Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-19-2016, 09:37 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njquestions View Post
I'm deflecting? All I said was that doctors in Canada like to come to America. Does that upset you? By the way, doctors in America don't like to go to Canada. Oooooo, Caaaaanadaaaaa.
You did deflect, you first said that in a nationalized system, that doctors work for free; I pointed out that that is false with real world examples, and you didn't address that at all. You do that a lot, you make some point, and when someone challenges you on it, you deflect or change the subject. It is a noticeable pattern.

And there might be a reason besides $$$ that an American doctor wouldn't want to move to Canada, maybe the freezing cold winters for starters

Old 12-19-2016, 09:39 PM

1,850 posts, read 821,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
You did deflect, you first said that in a nationalized system, that doctors work for free; I pointed out that that is false with real world examples, and you didn't address that at all. You do that a lot, you make some point, and when someone challenges you on it, you deflect or change the subject. It is a noticeable pattern.

And there might be a reason besides $$$ that an American doctor wouldn't want to move to Canada, maybe the freezing cold winters for starters
It's not a deflection. I was making an observation and whatever conclusion you want to draw from it is your own. I'm sure the Canadians are just fleeing the snow, you're right. There, see? LOL

Old 12-19-2016, 09:40 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Exactly. Don't pretend that you're doing it via any market principles. Just admit and embrace the fact that you're just using the government to force people to obey against their will to work for free. If you're honest about it, at least I'll respect you more.
Others have beat me to it, but just because the government implements ("sledgehammers" what have you) a different form of medical care doesn't turn the participants into some sort of modern-day slave. Speaking of health care professionals, if the free market is not to drive their reimbursement then their training etc. and the like should be subsidized. If a UK or Canadian trained doctor chooses to leverage their subsidized (I assume?) training by moving to the US and practicing at "market" rates - well that's their personal and hopefully our societal win. "We" didn't pay for the training. (Our only concern would be to prevent any future subsidized US doctors from too soon leaving the US to practice elsewhere.)

Simple economics.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
Others have beat me to it, but just because the government implements ("sledgehammers" what have you) a different form of medical care doesn't turn the participants into some sort of modern-day slave.
Yeah, actually, it does.

BTW, I've said this before: all the people who make this argument should have to live by it. So whatever salary you make and whatever occupation, you should be forced by the government to provide those services for free to the poor. And you have to provide it for however many people show up at your business, you can't just say "OK, I'll help out one person." Nope, you help anyone who shows up and you'll enjoy it. Live under your own beliefs.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Yeah, actually, it does.

BTW, I've said this before: all the people who make this argument should have to live by it. So whatever salary you make and whatever occupation, you should be forced by the government to provide those services for free to the poor. And you have to provide it for however many people show up at your business, you can't just say "OK, I'll help out one person." Nope, you help anyone who shows up and you'll enjoy it. Live under your own beliefs.
Strawman argument...

Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Strawman argument...
What's wrong, suddenly not so enthusiastic about living under your own belief system?

Old 12-19-2016, 09:47 PM

Quote:
What's wrong, suddenly not so enthusiastic about living under your own belief system?
No, was pointing out that you are the one making the baseless claim (as no one is asking a doctor to work for free, that is just your interpretation) and building it up to where if people don't agree with you, they look stupid/wrong. That is the definition of a strawman argument

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 PM

Quote:
No, was pointing out that you are the one making the baseless claim (as no one is asking a doctor to work for free, that is just your interpretation) and building it up to where if people don't agree with you, they look stupid/wrong. That is the definition of a strawman argument
I can't help it if that's what people look like when they don't agree with me.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:48 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,819,266 times
Quote:
Strawman argument...
True. And a silly one at that.

Old 12-19-2016, 09:50 PM

8,502 posts, read 3,344,621 times
Quote:
Yeah, actually, it does.

My gosh. Did I say I believed that? Sure don't think I did but maybe it's getting too late. Nite.

(Seriously, though, this IS what irritates me most about this whole conservative-liberal thing - the tendency of both "sides" to accuse the other of all sorts of belief systems or ugly thoughts or whatever that just has little basis in reality for most folks on either side of the spectrum.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies