Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2016, 10:47 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Understood. But you have to understand not all can fight. I've done okay in the past but won't risk my life or my families on it. I have a friend , that sounds similar to you. I've seen him square off against 4 guys and come out laughing. Oddly enough, he just got his CPL, and I actually asked him if he thought it was a good idea....I didn't.
I taught self-defense to people in wheel chairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2016, 10:51 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
IDK, is this Dodge Hellcat a gun manufactured to kill? If so, then it is as bad as giving a gun to a toddler.

There is this thing, that society used to have ...it was called common sense. And anyone with a shred of common sense would know not to mix firearms and toddlers, and 16 year olds and 700hp muscle cars regardless of what their manufactured intent was .

Old 08-11-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
I taught self-defense to people in wheel chairs.

That is very honorable. Kudos. Everyone has a right to defend themselves.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
That is very honorable. Kudos. Everyone has a right to defend themselves.
Yep, and going full bore lethal is always a good option right out of the gate.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:02 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Another analogy. Tobacco use - the major cause of cardiovascular disease, chronic obstructive lung disease and lung cancer - is responsible for approximately one in every ten adult deaths worldwide. Let's ban tobacco.

But tobacco isn't intended to kill - it just does, frequently. Automobiles aren't built to kill, but they do anyway, and whether the drivers involved are under the influence or not.

What are guns intended to do? What is their primary function?

To kill.

Sure, people collect guns and show guns and use guns for target practice and competitive shooting.

But the purpose - not a by-product, but the purpose - of a gun is to kill. That's not true of an automobile, and that's not true of tobacco.

Should guns be banned? No. I've spent most of my life living in open-carry states, states with long and rich traditions in hunting. I am fine with responsible gun ownership.

To get back to your analogy, automobiles and guns are similar in that neither one is dangerous by itself. It's only when a human is added - as the driver of a car or a user of a gun - that those inanimate objects become dangerous, and potentially lethal.

With automobiles and drivers, there's registration and licensing and inspections and insurance and manufacturer's recalls and many state laws regarding the safe and proper use of said automobiles.

I suspect there's plenty of support for similar common-sense laws and regulations regarding the sale and ownership of guns. The Supreme Court, in their Heller decision, affirmed that such laws and regulations are Constitutional.

Source

The 2nd Amendment as written is unlimited and taken to task in the Civil War.

The right to keep and bear arms, does not say, the privilege of citizens 21 years and older, who are non-felons and mentally sane, may keep arms the government allows.

Arms, is unlimited. They had the quill and ink right there, they could have easily wrote, musket, powder and ball, instead of ARMS.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:04 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,341,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The 2nd Amendment as written is unlimited and taken to task in the Civil War.

The right to keep and bear arms, does not say, the privilege of citizens 21 years and older, who are non-felons and mentally sane, may keep arms the government allows.

Arms, is unlimited. They had the quill and ink right there, they could have easily wrote, musket, powder and ball, instead of ARMS.
Are you saying there should be zero regulation? We should have metally ill people running around with guns? We should have known violent criminals carrying around guns?

I'm actually asking because it's unclear what you're trying to say here.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Yep, and going full bore lethal is always a good option right out of the gate.

And who said to do that ? But how do you determine what the attacker is going to do ? How far are they going to go ? And by the way , I was not being sarcastic in my reply, I really do think it is honorable.

Old 08-11-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
And who said to do that ?
You going to shoot the gun out of his hand?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:08 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Liberals always, after any reported deaths involving firearms, are quick to shout for banning of guns, ammunition, and restrict the rights of those who have not committed any crime.

The analogy would be advocating the banning of all automobiles, as drunk drivers kill 27 people per day. Forget the fact that the vast majority of drivers do not kill anyone- we must ban all automobiles to prevent drunk drivers from killing people.
You know it's not legal to drive drunk -- right?

And, btw, who is calling for banning all guns?

Old 08-11-2016, 11:09 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I had to pass a BGC, pay a fee, another fee for being tested on handgun and must carry the pistol card. Coming soon another BGC to buy ammo. For buying a gun there is a ten day wait, DROS fees another BGC and storage fees for the wait period on top of the ridiculous taxes and other fees related to the purchase. On top of the NICS.

It will never be enough to keep them satisfied. I don't know anyone who's shot a person. Ever.

This defeats the purpose of the Minute Man Act. And the ability to secure arms as quick as possible to Militia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies