Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2017, 09:51 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
No. Europeans are part Neanderthal, from about 1-4 percent. Some European populations have more Neanderthal DNA than others. Unmixed sub-Saharan Africans don't have any Neanderthal DNA. If a random European has 4 percent Neanderthal DNA and an African has zero, then they can't be 99.9999 percent the same now, can they?
You do realize Neanderthals share 99.7% of their DNA with humans, so if someone is 1-4% Neanderthal that means they share like 99.9999% of their DNA with another human that is zero percent Neanderthal.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
To me it seems that such topics are just a more subtle attempt to support old racist views. Some people for instance say that due to the Neanderthal admixture whites and even more so East Asians (who experienced one additional wave of mixing) non-Africans are more intelligent. After all, intelligence is the only aspect of interest to racists because it is what would allow them to feel superior. Everything else such as skin color is just a matter of taste.
Exactly and IQ measures intelligence in terms of western standards. Intelligence is defined as "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations". A resident of South Sudan who can keep his/her family from starving is, according to that definition, intelligent. An individual in the US who has an IQ score of 130 but engages in destructive personal behaviors, smoking, drugs, or overeating is not, in my opinion, the sharpest knife in the drawer

Old 11-26-2017, 10:09 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
But race still is a social construct.

The variables within the human species have never been enough to classify humans into sub-species (which is what "race" would be).

We just learned more about the variables and this development does show greater difference between humans but we're still far away from tweaking the work of Linnaeus.

Words used to describe the differences are not as important as the differences.

A genetic difference is a real difference that can help to explain why Africans and non-Africans learn, behave and perform in different ways.

Instead of always explaining our differences in terms of white on black racism, we can honestly consider in what ways our genetic code, well-suited for the areas and ages in which it originated, leads us to different outcomes here and now.

Yes, it is correct to generalize based on genetic differences.

We can all stop apologizing for using logic.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,398,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Exactly and IQ measures intelligence in terms of western standards. Intelligence is defined as "the ability to learn or understand or to deal with new or trying situations". A resident of South Sudan who can keep his/her family from starving is, according to that definition, intelligent. An individual in the US who has an IQ score of 130 but engages in destructive personal behaviors, smoking, drugs, or overeating is not, in my opinion, the sharpest knife in the drawer

I knew a person like that, he had three master degrees before he was twenty, and for the last 15 years he rather smoke dope all day and work as a concrete finisher so he would not have to think, and he happy

Old 11-26-2017, 10:17 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,447,174 times
I thought scientists were all paid shills?

Old 11-26-2017, 10:23 AM

38,645 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
That is not the case. Species are defined as different enough not to be able to reliably procreate. Tell me two different species that are closer than any two humans as different as say a Sudanese and a Swede.

To be fair, the procreation standard was a punt from the beginning because their are so many exceptions (for example: horses and donkeys), but we still needed some standard in order to classify species, even if it is less than 100% relevant and accurate.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Words used to describe the differences are not as important as the differences. A genetic difference is a real difference that can help to explain why Africans and non-Africans learn, behave and perform in different ways. Instead of always explaining our differences in terms of white on black racism, we can honestly consider in what ways our genetic code, well-suited for the areas and ages in which it originated, leads us to different outcomes here and now. Yes, it is correct to generalize based on genetic differences. We can all stop apologizing for using logic.
In other words you want something other than skin color to prove that white folks are special and entitled

Old 11-26-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
I knew a person like that, he had three master degrees before he was twenty, and for the last 15 years he rather smoke dope all day and work as a concrete finisher so he would not have to think, and he happy
A perfect real life example of what I was describing

Old 11-26-2017, 10:33 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you really think that, then import a few million Sudanese into Sweden and watch what happens to that country.

That ought to be fun.
Well, the problem is simply that locals would not accept it and become racist. But if all Swedes were blind, nobody would notice the difference. Of course I am speaking of African babies growing up in Sweden, not about African adults moving to Sweden.

Last edited by Neuling; 11-26-2017 at 10:43 AM..

Old 11-26-2017, 10:34 AM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
If you really think that, then import a few million Sudanese into Sweden and watch what happens to that country.

That ought to be fun.
Key Words: “Among Swedes”, I have yet to see a person who was raised in Japan not come out culturally 100% Japanese. Look at their soccer team and runners of partial African decent on their youth teams, when they speak in interviews their extremely “Japanese” in all aspects. I doubt their is a single Sudanese person raised in A mostly Swedish’s kminated environment that didn’t come out Swedish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies