Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 12:43 PM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golimar View Post
Actually Liberals see Muslims as inferior.

See Post # 79
Bill Maher is hardly the poster-boy for average liberals. I think he's sort of the liberal version of Donald Trump, actually--nothing much more than a blow-hard in love with the sound of his own voice, who appeals to those that are afraid and unwilling to educate themselves on issues. He's just feeding a pablum of easy to understand ideas to make people think what he wants them to think. So there's that.

But the real issue here is that the US government is supposed to represent the people. So, for how many years were there whole swaths of the population unrepresented? We had a government of white men, but not a country made up of just white men. That has been changing, and will continue to change--and it should. Minnesota has a large Somali population, and the government should reflect that.

I am very curious about something, though. I have heard over and over and over again in the last several years the statement that if there are "good Muslims," they should oppose the action of "bad Muslims." You know, the whole "if you're against ISIS, why aren't you fighting against them?" thing. Well, here's an example of someone who is. She's not firing a gun, but she's fighting just the same. She's grown up in this country and fell in love with the ideals of Democracy. She started traveling with her grandfather to state caucuses when she was a young teen to help translate for him. So her family has a history of engaging in American politics. This is what it looks like to fight against ISIS for many. It's a good way to fight, too. And I hope she wins her election. Because Democracy.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,634,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
And we should be afraid...no, I don't believe that they are all extremists...however, if they were not, they would certainly come out and try to be more American and denounce terrorists...but they don't....
The problem is, most of the people who are fanatical about muslims and terrorism are looking at the issue from a very limited and extreme perspective. You seem to think that because you're constantly obsessed with terrorism, everyone else is, too - or should be. The fact is, 99.9999% of the people in America (both muslims and non-muslims) really don't spend a lot of time thinking about it. It isn't really important to them to go around "denouncing" it; most healthy, well-balanced people just assume that it's a given that they're opposed to terrorism, and don't see the need to shout it from the rooftops.

I'm a male who is against rape, but I don't go around "denouncing" it at every opportunity, because I just take it for granted that people assume I am not in favor of it. I'm a white guy who opposes racism, but I don't jump up and shout about it every time someone walks past me, because I simply assume people don't need me to. If I were a muslim, I don't think I would assume that people needed me to point out that I am against terrorism - I would probably just assume that since I live in the world as a sane, normal, human being, other sane, normal human beings would have no reason to think that I support terrorists.

You guys really, really need to relax and grab some perspective. Very few people share your anxieties and obsessions.

Old 08-11-2016, 12:56 PM

4,095 posts, read 2,567,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Bill Maher is hardly the poster-boy for average liberals. I think he's sort of the liberal version of Donald Trump, actually--nothing much more than a blow-hard in love with the sound of his own voice, who appeals to those that are afraid and unwilling to educate themselves on issues. He's just feeding a pablum of easy to understand ideas to make people think what he wants them to think. So there's that.

But the real issue here is that the US government is supposed to represent the people. So, for how many years were there whole swaths of the population unrepresented? We had a government of white men, but not a country made up of just white men. That has been changing, and will continue to change--and it should. Minnesota has a large Somali population, and the government should reflect that.

I am very curious about something, though. I have heard over and over and over again in the last several years the statement that if there are "good Muslims," they should oppose the action of "bad Muslims." You know, the whole "if you're against ISIS, why aren't you fighting against them?" thing. Well, here's an example of someone who is. She's not firing a gun, but she's fighting just the same. She's grown up in this country and fell in love with the ideals of Democracy. She started traveling with her grandfather to state caucuses when she was a young teen to help translate for him. So her family has a history of engaging in American politics. This is what it looks like to fight against ISIS for many. It's a good way to fight, too. And I hope she wins her election. Because Democracy.
Al Qaeda opposes ISIS too. Opposing ISIS is not the litmus test for a good Muslim.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:02 PM

1,316 posts, read 749,163 times
Quote:
Al Qaeda opposes ISIS too. Opposing ISIS is not the litmus test for a good Muslim.
Hey, way to misdirect! Did you REALLY misunderstand what I said? Or is this just masterfully obstreperous?

If you didn't already know, I will say clearly that I do not think opposing ISIS is a litmus test for a good Muslim.

You go right ahead & until it becomes clear. I can wait.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
Hey, way to misdirect! Did you REALLY misunderstand what I said? Or is this just masterfully obstreperous?

If you didn't already know, I will say clearly that I do not think opposing ISIS is a litmus test for a good Muslim.

You go right ahead & until it becomes clear. I can wait.
I am interested in her views regarding the LGBT community. Do you have anything on that?

Old 08-11-2016, 01:09 PM

2,630 posts, read 1,456,860 times
Why are conservatives so scared of Muslims? I thought as long as you are packing, your safety is assured.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloforLife View Post
Why are conservatives so scared of Muslims? I thought as long as you are packing, your safety is assured.
I'm a Liberal and my concern with Muslims is for these three groups; Women, LGBT and Minorities.

When Muslims gain majority, the rights and safety of these three groups plummet.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:28 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Yes, but there is a slight difference. There are no "Christian" laws that is going to affect my daily life (and I am not a Christian) but there are a lot of Islamic laws which apply to everybody. What if her constituents want that women wear hijab in public anywhere in her district? What if they want to segregate restaurants/pools/buses by sex? What if they want to turn her district into little Somalia? And I don't mean eating ethnic food. How's she gonna vote?
Islamic laws apply to Muslims. Not everybody. We don't live in a theocracy.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Islamic laws apply to Muslims. Not everybody. We don't live in a theocracy.
It's still not acceptable that women get less inheritance than men, Muslim or not.

We should never compromise on our values.

Old 08-11-2016, 01:33 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,898,651 times
Quote:
I am interested in her views regarding the LGBT community. Do you have anything on that?
Why don't you check out Keith Ellison or Andre Carson and their voting records?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies