Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 10:41 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly and IQ measures intelligence in terms of western standards. Intelligence is defined as "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations". A resident of South Sudan who can keep his/her family from starving is, according to that definition, intelligent. An individual in the US who has an IQ score of 130 but engages in destructive personal behaviors, smoking, drugs, or overeating is not, in my opinion, the sharpest knife in the drawer
I don't think that way. It suggests that Africans do worse in western IQ tests because they are Africans. I think they could do equally well if they grew up under the same conditions. They don't need a different IQ drawer where soft skills or whatever are stressed more than logic, maths etc.

But when you look at the US for instance, there is a certain history. I don't know if it is true, but I read that slaves were picked for specific purposes before they were shipped to America. Whites did not want intelligent male slaves, but strong ones that would work hard and not cause trouble such as a rebellion. So, that selection might have consequences even today.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:58 AM

42,838 posts, read 26,236,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Well, the problem is simply that locals would not accept it and become racist. But if all Swedes were blind, nobody would notice the difference.
That's why he said 2 million ..reductio ad absurdum.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:31 AM

Quote:
I don't think that way. It suggests that Africans do worse in western IQ tests because they are Africans. I think they could do equally well if they grew up under the same conditions. They don't need a different IQ drawer where soft skills or whatever are stressed more than logic, maths etc.

But when you look at the US for instance, there is a certain history. I don't know if it is true, but I read that slaves were picked for specific purposes before they were shipped to America. Whites did not want intelligent male slaves, but strong ones that would work hard and not cause trouble such as a rebellion. So, that selection might have consequences even today.
I disagree, but if you want to make that claim about black slaves being 'less intelligent', then you should extrapolate it to the example of white indentured servants who comprised 1/2 to 2/3 of the population of early settlers. I doubt if the smartest people in Europe ended up being indentured servants, and if you are correct, a person acquiring one of those servants would logically look for a dumb, subservient one, right? So, does that infer that 1/4 to 1/3 of white Americans today who are related to those early settlers aren't very smart?

Old 11-26-2017, 12:05 PM

Quote:
I disagree, but if you want to make that claim about black slaves being 'less intelligent', then you should extrapolate it to the example of white indentured servants who comprised 1/2 to 2/3 of the population of early settlers. I doubt if the smartest people in Europe ended up being indentured servants, and if you are correct, a person acquiring one of those servants would logically look for a dumb, subservient one, right? So, does that infer that 1/4 to 1/3 of white Americans today who are related to those early settlers aren't very smart?
As I said, I read that claim, it is not mine. But it sounds plausible to me.

Good question. I am not sure what the makeup of the first white settlers was like...

Old 11-26-2017, 12:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,171,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NigerianNightmare View Post
You do realize Neanderthals share 99.7% of their DNA with humans, so if someone is 1-4% Neanderthal that means they share like 99.9999% of their DNA with another human that is zero percent Neanderthal.
Your understanding of math is terrible. You can't just keep hitting the 9 key over and over again and pretend you made a valid point.

Yes, even sub-Saharan Africans have genes in common with Neanderthals but these common genes come from the time before Neanderthals and homo sapiens split. Non-Africans have genes that originated in Neanderthals. In other words, these genetic mutations came from Neanderthals after the time that homo sapiens and Neanderthals diverged from one another. The number of 1 to 4 percentage points of Neanderthal ancestry for non-Africans isn't simply a comparison of genes in common.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Exactly and IQ measures intelligence in terms of western standards. Intelligence is defined as "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations". A resident of South Sudan who can keep his/her family from starving is, according to that definition, intelligent. An individual in the US who has an IQ score of 130 but engages in destructive personal behaviors, smoking, drugs, or overeating is not, in my opinion, the sharpest knife in the drawer
If IQ measures intelligence in terms of Western standards, then why is it that northeast Asians outscore Europeans on IQ tests? Why do some European populations score relatively low on IQ tests? Are South Koreans, who have an average IQ of 105, more Western than Greeks, who have an average IQ of 94?

Old 11-26-2017, 01:07 PM

East Asians have a different attitude to studying. There is a lot of pressure, many parents in Japan, China etc. are very strict, planning the lives of their kids, whereby university is the ultimate goal for their kids.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
East Asians have a different attitude to studying. There is a lot of pressure, many parents in Japan, China etc. are very strict, planning the lives of their kids, whereby university is the ultimate goal for their kids.
Finland has a laid-back educational culture that is low pressure on students, yet Finland scores at the top of Europe on international assessment tests. This has more to do with the Finnish people than it does with the educational culture.

East Asians score higher on IQ tests because they are more intelligent though they are mainly better on the visual-spatial subset of the IQ test. This is something that is often left out of the discussion of IQ tests. Different groups perform better on certain subsets of the tests. Blacks perform better on verbal reasoning than do East Asians or Whites when matched for overall IQ score.

Old 11-26-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
If IQ measures intelligence in terms of Western standards, then why is it that northeast Asians outscore Europeans on IQ tests? Why do some European populations score relatively low on IQ tests? Are South Koreans, who have an average IQ of 105, more Western than Greeks, who have an average IQ of 94?
lol, are you serious? That crap is from Richard Lynn, do you even know who he is?

"For 50 years, Richard Lynn has been at the forefront of scientific racism. An unapologetic eugenicist, Lynn uses his authority as professor (emeritus) of psychology at the University of Ulster to argue for the genetic inferiority of non-white people. Lynn believes that IQ tests can be used to determine the worth of groups of people, especially racial groups and nations. The wealth and power of nations, according to Lynn, is due to their racial intelligence and “homogeneity” (or “purity”). He argues that the nations with the highest IQs must subjugate or eliminate the lower-IQ groups within their borders in order to preserve their dominance."

https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...l/richard-lynn

But wait..it gets better,
"The Pseudoscience of Race Differences in Penis Size - Richard Lynn embarks on a study of penis size as it relates to race and IQ
According to this theory, African men have the smallest brains and the largest penises, whereas Asian men are the opposite. This has been described as a ‘Goldilocks’ theory of race, in which European men are ‘just right’ having a combination of high intelligence and a reasonable genital endowment.
"
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...-in-penis-size

I don't know how to break it to you but that is tin foil hat science

Old 11-26-2017, 01:57 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,133,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Finland has a laid-back educational culture that is low pressure on students, yet Finland scores at the top of Europe on international assessment tests. This has more to do with the Finnish people than it does with the educational culture.

East Asians score higher on IQ tests because they are more intelligent though they are mainly better on the visual-spatial subset of the IQ test. This is something that is often left out of the discussion of IQ tests. Different groups perform better on certain subsets of the tests. Blacks perform better on verbal reasoning than do East Asians or Whites when matched for overall IQ score.
The mean IQ of Finland is actually a point lower than that of the US.

It's almost as if IQ isn't as relevant to success as you think it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies