewhere along the lines someone made the choice to maintain that strong family structure.

That's mostly what this comes down to: choices. Even if I agree that we are oppressed, that we are America's victim, we still have choices to make which could either benefit or hinder our progress. My ancestors made the best choices they could despite slavery and Jim Crow. My wife, who was raised in a third world country in conditions that would make our stomachs turn, came to America with virtually nothing and has done extremely well for herself. I haven't heard her complain about what she lived through as it relates to her capabilities; if anything, those aspects of her life fueled her drive to be where she currently is.

Sadly, many of us still make terrible choices which inevitably affect the future generations, and so it goes. But we legitimize our failures, our bad decision making, and our lack of ownership of our problems by continuing to push the "victim" narrative. This does nothing to help us. It's one thing to attack racism and discrimination where it is warranted, but these blanket, generalized, statements - such as the title of this post - perpetuate the victim narrative that cripples us and pushes us further away from having any incentive to own our problems and develop realistic solutions.
This is the thing. I do not underestimate the value of personal responsibility. If I commit a criminal act, I do not blame White people for my decision. I chose to it, therefore, I am culpable for it. It is madness to say that making bad choices does not breed bad consequences.

However, this is something else I have to say. Making bad decisions and suffering for them does not negate the fact that Blacks are disliked more than other groups. My thoughts are this. How are we suppose to deal with being more disliked than anyone else, being treated harsher than anyone else? I can take personal responsibility for my own behavior, so I'm not worried about that. My worry is about how I will be treated vis a vis the rest of the American population. Granted, things are much better than the 1960s. More Blacks have college degrees, professional jobs, are in the middle class, than ever before. Those Blacks who made it don't really find themselves wanting to live among the underclass. Yes, there are plenty of success stories. That said, it doesn't negate that we are still looked down on more than anyone else. Call it "perpetual victimhood" all you want? Can you refute that Black Americans get more hate than anyone else?

Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM

37,973 posts, read 17,924,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL I got to stop communicating with some of these City Data Types.......
LLLLLLLLOOOOOOOLLLLLLLL You haven't communicated. Babbling incoherrently and ignoring the issue, isn't communicating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howest2008 View Post
Your Honor I Rest My Case.......AND DROP THE MICROPHONE........................................ ......LOL.
The only thing you dropped is your intelligence level on this topic. Keep posting nonsense while you ignore the issue. GIVE YOUR MOMMY HER MICROPHONE BACK.............................................L OL.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,298,171 times
Quote:
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?
Stop asking what can be done and live your ****ing life.

Old 07-17-2016, 01:56 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,827,293 times
Quote:
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?
A black man can get a job, start a business, join the military, or go to college just the same as any white men. Just because so many blacks turn to lives of crime and thuggin does not make them oppressed. It's called life choices, make good life choices.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-17-2016 at 02:48 PM.. Reason: personal attack
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies