Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 01:00 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,109,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
I hope they burn down the entire city.
How sweet.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:00 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,758,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Milwaukee had a riot back in 1967. Martial law was implemented. Didn't do much good as there are still problems in Milwaukee today.
That riot was one of 157 that occurred that year.

It, like most other riots that summer , was in reaction to ongoing housing and employment discrimination and perceptions of police brutality.

Round the clock curfew was imposed.

Large scale migration from the South occurred in the 40-50's throughout what is now called the rust belt.
The color of skin determined your job, your wage, your housing and thus your school. Low- skilled Appellation migrants fared substantially better than black migrants, despite that both had minimal skills.

Whites got the lucrative union jobs and benefits while blacks generally pushed the brooms and mops.

Key differences between north and south back then were the industrial jobs clustered in the northern Midwestern states and a black man was less likely to be hanged from a tree in the north.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:01 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
But even barely armed Madison isn't suffering from that kind of lawlessness. Seattle has shaped up since 2001. And people are armed to the teeth in Louisiana. Louisiana leads the nation in murder, and New Orleans is at the epicenter of it. Last I checked, New Orleans isn't soft.

Algiers Point shooting after Hurricane Katrina may never go to trial | NOLA.com
My brother lives in Madison. It's banking, government, and the university. It has to be one of if not the most expensive cities in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Over 50% of the populace have an undergrad degree. 1 in 4 have a masters or higher.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:05 PM

73,028 posts, read 62,634,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
People don't blame "liberals", GM. Many blame BLM, their supporters, their acolytes for the violence and murders of police officers.

A primary responsibility of Government is to keep citizens safe. When the Federal Government colludes with criminals against its citizens and police, people rebel. That is the reason for Trump.

As to Austin's low crime, I suggest you look at the demographics in this city. We can legally defend our home and businesses from such violence, destruction, and theft and I'm sure the citizens of Austin, "liberal" or not, would do just that. The second someone attempts to break in to your home you’re allowed to use deadly force. That same standard also applies in your car or where you work.
I was trying to dispel some myths.

Raleigh, North Carolina has a much larger Black population than Austin. It isn't a high crime city. Last I checked, alot of middle class Blacks are moving to places like Raleigh, Charlotte, Houston, and Dallas. I do agree that being able to defend yourself can help you.

My perspective is this. When an individual lives and dies by the sword, said person won't care.

12,547 posts, read 9,941,358 times
Quote:
That is a sad way to think. I hope they don't burn it down. The last thing we need is that. This is what is needed in Milwaukee
Burn it down and prevent businesses/good people/good cops from coming back. Those that remain can live in 3rd world squalor.

4,345 posts, read 2,796,073 times
Father of Sylville Smith, shot & killed by police: “When they see the wrong role model, this is what you get” | FOX6Now.com

The father has lots to say, something for everyone.

"“What are we gonna do now? Everyone playing their part in this city, blaming the white guy or whatever, and we know what they’re doing. Like, already I feel like they should have never OK'd guns in Wisconsin. They already know what our black youth was doing anyway. These young kids gotta realize this is all a game with them. Like they’re playing Monopoly. You young kids falling into their world, what they want you to do. Everything you do is programmed. I had to blame myself for a lot of things too because your hero is your dad and I played a very big part in my family’s role model for them. Being on the street, doing things of the street life: Entertaining, drug dealing and pimping and they’re looking at their dad like 'he’s doing all these things.' I got out of jail two months ago, but I’ve been going back and forth in jail and they see those things so I’d like to apologize to my kids because this is the role model they look up to. .."

There's more and it all a sad story, one that will be repeated only too soon.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
My brother lives in Madison. It's banking, government, and the university. It has to be one of if not the most expensive cities in the Midwest outside of Chicago.

Over 50% of the populace have an undergrad degree. 1 in 4 have a masters or higher.
Like I mentioned in an earlier post. Educated Blacks don't riot. Middle class Blacks don't do that stuff. Black people with professional jobs aren't involved in that stuff. What we saw in Milwaukee was alot of underclass rioting. Madison doesn't seem to have a large underclass.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Burn it down and prevent businesses/good people/good cops from coming back. Those that remain can live in 3rd world squalor.
Something similar has been going on for years. It hasn't helped in making anything better.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,020,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AADAD View Post
Another opportunity to appreciate the black narrative. Obama has been notified. That should help...I feel better already.
I'm sure he'll comment later, he's busy golfing on "the vineyard" right now...

Old 08-14-2016, 01:11 PM

1,341 posts, read 1,531,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
Milwaukee newspaper just released name and background. It's a doozie...

Man shot by Milwaukee police subject of witness intimidation case
Not as bad as I was expecting. Those folks live in a different world than I do for sure. Glad I live in the country and do not have to deal with stuff like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies