Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 03:13 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I agree with discipline and being in a kid's business. However, this idea of "a beating will solve everything" is not really accurate. Now, I will only say this because it might get someone thinking, it is not meant to be used in any other way. On average, Blacks get more spankings/beatings than youths of any other race. Yet, Black men account for 1/2 of the nation's murder perpetrators and victims. You find some Black youths committing acts of mob violence, and acting up in school. If spanking/beating worked so well, Black youths would be the best behaved of any group.
I actually agree with you, not sure why your responses sound like I don't. I completely agree that if you continually beat a kid, it can make the kid a more violent person. I believe that there are other, very effective ways, to get kids to listen to you. For the girl twerking, instead of beating her ass like that, I'd get on the internet and start showing her some pics of convicted felons who like to mess with little girls. Let her see the reality of the types of people who want to put their filthy disgusting hands on her. Then work on building up her self esteem since it's clearly in the gutter if she needs to twerk on FB or wear **** clothes when she's only 13.

I don't believe in beating them down, I believe in showing them reality, and then building them up to respect themselves.

My point was that mom who dragged her kid away from the protest took an interest in her child. She saw to it that she took her child out of that toxic environment that would lead to nothing good. She got up in her child's business. Even the parents who were stupidly beating on their kids...how did the mom find out about the girl twerking on FB? How did the mom find out her daughter was talking to boys on FB? How did the dad find out his 13 year old daughter was dressing like a street walker? They took an interest in their kid's life. They got up in their business. There was none of this "Brent needs his personal space so we allow him to close the door to his room and chat with his friends on his computer". You've got to be fricken kidding me.

This was my parents at 00:15:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-kwET3SreE

Although they spoke English while removing that door, but there's enough parents out there who use electronics to babysit their kids, and then wonder why their kids get in to trouble. I am not applauding the parents for beating the crap out of their kids, I'm applauding them for even being invest in their kid's life at all when too many aren't. And then we have problems like some kid thinking he doesn't have to remove his headphones, and if he feels 'dissed', he actually thinks that the answer is to stand up to the principal and beat him down. That doesn't come from lack of money in the schools or neighborhoods, that comes from pisspoor parenting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 03:18 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Oh yay, another thread making sweeping generalizations about "kids these days" and the state of our public education system based off of one student reacting violently.

Send the kid to prison and skip the commentary. Most kids are decent.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:20 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmondaynight View Post
His behavior wasn't justified at all.

The principal shouldn't have put his hands on him either.
He took the headphones off him. For all we know, he only touched the headphones, but even if he didn't, so what? Let's not make it sound like the Principal did something wrong, because he didn't. They're disempowered as it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Actually, this stuff is more normal than you think. I'm going to open a can of worms, but here goes.

There is more beating going on than you think.

It seems to be a cultural / regional thing. I remember when there was a lot of media attention on Adrian Peterson for using a switch on his son, there were many posts on c-d and under articles about it and black people from all over the country, and white people from the south, saw it as appropriate discipline that they had received and also used on their children.

I raised two kids, for the most part on my own, and they turned out to be respectful adults without ever having to hit them. I was strict, and they were grounded, but never even thought of hitting them.

There is a correlation between those who were beaten or got the switch as kids, and domestic abuse once they're adults.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
He took the headphones off him. For all we know, he only touched the headphones, but even if he didn't, so what? Let's not make it sound like the Principal did something wrong, because he didn't. They're disempowered as it is.

It seems to be a cultural / regional thing. I remember when there was a lot of media attention on Adrian Peterson for using a switch on his son, there were many posts on c-d and under articles about it and black people from all over the country, and white people from the south, saw it as appropriate discipline that they had received and also used on their children.

I raised two kids, for the most part on my own, and they turned out to be respectful adults without ever having to hit them. I was strict, and they were grounded, but never even thought of hitting them.

There is a correlation between those who were beaten or got the switch as kids, and domestic abuse once they're adults.
Let's just clear it up that those who are in prison for violence typically were beaten as kids, but that does not mean that all kids who were beaten end up violent.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
Oh yay, another thread making sweeping generalizations about "kids these days" and the state of our public education system based off of one student reacting violently.

Send the kid to prison and skip the commentary. Most kids are decent.
Oh yay, another comment from someone who acts like this is an isolated incident, regardless of story after story after story, year after year, and it becoming more and more prominent. Oh, let's not forget the beat downs at Temple University...some of those kids as young as 8 years old. Because, you know, they're all "basically good".

Old 10-26-2016, 03:34 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Let's just clear it up that those who are in prison for violence typically were beaten as kids, but that does not mean that all kids who were beaten end up violent.

That's correct. There's never any 'all' in anything.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:25 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,076,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Oh yay, another comment from someone who acts like this is an isolated incident, regardless of story after story after story, year after year, and it becoming more and more prominent. Oh, let's not forget the beat downs at Temple University...some of those kids as young as 8 years old. Because, you know, they're all "basically good".
It's not becoming more prominent; it's been going on for at least 30 years. And yes, students brutally attacking principals, teachers, etc. is uncommon. I actually have worked in schools, including for a few weeks in inner city Detroit, and while fights between students happened more often than they should, attacking adults was not something that typically occurred. Usually students attacking teachers happens in elementary school when kids haven't quite developed the ability to control their emotions.

Also, there are at least 100,000 teenagers in Philadelphia. 99,900 of them were not out in mobs attacking people. I stand by statement that most kids are decent.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:37 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,554,711 times
Lightbulb Principal brutally beaten after telling teen to remove headphones

That kid's in for some tough sledding.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,833 times
Look people....
The principal is the highest authority in the building, not the school resource officer. The school - along with the local board of education - has set the rules for all to follow. The SRO is merely aLaw enforcement representative. Even he helps the principal enforce the rules.

The potential felon was violating a school policy, for which the principal is the final authority. If he can't enforce his own school's rules, then who can? Does he have to call the cops if a kid won't police his tray in the cafeteria? Does a local LEO have to make the kid go to In-School when he's been tardy 3 times?
Jesus Christ, people..... does a LEO have to make a Subway employee wash his hands before making a sandwich? Sure, the boss cn fire him, but we're not allowed to do that in public education.
And as much disrespect many of you posters throw around in here about our nation's law enforcement personnel, I can't imagine the immensity of hypocrisy you are throwing around by claiming that the school's ultimate authority has to resort to a policeman to remove headphones from a student. The sheer idiocy in this thread is astounding.

It's very simple: you follow the rules or not. If you choose not to, you suffer the consequences. The principal had every right to remove those earphones, whether some of believe it or not. You might want to check out some school law issues before mouthing your bilge.

Old 10-26-2016, 08:53 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Yep! Sorry to sound like a codger here but principles were beating kids with wooden paddles when I was in school and you better damn well believe that students would listen to them !

You know other school systems in countries with superior education systems do not have these problems. Now you can't touch a sullen disobedient student ? What a crock. Education or lack thereof is for ALL the students. When one acts out in a disruptive manner he needs to be quickly removed from the rest so work can proceed. Calling the police or security while the offender get's his desired attention is exactly the wrong way to handle it.
Another codger here. I went to Catholic grade school and those 60s nuns were not to be messed with.

In one notable incident, a kid punched a nun in the face. Wrong nun, Sister Mary Margaret (aka Maggie) answered with crushing right hand. Knocked that kid flat on his ass. I think Maggie could have gone a few rounds with Cassius Clay (as he was known at the time)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies