Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2016, 06:39 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,620,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007

Basically I am of the idea that a large percent of white people want to go back to their former "place" in American society. That they enjoy the idea of "equality" and "opportunity" but only if it is for them. They do not want to hear about anyone's issues but their own and were upset that Obama actually discussed these issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
On the contrary, few white people over the past 50 years have even thought about having their own racial group interests. They have been ready to move beyond that and build a colorblind society but folks like you have made it impossible.

True. My group consists of black people, people of mixed races, Asians, and white people. Everyone is supportive of one another and race has never been an issue.

But I think that racists think about it all the time because THEY are racist, and foolishly assume the rest of the world is like them.

It's ironic that when a white person on c-d posts, 'I think black people are feeling X because of Y', it's very often met with an aggressive, 'You don't speak for us. You don't know anything about us.' Yet, some black people then go on to post passive-aggressive fantasies about what the majority of white people are really about and what they're up to, as well as have the nerve to tell white people what is, and isn't, offensive to them.

Nobody calls them on it because of the double standard, as mentioned in the article, and something I've jokingly referred to, as black privilege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2016, 07:03 PM

13,388 posts, read 6,444,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
True. My group consists of black people, people of mixed races, Asians, and white people. Everyone is supportive of one another and race has never been an issue.

But I think that racists think about it all the time because THEY are racist, and foolishly assume the rest of the world is like them.

It's ironic that when a white person on c-d posts, 'I think black people are feeling X because of Y', it's very often met with an aggressive, 'You don't speak for us. You don't know anything about us.' Yet, some black people then go on to post passive-aggressive fantasies about what the majority of white people are really about and what they're up to, as well as have the nerve to tell white people what is, and isn't, offensive to them.

Nobody calls them on it because of the double standard, as mentioned in the article, and something I've jokingly referred to, as black privilege.
This is a valid point.

I often think we would all be better off if we check our own racism and stop pointing the finger at other's racism unless it is actually harming us in some way or we are willing to go to court over it.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:19 PM

1,438 posts, read 779,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
thanks. my proof is that White Republicans elect black conservatives when we get a chance. While the vast majority of black democrat politicians are elected in black majority districts.

Guys like Allen West aren't just elected but when beat by a white democrat, he is widely accepted in Republican circles and is now running a conservative think tank in Dallas. Tim Scott is a black senator from a southern state elected by white republicans.
Dr. Carson was considered a serious candidate for President with zero political experience he was pushed forward by white republicans.

there are many examples of such. even in my own community at the local level my school board member is African American. this is a very conservative place. he didn't just get elected he has been reelected multiple times.
You say that but those seem to be outliers. Why just today this happened:

Selfie of Mike Pence and GOP Congress members mocked on Twitter - Business Insider

Old 11-17-2016, 07:24 PM

15,640 posts, read 10,396,089 times
In my experience, blacks are coddled by the affirmative action legislation in college and in work environments. They have been rewarded with lower test scores to enter college, hired for their skin color to meet quotas, and forgiven poor performance because they are black. Are there exceptions? Absolutely. But if being honest, they are far and few in my experience.

If I was black I would be against affirmative action. I would demand to be judged on my merit only.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 11-17-2016 at 07:41 PM..

Old 11-17-2016, 07:41 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
In my experience, blacks are coddled by the affirmative action legislation in college and in work environments. They have been rewarded with lower test scores to enter college, hiring for their skin color to meet quotas, and poor performance because they are black. Are there exceptions? Absolutely. But if being honest, they are far and few between in my experience.

If I was black I would be against affirmative action. I would demand to be judged on my merit only.
It's a tough situation for a normal person (normal meaning not wanting to receive stuff simply due to a grouping such as skin color).

I went to high school with a black dude who was a math nerd. Wicked smart. Helped me with geometry.

He was qualified based on merit but had a plethora of opportunities simply based on his skin color.

Saw him off and on thru our mid 20s so no clue how he's doing now. He took the freebies but really struggled with it because folks assumed he was in his position solely due to AA. Big time internal struggle for him but it was just too hard to leave that preferential treatment on the table when you know that you personally aren't going to waste it. P

He was an engineer at Toyota when we lost touch.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:42 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,828,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Maybe it'll assist you to think in analogy. Stating that whites are privileged by virtue of their race is a fair equivalent to anti-Semitic logic that holds Jews are xyz (often equivalents of privileged: rich, powerful etc.) because of their group affiliation: irrespective of their actual background or resources.

The WP movement is basically a ball peen hammer tapping away at a land mine. It's entirely irresponsible, nonsensical, and dangerous given the history of the West. How easy you forget history given a couple of generations of relative cooperation.

"Uneducated" is media code for "stupid". However, that implication isn't the true damage of such categorization (and Trump won in the category of college educated White men). The damage is that calling the conservative base uneducated is a means of dismissing their interests without having to consider them. After some time, such a tactic causes great resentment.
LOL on the bold, you honestly believe that the sociologically invented term "white privilege" is a racist phrase? In what way are white inferior/superior as a whole based on someone saying that "white privilege" exist. I am not all that into the sociological concept of "white privilege" but I do know that it does not mean that all white people are "better" than other groups of people just because they are white.

An uneducated means someone without an education. Stupid means someone is without knowledge. One can have knowledge without an education.

Calling the conservative base "uneducated" in relation to the voting patterns of people who have a college education or not is calling the conservative base "stupid." And how is discussing the educational outcomes of specific voting blocks dismissing their interests? And who dismissed them or their issues. The plight of rural and forgotten factory towns was mainstream and their issues were relatable and understandable and made perfect sense. However, those issues also do not have to be supported by racist or xenophobic rhetoric.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Okay. Your self interested, over-emotional, illogical blindness will lead you and this nation to a much worse place.

That's ignoring the fact that your rant is a wholly disjointed menagerie of social justice screams that is impossible to respond to because it makes no sense.

My recommendation is for you to think harder about politics and the society in which you live, rather than to go through your life riding waves of emotion and shallow self-interest.
Actually I am a rather blase person who is not over emotional. I am much more of an observant person and I think about the things around me and formulate an opinion based on the facts at hand.

What did you believe was emotional about my quotes other than that the election did show me that white Americans are still indifferent to civil rights?

And how is advocating for the civil rights of other (social justice) a negative thing. If you want to call me a social justice warrior, I have no problem with that. I don't mind being a warrior. I'm a good fighter. I also am not ignorant, nor am I uneducated and I know what words mean and how to formulate a sentence. I also know deflection and a poor debater when I see one.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I believe the concern was that the Hispanic judge would not be impartial, given his ethnic affinity and Trump's (out of context) "attacks" on "Latinos"..... I don't think he stated the judge was inferior on account of being Mexican heritage.

But, in the world that progressives (were) helping to bring about, his "concern" - admittedly silly - is only a natural extension of the progressive race theories that dictate outcomes based on race. What you can wear, what you can eat, the media you are allowed to consume and the experiences you have.... all through the prism of race.

His comment was basically the end-game of an identity politics **** show that the leftists have been putting on for a few years now. Through that prism, he was right. So why so upset?
Thinking that a judge of Hispanic heritage cannot be impartial means that said hispanic judge is inferior to a non-Hispanic judge. That is a racist ideology. This is classic racism BTW - the belief that one group, based upon their ethnicity is inferior or incapable or superior to another group of people.

Old 11-17-2016, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynedd1 View Post
Crap .

The judge had Mexican roots which is a country not a race. There is no question that there could be bias. No one is accusing anyone of racism in this case.

Should Shared Ancestry Force A Judge's Recusal? : NPR
Now to an unusual case of an immigration judge who was suing the U.S. Department of Justice, alleging discrimination. The judge is of Iranian descent and she says her superiors ordered her not to hear any cases that involved Iranian nationals. NPR's Richard Gonzales reports.
But surely Trump can be suspected as having bias with Russia because he built a brick crap house there. A first generation immigrant would never have any bias for their parents country of origin.
You are funny! All of you trying to act like saying someone of Mexican heritage (i.e. ethncity) not being capable of being impartial is not racist.

FWIW, I also feel that Trump is a white nationalist supporter. Mexico is a nation. So will you admit that Trump is a white nationalist?

Old 11-17-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
I grew up in the deep south. "blacks" were others when I was a kid. my grandfather was a member of the KKK. I know what racism is.

when I was a teenager, my family moved to the city where we went to a church with a mixed congregation. my parents and another led a home cell group. that other family was black. I distinctly remember walking in their home and thinking "they live just like we do". I know what prejudice is. I lived it. their kids became my best friends. it pretty much forced me to reevaluate everything I ever thought about race.

I joined the military and spent 4 years with black and white people in close quarters. we were brothers. not just on the job but when we were in town too. I have been the only white guy in a bar. I understand what it feels like to be looked at with serious hostility because of my race.

As a grown man, I live in a community with a growing east Asian population. I have sat in meetings with the principle discussing how we can go about bringing these people into the workings of the school. How to not simply make them feel comfortable, rather to be full partners on equal footing. And I have been involved in seeing that happen over a period of years.

I attend a church that has no majority group but the largest ethinc/race is African American. I am raising my kids in that environment on purpose. And it is wonderful. So I think im pretty comfortable with my own understanding of race.

You are wrong about what the majority of white people want. What we want is for race to no longer be a political football. We keep hearing people talk about some national conversation, but any time any one of us were to actually speak from our perspective, we will find ourselves being labeled racists. There is no perspective different from mia culpa that is acceptable.

Please remember that Hillary got beat because white people that voted for Mr. Obama... twice... voted for Trump in PA and WI and MI.

White republicans are dying to see African Americans take a look at the polices and join the republican ranks. Tim Scott is elected in a Southern State by white Republicans. The vast majority of black politicians represent black majority communities... on the democrat side not the republican side.

I asked a few simple questions in the beginning of this thread - are you willing to overlook someone who is speaks racist rhetoric, who speaks xenophobic rhetoric, and whose advisor is a white nationalist?

None of your experiences above have anything to do with what I stated. I also said that I am disappointed in white Americans as I did think you had come farther than you have. I also don't think that you should personally care about my personal view on this matter as it will not change my view.

But facts are facts. Trump has an advisor who is a white nationalist. Trump said a variety of racist and sexist and xenophobic things during his campaign. He didn't have to say any of that in order to speak about trade, foreign policy, economics, etc., yet he did.

I did not bring up Hillary Clinton either, as I actually was not a huge supporter of hers but she was nothing like Trump in regards to racist, sexist, xenophobic rhetoric. Hers was specifically politically based regarding his supporters and did not target white Americans as a whole. Trump said a judge of Mexican heritage could not be impartial. Trump said that black people who live in inner cities live in "hell" and we are "uneducated" and our kids go to bad schools and we don't have jobs. Those are racist. You supported a racist no matter how you want to explain it now or then and I am not one who will accept some BS excuse and a lot of other people aren't so I think that you and other just need to get used to the fact that you will be viewed as the people who took our country backwards on women's rights and civil rights as they pertain to both race/ethnicity and religion (which is what you wanted right "Make American Great Again".....for you!!).

And as I have stated on this forum, I am one of those black people that the GOP could have gotten. I am an independent. I am very much FOR immigration reform. I want a constitutional amendment to define citizenship as being based upon the American citizenship of at least one parent at the time of the child's birth. I am very much a fiscal conservative (which has fallen out of favor even for the GOP over the last 20 years). I am not a "liberal" black person or woman. The GOP by supporting a racist, sexist, xenohpobic candidate and America by electing this person, has made me deafen my ears to them for at least another 50 years and I'll probably be dead in 50 years lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies