Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 06:01 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,446,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I live in the Atlanta area, so I am wondering if this was in Forsyth County.
No. If you need to know specifically, pm me. I don't feel comfortable giving out that level of specificity online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2016, 06:03 PM

2,248 posts, read 2,350,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Oppression - unjust treatment.

We know the two biggest obstacles to finding a job are lack of education and a criminal record.

Blacks use drugs at similar rates as other races and make up 13 percent of the population. Of the 225,242 people who were serving time in state prisons for drug offenses in 2011, blacks made up 45 percent.

Nothing to see here, move along.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4PXQ6RYXZQ

Explains alot and this is just one city.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Oppression - unjust treatment.

We know the two biggest obstacles to finding a job are lack of education and a criminal record.

Blacks use drugs at similar rates as other races and make up 13 percent of the population. Of the 225,242 people who were serving time in state prisons for drug offenses in 2011, blacks made up 45 percent.

Nothing to see here, move along.
Another example of backdoor discrimination.

Circa 1985.........Richmond VA

White executive giving instructions to ranking panel for job interviews.....no college degree required but applicants are given extra points for college degrees.......ranking panel instructed not to give points for degrees from black colleges.

This happened in the federal govt.

Many white people are ignorant to the systemic, blatant and subtle discrimination that has gone on in this country and continues to exist.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:40 PM

30,075 posts, read 18,678,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
That Obama won the presidency did not help.

Blacks have little power and remain victims of their history in the US.

What can be done?

Electing black leaders does not do the job. What are the alternatives. More of the same?
We need to send blacks back to Africa (no return ticket) so that they can experience a completely just, healthy, and safe environment which does not suffer from racism.

Then, and only then, can blacks prosper without the burden of racism.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:59 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,820,237 times
Quote:
Like don't walk around while being black? Is that a choice?
Anyone who isn't blind knows the facts. Blacks are targeted by our racist law enforcement. The war on drugs is a perfect and obvious example of that. Get your head out of the sand and look for the truth.
Get out of here with that ridiculous garbage. I worked law enforcement for 5 years and have friends and family that still work law enforcement. There is no secret bond between cops that say, "hey guys, let's only get black people." Want to know why more black people get arrested? Because more black people commit crime. SIMPLE AS THAT. Wanna go out and play gangbanger? There are repercussions for those actions, plain and simple. How hard is that for stupid people to understand?

Old 07-17-2016, 07:03 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,283,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
My husband - who is white - grew up dirt poor, the child of two very young parents who migrated from the swamps of Cajun Louisiana to Texas during the oil boom. His dad was killed in an oilfield accident at the age of 29. His mother used the tiny life insurance policy that he had to go to college and earn a teaching degree - the first degree earned in her family EVER.

Back in those times, there was no thought of suing a company for unsafe working conditions. She got a bouquet of flowers from the company her husband worked for and that was it.

She had two small boys under the age of 9 at the time. Her mom watched the kids while she went to evening classes and worked during the day. They grew up in very hard times, in a tiny clapboard house, in a tiny, dusty Texas town.

My husband went to community college, and then began working in the oil and gas industry, making $6 an hour. He has busted his butt in that industry for 35 years. He makes a very comfortable living now but it's because he's kept a job, never failed a drug screen, never been arrested, never been one to stay out drinking and partying resulting in a hangover that impacted his ability to work well, never gotten a DUI which would keep him from being able to drive to work, never been fired, never even been laid off even in the worst of times because he was such a hard worker - in fact, he has only called in sick ONE TIME in his entire life - and that was when he had pneumonia.

An aside note - he and I had our DNA tested just for kicks. Turns out, I'm the whitest person I have ever met. He, on the other hand, has an amazing mixture of racial DNA -including West African DNA (that was a surprise, considering that he has straight blonde hair and blue eyes and looks like a Viking). Guess that's that bayou heritage coming out. Anyway, he comes from a very long line of very hard working people. He wasn't raised with the concept of making excuses for anything, or with the idea of being a victim, even though in many ways he WAS a victim and could have justified all sorts of failures in his life.
That post should be required reading for anyone, of any color, who blames everyone and everything, not themselves, for their failures. It was one of the best ones I've read(or written!) in a long time. Kudos.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:05 PM

1,544 posts, read 925,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
We need to send blacks back to Africa (no return ticket) so that they can experience a completely just, healthy, and safe environment which does not suffer from racism.

Then, and only then, can blacks prosper without the burden of racism.
And just how do you propose sending back an entire group of people to a continent from which their ancestors were disconnected from their culture and roots?

Don't try to sugarcoat anything.

Old 07-17-2016, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Incorrect. No SELLER, no slave.

Got that?
Look, if we wanted to debate fault perhaps it would be relevant.

Fault is irrelevant.

The fact is that as a country we condoned, permitted and legalized slavery. Further, we legalized racism that made slavery tolerable to many Americans until we didn't.

Once slavery was illegal, we were and are stuck with the consequences of having allowed/legalized slavery.

It really doesn't matter how it came to be, we are left with the legacy of slavery.

That is on us as a country.

We are all reaping the consequences of our ancestors decisions.

The question is not who is to blame for any of these decisions. The question is what we today should do about the consequences of our country's immoral decisions.

Old 07-17-2016, 10:33 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,020,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
It was from a thread back in 2013/2014. Since I don't really date at all or try anymore, I haven't heard much. Anyway, why are you trying to discount everything I just said?

Defensive much? I had never seen any comments like you have described. Wanted to see and read for myself. So its been 3 years?

Old 07-17-2016, 10:42 PM

1,149 posts, read 935,485 times
Most I know thought they would have it made when Obama got elected. Apparently it did not pan out that way. He is the PRESIDENT, not an activist!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies