Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 09:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
Removing Medicaid from it actually doesn't change what I said. A large group of people who can't afford a product doesn't make them all able to afford it. Also, a large chunk of people on Medicaid don't belong on it. Also, there's a reason Obama made Obamacare into Medicaid.
You really are not making any sense.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:20 PM

18,804 posts, read 8,479,367 times
Quote:
The question mark denotes that I asked a question. Sorry you're having trouble with punctuation.

P.S. If he's honest, he'll acknowledge that physicians don't want to see Medicaid patients. In general, the people who see them are forced to, although there are a small minority of people who do so willingly.
Employed docs at the hospital or ER might be 'forced' to care for them, but for most it's typically a very individual decision. No one has ever forced me to care for any patient. In my town it's roughly 50/50 taking Medicaid or not.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:23 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,346,263 times
Quote:
This is an example of a liberal throwing around market terms that they don't actually understand. As I said to Hoonose, here's what you want us to believe: a large group of people who can't afford a product team up and suddenly have "bargaining power." That's a clear lack of understanding of the market. Many people who have no purchasing power put together only equals a large group with no purchasing power. The only reason it works with, say, Medicare is because the government is the actual purchaser and they just tell people what they'll pay them and you have no choice but to accept it. It's not because old people who aren't paying have "bargaining power."
The issue IS that the free market concept doesn't work well in regulating a non-discretionary item like healthcare. So forget the term "bargaining power." Go with "sledge hammer" if you'd prefer. You are absolutely correct that one of the ways that a public option would drive down health care costs is by reducing provider fees. Fair enough that that raises a number of issues but to keep it simple ...

... in a world where some are content to deny available medical care to those who can't come up with the money, I have no problem a government "bargaining" or "sledgehammering" a so-called free healthcare market.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:25 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Employed docs at the hospital or ER might be 'forced' to care for them, but for most it's typically a very individual decision. No one has ever forced me to care for any patient. In my town it's roughly 50/50 taking Medicaid or not.
Or anyone who wants to admit to a hospital. Actually, you really only have a choice if you work solely in an office and are private, which is becoming more and more the exception. 50/50 Medicaid either means you're in a rural area or you're in an urban area, either place mainly having people on Medicaid so that not seeing them would mean very few patients.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
So forget the term "bargaining power." Go with "sledge hammer" if you'd prefer.
Exactly. Don't pretend that you're doing it via any market principles. Just admit and embrace the fact that you're just using the government to force people to obey against their will to work for free. If you're honest about it, at least I'll respect you more.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:27 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Exactly. Don't pretend that you're doing it via any market principles. Just admit and embrace the fact that you're just using the government to force people to obey against their will to work for free. If you're honest about it, at least I'll respect you more.
There you go with that work for free thing again. In a nationalized system, the doctors get paid. Doctors in Canada get paid, doctors in the UK get paid, etc

Old 12-19-2016, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
There you go with that work for free thing again. In a nationalized system, the doctors get paid. Doctors in Canada get paid, doctors in the UK get paid, etc
That must be why doctors in Canada come to America and doctors in the UK work on an apprenticeship system they rebelled against.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,802,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
The issue IS that the free market concept doesn't work well in regulating a non-discretionary item like healthcare. So forget the term "bargaining power." Go with "sledge hammer" if you'd prefer. You are absolutely correct that one of the ways that a public option would drive down health care costs is by reducing provider fees. Fair enough that that raises a number of issues but to keep it simple ...

... in a world where some are content to deny available medical care to those who can't come up with the money, I have no problem a government "bargaining" or "sledgehammering" a so-called free healthcare market.
I think the providers do the best they can the problem is the insurances companies, employers and the pharmaceutical companies and how they all tie into Obamacare. The fat needs trimmed.

Medicaid is pretty cut and dry you're put on Medicaid automatically by Obamacare if you make like under 16k a year or so and single w/ no dependents. You don't sign up for a plan at all you're just thrown on your states Medicaid.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:31 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
That must be why doctors in Canada come to America and doctors in the UK work on an apprenticeship system they rebelled against.
You are being dishonest and deflecting, yes or no, a doctor in Canada gets paid?

(hint: if you say no, you are lying)

Old 12-19-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You are being dishonest and deflecting, yes or no, a doctor in Canada gets paid?

(hint: if you say no, you are lying)
I'm deflecting? All I said was that doctors in Canada like to come to America. Does that upset you? By the way, doctors in America don't like to go to Canada. Oooooo, Caaaaanadaaaaa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies