Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 08:38 PM

29,522 posts, read 22,674,035 times

Advertisements

This is exactly the reason why many don't want to get involved or won't say anything in these types of situations. Unless you're like 6 foot 6 and 300 pounds of pure muscle, or all tatted up looking like a hardcore gangbanger.

Principal brutally beaten after telling teen to remove headphones | New York Post

Quote:
The principal at a lower Manhattan high school was beaten to a pulp by a student on Monday when he told the teen to remove his headphones, sources said.

Principal Matthew Tossman of Manhattan Early College School for Advertising, which is inside Murry Bergtraum High School, spotted 18-year-old Luis Penzo with his headphones blasting in the hallway around noon, according to police sources.

Tossman asked Penzo to turn down the music, and Penzo refused. Then, when Tossman tried to remove the headphones, the 18-year-old student cold-cocked the principal.

Penzo continued to pounce on Tossman, socking him several times in the face, causing swelling and lacerations around both of the principal’s eyes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 12:05 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,985,518 times
..."when tossman tried to remove the head phones..."

i don't know, i too might have punched him if he put his hands on me...but that's just me

Old 10-26-2016, 01:36 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
What a shame. The principal should not have touched boy though, and it certainly was not worth it.

Old 10-26-2016, 01:51 AM

6,232 posts, read 3,612,299 times
I can't freaking believe you people. ^^^ Taking headphones off a student is not putting your hands on that person. The student is 18 therefore he's an adult; lock him away with the other animals. It's probably best for the other students too.

Old 10-26-2016, 02:23 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,943,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post

i don't know, i too might have punched him if he put his hands on me...but that's just me
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
What a shame. The principal should not have touched boy though, and it certainly was not worth it.
This is why I wouldn't be a teacher and wouldn't want to send a child to public schooling.

Old 10-26-2016, 03:51 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,395,954 times
Now idiots like Shaun King are going to whine about the 'school-to-prison pipeline' because the kid got arrested.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:37 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,170,612 times
Quote:

This attitude is why we have out of control behavior in schools. In no way would there be justification for punching someone over this, regardless. The reaction does not match the initial action, in scope or nature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
I do agree it wasn't worth it. But just out of curiosity, what do you think the principal should have done instead?

Old 10-26-2016, 04:51 AM

23,566 posts, read 17,241,593 times
Quote:

Brutally beaten vs a single swing is a huge difference.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,583,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
This attitude is why we have out of control behavior in schools. In no way would there be justification for punching someone over this, regardless. The reaction does not match the initial action, in scope or nature.

I do agree it wasn't worth it. But just out of curiosity, what do you think the principal should have done instead?
Yep! Sorry to sound like a codger here but principles were beating kids with wooden paddles when I was in school and you better damn well believe that students would listen to them !

You know other school systems in countries with superior education systems do not have these problems. Now you can't touch a sullen disobedient student ? What a crock. Education or lack thereof is for ALL the students. When one acts out in a disruptive manner he needs to be quickly removed from the rest so work can proceed. Calling the police or security while the offender get's his desired attention is exactly the wrong way to handle it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Old 10-26-2016, 04:57 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,181,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
I can't freaking believe you people. ^^^ Taking headphones off a student is not putting your hands on that person. The student is 18 therefore he's an adult; lock him away with the other animals. It's probably best for the other students too.
Try not to be emotional and think about this. Plenty, if not the majority, of public schools have a no-touch policy l, which likely includes anything on the student's person. This is for the protection of both staff and student. The exception being security guards/school police.
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies