Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do think reincarnation is real?
Yes 46 31.72%
No 102 70.34%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2016, 05:43 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I liked that....
Glad you like it. Some of those old westerns actually had quite a bit of philosophy in them.

Here are two more examples:

From "The Rifleman." One of Mark's friends was murdered and he was wondering why it happened...

Lucas: "Still thinking about today."

Mark: (Nods his head yes.)

Lucas: "I kind of figured."

Mark: "Joey never hurt anybody. Why did it have to happen to him?"

Lucas: "I don't know, Mark."

Mark: Well there ought to be some reason to it. Not just folks getting hurt or killed without no cause."

Lucas: Listen, son. It's just human nature to wonder about things. Don't ever be scared to ask questions. Except you got to remember one thing. There are questions we just don't have the answers to. That's the way it is and we have to do what we can and try and get along with the answers we do have."

And this one. A man hired to work on the ranch is missing his left arm. He is attacked by wasps and tears his shirt off. Marks see the infected wound and, very upset, jumps on his horse and rides a few hundred feet to a large tree. Lucas rides up to him a few minutes later...

Lucas: "Sorry, son. But sooner or later you had to find out."

Mark: "Why did I? I didn't want to. Pa, his shoulder wasn't healed."

Lucas: I don't mean poor Blandon's shoulder but I mean all the ugly, useless suffering in the world. In time you will learn to accept it and bring it into balance with the good things."

Mark: "I'll never be able to, Pa."

Lucas: "You will son because you have to. It's the price you pay on staying alive and in your right senses. It's manhood. And I can promise when you come to the far end of it you'll raise your old hands to bless this wonderful like you've been given."

Old 10-02-2016, 07:08 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post

I liked that....
Belief is not the same as knowledge.

Old 10-02-2016, 07:12 PM

33,544 posts, read 37,145,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
There is no evidence that there is no afterlife.
There is no evidence that there are no dragons either.

Quote:
Now you are getting it. It's enough for me. I have faith. Everyone has their own free will whether to have faith or not.
Yeah, I got it alright..... https://peterteixeira.files.wordpres...wallpaper1.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-YuLTF1qKnM...t+a+virtue.jpg

Last edited by sanspeur; 10-02-2016 at 07:20 PM..

Old 10-02-2016, 07:56 PM

2,776 posts, read 1,842,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Belief is not the same as knowledge.
But belief is the first step to knowledge. Didn't you know that?
At the beginning, there was a ridiculous belief that a very heavy object can make a long distance flight in the sky. Now we have airplanes and nobody thinks it's ridiculous. Many scientific ideas arose from the initial belief.

Old 10-02-2016, 10:43 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
There is no evidence that there are no dragons either.
Are you referring to this planet or another planet?

You appear to agree with those. And you are free to just as I am free to disagree with them.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:27 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,376,031 times
Quote:
There is no evidence that there is no afterlife.
Except there is. Again you seem to have difficulty distinguishing the meanings of the word EVIDENCE and PROOF. There is a difference. Learn it.

ALL the data we currently have on human consciousness for example is evidence there is no after life. Because 100% of that evidence links human consciousness to a working brain. NOTHING suggests a separation between the two.

THAT is evidence against an after life. You ignoring it, does not negate it.

Quote:
Everyone has their own free will whether to have faith or not.
You speak for yourself. Not for "everyone". YOU might have that choice, that does not mean anyone else does. Stop pretending to speak for anyone except yourself. Because you do not. At all. Least of all for me.

Old 10-04-2016, 03:07 AM

23,223 posts, read 29,051,044 times
The idea of it scares me to death, but what lessens the scare is my high hopes for an inevitable nuclear holocaust, so this whole idea of being born rich, poor in your next life, there'll be no poor-excuse-for-a-planet to return to.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:47 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
I do not believe in reincarnation but to each their own.
-WT

Old 10-15-2016, 06:40 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,698,118 times
If the theory of reincarnation were true then people born into this life would bring with them all the lessons learned in previous lives so they could add to them in a new life.

They don't. They are born babes and have to start all over again.

What a waste, don't you think?

Old 10-15-2016, 07:16 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
Read "Many Lives Many Masters" its a true story written by a Psychiatrist who used hypnotherapy to regress a patient who had a lot of issues.
We are sent back in another lifetime to learn lessons we didnt' learn the first go around. That's why it's good to be charitable and nice to people. No, it's not all about Money, or who dies with the most toys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies