Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2018, 11:39 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,882,036 times

Advertisements

Any privatization of SS would have to be regulated to prevent gamblers ending up destitute. The best thing would be to put anyone born in a specific year in the same
retirement plan similar to those offered by many mutual fund companies. Part of my ira is invested in a retirement twenty thirty five fund.

The fact is it would allow workers to also benefit from stock investments

Last edited by whogo; 09-18-2018 at 11:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2018, 03:24 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,583,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omegaplex View Post
"phase out" - could be

"kill" - don't be absurd
"phase out" = kill in slow motion

Old 09-19-2018, 04:05 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,185,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm too far away from retirement or medicare, but I'd definitely like to see SS killed, or at least have an option for opting out. Some sort of sliding scale based on age and letting me stop contributions.
LOL...you wouldn’t opt out if you could. None of you that claim that you want out would get out if you could.

“I don’t believe you, you need more people”

—Jay Z

I do admire the effort you guys make to sound like rugged individualists though.

Old 09-19-2018, 04:54 AM

19,018 posts, read 14,193,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...you wouldn’t opt out if you could.
Actually, no law compels participation nor punishes non participation in FICA.
“The Social Security Act does not require an individual to have a Social Security Number (SSN) to live and work within the United States, nor does it require an SSN simply for the purpose of having one...”
- - - The Social Security Administration
http://home.hiwaay.net/~becraft/ScottSSNLetter.pdf
Get your own personalized letter from the SocSecAdmin . . .

Read the law for yourself - - -
SOCIAL SECURITY ACT OF 1935 FULL TEXT
http://library.clerk.house.gov/refer...alSecurity.pdf

It has long been law that there is no legal right to Social Security. In two important cases, Helvering v. Davis and Flemming v. Nestor, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled that Social Security taxes are simply taxes and convey no property or contractual rights to Social Security benefits.

If fraud was used to induce you to participate, you have the RIGHT to withdraw.

Don't believe me - politely ask your public servants to explain it to you.

Old 09-19-2018, 05:11 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,280,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Kudlow answered a question from Becky Quick on CNBC on entitlements.

He said the GOP will fix them.

Just like Rubio did when the GOP controlled all 3 parts of the Government.

So the GOP playbook, cut taxes for the top 1% and then do not pay for anything. Increase spending to force even greater deficits.

Create HUGE deficits and start telling all the followers oh do not worry we are fixing it all.

We have already seen them fix the ACA by trying to kill it.

No matter what the GOP needs to lose control of the House and Senate.

"GOP to kill SS and Medicare after election."

"He said the GOP will fix them."

"Nuff said!

Old 09-19-2018, 05:34 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:

So the GOP playbook, cut taxes for the top 1% and then do not pay for anything. Increase spending to force even greater deficits.

Create HUGE deficits and start telling all the followers oh do not worry we are fixing it all.

Trump has made it clear that SS is not going anywhere and he is determined to make it self sufficient, instead of a burden on the economy.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 AM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I'm too far away from retirement or medicare, but I'd definitely like to see SS killed, or at least have an option for opting out. Some sort of sliding scale based on age and letting me stop contributions.
You can move to a country without ss system and renounce your us citizenship. It’s quite easy to get what you want.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:25 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,527,092 times
Lightbulb GOP to kill SS and Medicare after election

Quote:

Killing all programs favorable to the middle/working class has been a GOP wet dream for decades. Their latest tax breaks/deficit bomb is a step in that direction.

If they lose congress in November, their plot will be delayed.

But it won't be forgotten.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:26 AM

5,938 posts, read 4,697,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post

As it is the Republicans have done this before. The strategy is called "Starving the Beast".
Is that similar to how we cut taxes and then Trump denies government workers a pay raise when the economy is absolutely "booming?" Oh, you don't have money in the treasury coffers because you aren't taking in taxes? How come I'm so surprised.

I'd like to think that 2.7M federal workers will keep that in mind when they go to the voting booths in 2018 and 2020. Tax cuts to benefit the wealthy (and a little bit for us), but nothing for them. In theory, they won't care even if the economy was booming. They aren't seeing it.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:27 AM

13,899 posts, read 6,441,195 times
more #fakenews yet again from the usual suspects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies