Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 04:14 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
This is similar to how another liberal was like "how is homosexuality an evolutionary dead end?" to me. It's like they're proud that their master debate tactic is to appear completely ignorant and devoid of any intellectual capacity.
It's not theft because you get things back for the money you paid in in taxes, if it were theft, the money would all just go in some vault or in someone's pocket and our infastructure would still be in the dark ages

Old 12-19-2016, 04:15 PM

4,279 posts, read 1,909,487 times
Quote:
This is similar to how another liberal was like "how is homosexuality an evolutionary dead end?" to me. It's like they're proud that their master debate tactic is to appear completely ignorant and devoid of any intellectual capacity.
Yep, pretty much.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:16 PM

23,608 posts, read 17,290,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
To those who oppose the ACA how would you deal with people with pre-existing conditions with your health plan?
where were you when the PPACA was passed with out legislators reading or understanding the legisltion.

The answer to your question is clearly, we have to pass it to find out what is in it!

Worked for obama, should work for Trump.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:17 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,655,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Off to ignore you go.
Added to mine as well

Old 12-19-2016, 04:41 PM

18,870 posts, read 8,514,984 times
Quote:
No, you are irresponsible to expect another to pay for you because of your hardship.
As a caring and rich society with the resources and the means of production we can rise above, if we so desire.

I desire.

It is easy for me as I am rich.

It is also easy for me as I and my family are sick and dependent on good and expensive HC.

As for me and my family we have paid our way. Either through taxes or through expensive private individual HC insurance.

I cannot expect everyone to be able to pay their way like we have done. And of course I cannot expect everyone to agree to go this route.

This is why I prefer a public option and let free markets exist as they and some here want to chose.

Old 12-19-2016, 04:50 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,938,475 times
Quote:
Because you said COBRA is expensive. So what? The reason COBRA is expensive is if you are racking up huge costs. If you use a lot of insurance -- for anything -- guess what happens? Your rates go up. If at some point they're too high for you ...that's your problem again. There is a mechanism in place to keep you covered, however that doesn't mean it has to be at a rate you choose.
Untrue! Have you ever had to use COBRA? If so, you know it is very expensive for everyone! Company provided insurance does not require people with certain health conditions to pay more.

https://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/q...cke129796.html
"For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong."

Old 12-19-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
It's moot. Pre-existing conditions are going to be covered. Quit with the gloom and doom. It's not realistic. And for the record, many, many Republicans were always for a pre-existing clause before, during and after your guy is gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackwinkelman View Post
No I did not say that Fortune was saying Trumpcare would be better than Obamacare only it outlined some of Trumps and Ryan's ideas.

I would expect that coming from a common sense business background would be the way to go instead of a bunch of liberal democrat politicians crafting something that pays back the healthcare lobby that they need to win elections. Way to much money was spent for the results we received. That is obvious.

As of 2015 we were spending $50K per head to get them covered. And costs are rising even higher now. I cannot imagine even a liberal who would think that is money well spent. We could have just put the 20 million on medicare and not had this bloated bureaucracy. Yet I keep hearing liberals saying what a great thing Obamacare is.
How To Tell Fake News From Real News In 'Post-Truth' Era : NPR
"Is the story set in the future? It's hard to get firsthand reporting from there. Any story that tells you what will happen should be marked down 50 percent for this reason alone."

Quote:
Exactly, insurance is something not meant to be used regularly. It exists only in cases of extreme need. Health insurance was never supposed to be used as like a gym membership, it was supposed to only be there for dire need, in extreme circumstances where paying out of pocket was not reasonable in cost.

People today seem to have no concept of what "insurance" is.
Could you provide a citation that says that insurance is something not meant to be used regularly? THank you.

Old 12-19-2016, 05:01 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,401,209 times
Quote:
Exactly, insurance is something not meant to be used regularly. It exists only in cases of extreme need. Health insurance was never supposed to be used as like a gym membership, it was supposed to only be there for dire need, in extreme circumstances where paying out of pocket was not reasonable in cost.

People today seem to have no concept of what "insurance" is.
Hello? That's exactly my situation! I would be perfectly happy if I never had to use it again, but that's not possible. I was extremely healthy, until I was not, through no fault of my own, and because of excellent medical care paid for in large part by a premium employer-subsidized insurance policy, I have returned to good health but continue to need extremely expensive medication and invasive monitoring for another year to ensure remission. We paid our family insurance premiums for twenty-five years without needing much more than the occasional check-up, and then "BOOM!" Now my husband is out of a job, our COBRA payment is out of this world, and without the protection of the pre-existing condition clause in the ACA, I could be denied coverage by whichever insurance company is contracted by my husband's next employer. As a nation, we need to de-couple health insurance from employment and provide a functional alternative for the good of not just me but for everyone, because people do not hold jobs for life anymore, which means everyone will eventually need to change health care companies. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.

Last edited by randomparent; 12-19-2016 at 05:52 PM.. Reason: ACA not AFA. What the heck was I thinking?

Old 12-19-2016, 05:14 PM

55 posts, read 31,098 times
Quote:
So if you are starving, do you have the right to take from another?

If you are cold, do you have a right to steal clothing from another?

Do you have a right to take from another to serve yourself? Why? Because you "need" it? Who are you to decide that you may need over another? Who are you to decide that taking from another which could harm someone else's family by putting them in economic hardship?

I am saying you have no right to take from another regardless of your demand.

If I were in a situation where I had no way to pay, I would "seek" and "ask" for help, not use the government as some thug to force others to help me. This is the difference.

I argue a position of responsibility, you argue a position of entitlement. Who we are is irrelevant, the logic and strength of the argument stands for itself. This is why you keep having to use emotion in a plea to grasp at a legitimacy that does not exist.
Emotions.. try common decency...

Old 12-19-2016, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
Hello? That's exactly my situation! I would be perfectly happy if I never had to use it again, but that's not possible. I was extremely healthy, until I was not, through no fault of my own, and because of excellent medical care paid for in large part by a premium employer-subsidized insurance policy, I have returned to good health but continue to need extremely expensive medication and invasive monitoring for another year to ensure remission. We paid our family insurance premiums for twenty-five years without needing much more than the occasional check-up, and then "BOOM!" Now my husband is out of a job, our COBRA payment is out of this world, and without the protection of the pre-existing condition clause in the AFA, I could be denied coverage by whichever insurance company is contracted by my husband's next employer. As a nation, we need to de-couple health insurance from employment and provide a functional alternative for the good of not just me but for everyone, because people do not hold jobs for life anymore, which means everyone will eventually need to change health care companies. I don't know why this is so hard for you to understand.
S/he doesn't understand it because it doesn't fit with his/her preconceived opinions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies