Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2017, 02:25 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times

Advertisements

Don't worry, Trump has a super plan and he will tell everyone all about this wonderful secret plan eventually. It will be great, and everyone will be covered, and the government is going to pay for it. Believe me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2017, 02:30 PM

811 posts, read 809,789 times
Their plan- stay healthy or die

Old 01-15-2017, 02:32 PM

12,601 posts, read 7,219,689 times
When you spend 8 years railing against something, you would think they had something in mind.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:40 PM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post

Bill Clinton was accused of rape ... bimbo...
The woman who off and on accuses Bill Clinton of rape has changed her story so many times that Starr declined to use her as a witness.

At the time, she told her lover she was raped, but she did not tell her husband.

No police were involved and she continued volunteering with Bill Clinton's campaign.

At some point, Hillary Clinton thanked her for volunteering and this woman believes there was a veiled threat contained within the thank you. Who knows.

I wouldn't use the term "bimbo." But I doubt it is inaccurate.

However, I fail to see what this has to do with health care.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:50 PM

7,132 posts, read 4,764,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunshine1995 View Post
Wrong there is a plan

The plan is to give more flexibility to employers so they don't have to pay for most of the medical costs of their employees. That is why every republican plan has a HSA and even the president elect has spoken about those. Instead of having your employer pay 80% of your premium he will match your contribution up to a certain amount. 401k health insurance.
I think an HSA is mostly to cover high co-insurance and high deductible costs. Premiums are paid monthly so not really amenable for saving up to pay.

Quote:
They will let you buy stock with your savings since the market always goes up.
Except when it doesn't like 2001, 2008 and 2011.

A 401k works because for retirement because you are in control of when you retire - if the market is down you wait a couple years for your 401k to recover and then you retire. That doesn't work for an HSA because you cannot control when you have an expensive medical crisis. If you need to pay off a huge co-pay or a huge deductible but the market has sunk your HSA, you will be screwed.

HSA is great for people who are healthy and make enough money to fund the HSA. They will come out ahead.

Old 01-15-2017, 02:58 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
If you are 56 I'm pretty sure your group is more expensive to insure than a fertile young woman.

I don't think young women want to pay for treating old people either. Why should they pay for your old age?
Why should I pay for someone else's maternity care. I'm healthy by the way.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:00 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Trump said his plan would be released after his health and human services cabinet member was seated. Thats Tom Price. Heres his healthcare plan that he has tried to pass inn the past:

http://tomprice.house.gov/sites/tomp...Act%202015.pdf

Read some of that, and imagine how folks would react. My favorite part is where all the Trump supporters who dont have insurance, will pay 150% of the normal rate for 18 months. And if they ever lapse, even for a day, it hits you for 18 months again.

Might they feel a tad forced to buy insurance? And a LOT more insecure in life Oh yeah.

I read through the document linked in your post, re-read it looking for where it states what you posted about the increased policy costs for previously uninsured policyholders, and the penalties for reinstating a policy after it has been allowed to lapse, and I don't see it there. Granted the linked piece is a summary of the plan and no doubt does not include all the details, but it's not spelled out in this document.

I have no doubt, however, that such a provision exists, and it would be for the purpose of discouraging people from signing up for coverage only when they need healthcare, then letting policies lapse when they don't need it. Since the provisions of Dr. Price's proposed healthcare insurance policies would NOT exclude people with pre-existing conditions, such penalties would be made to keep the insurance companies solvent by ensuring that people don't sign up, pay premiums just long enough to use the coverage when they are sick, then let the policy lapse when they are better.

There is no provision to prevent this from occuring under Obamacare, and no motive for people inclined to do this from just signing up for insurance when they are sick, since they know they can't be turned down for preexisting conditions. That leaves insurance companies insuring only sick people, increasing costs for them-perhaps into insolvency, they increase the policy rates even further, well people don't want to or can't pay those rates, leaving the sick people who can't be turned down, and on and on.

Insurance companies used to handle pre-existing conditions either by insuring the individual but excluding coverage related to the pre-existing condition for a period of time-from 6 months to 2 years- many employer group insurance policies did this, I'm not sure about individual coverage. There were also provisions for coverage of pre-existing conditions under a "continuous coverage clause", ie the individual was previously covered by health insurance which covered that condition, the policy had not lapsed ( or a short time ago, times vary).

You're critical of these penalties for prior noncoverage or lapse of coverage in Dr. Price's proposed insurance coverage. Are you aware that similar penalties exist for Medicare recipients who do not sign up for Part B or Part D coverage when they first become eligible-unless they had other credible coverage. The penalties consist of a pecentage added to the premiums, depending on the length of time involved, and that penalty lasts as long as you pay those premiums, not just 18 months. So such penalties are not limited to replacements for Obamacare.

https://medicare.com/about-medicare/...-65-penalties/

And no, under these new plans, enrollment will be entirely optional. The individual mandate will be gone.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:01 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,719,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
I think an HSA is mostly to cover high co-insurance and high deductible costs. Premiums are paid monthly so not really amenable for saving up to pay.

Except when it doesn't like 2001, 2008 and 2011.

A 401k works because for retirement because you are in control of when you retire - if the market is down you wait a couple years for your 401k to recover and then you retire. That doesn't work for an HSA because you cannot control when you have an expensive medical crisis. If you need to pay off a huge co-pay or a huge deductible but the market has sunk your HSA, you will be screwed.

HSA is great for people who are healthy and make enough money to fund the HSA. They will come out ahead.
Quote:
Yes that how HSA work now and they are great. They just have a limit around 3,500 right now. Their plan is to increase the limit and let you pay the premiums from that account

Sure it will be risky but do you think anybody cares? No one cared before ACA if some couldn't afford healthcare costs. Over 60 million people voted knowing 20 million could lose their healthcare benefits. Why would they care for poor investments? No one cared when people lost thousands of dollars in retirement during the stock market crash.
I contribute max to my HSA every year. Most of us will become sick and I like having pre-tax money earmarked for that time. If I pass suddenly then it passes to my husband. And it's better than using after tax money to pay for healthcare.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:07 PM

8,479 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Welcome to the Republican version of health care Darwinism. The young and fit will survive. Everyone else who is old, chronically ill and poor will fall off the precipice. Trump is thinning the herd for the new world order.

Old 01-15-2017, 03:10 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Same reason Democrats never allowed Republicans to read their plans before voting on it... remember Pelosi? The plan is finished and no details will be leaked...
If they had known "what is in it", there would have been even more opposition to Obamacare than there already was.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies