Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 06:21 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,765,220 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope, you don't get to shoot people for throwing rocks. You, Jane Citizen are not judge, jury and executioner. This is why we have a court system.
It looks like the legal system was entirely inadequate to prevent this woman's house from being pelted with rocks. This is why people sell their houses at a loss and move away when the number of black 15-year-olds roaming the neighborhood at night reaches critical mass.

Old 01-19-2017, 06:54 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Another one who compares a person going onto your property and stealing something, with someone who drove onto the driveway simply to ask directions.

Wow.
Someone coming on your property doesn't deserve a death sentence.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:40 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,624,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Someone coming on your property doesn't deserve a death sentence.
Someone coming on your property to do what? Ask a question? You're right.

To steal something? To attack you?

See not everything is as black and white as you'd like to think.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:49 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can't be hit with a rock if you're inside of your house.
Sure you can. They can go through windows.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:51 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,631,426 times
Twelve pages while very little facts are known.

But, to be fair, I guess much of it has focused on what constitutes a threat.

Having rocks thrown at you constitutes a threat, but we don't know for sure whether or not that occurred.

Old 01-19-2017, 07:57 PM

8,245 posts, read 3,499,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the searchers View Post
I read the article and all the posts and was surprised nobody else saw the obvious.

If a group of white kids continuously went to a black residence and threw items at those who lived there it would be treated as a racist incident. There is no doubt about that.

Also the "hood" rule of not giving names to the police is mentioned in what some of the boys said to the woman.

What she did was not smart.

What is happening in the country with out of control groups is becoming very alarming.
Or what would happen if they were throwing those rocks at police.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

21,868 posts, read 25,167,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope, you don't get to shoot people for throwing rocks. You, Jane Citizen are not judge, jury and executioner. This is why we have a court system.
Absolutely you do, if they're throwing rocks at you.

Do I necessarily take her word at face value, honestly no. At least from how the news article tells the story it's not really credible but then that's also why we have a court system rather than trying things in the court of public opinion. It's a they said she said issue. If other witness come forward that yes, these are hooligans that have been throwing large rocks at people in the neighborhood, her story is more credible. On the other hand if they're throwing pebbles being stupid kids that scratched her car it's a harder sell that she was acting in self-defense.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:30 PM

1,081 posts, read 549,455 times
If you read the wmaz story (local news) she shows the rocks that the youths were throwing. They were big enough to do serious damage.
According to the shooter, she was at the neighbors house, saw them, waited until they left, then tried to return home. At that time, they returned and started throwing rocks at her. She shot in their direction out of fear of bodily harm.

The youths went from throwing rocks at the house and car in the previous weeks to throwing rocks at her in this incident because she reported them to the police for previous property damage. They upped the ante from property damage to assault.

According to Georgia law, she simply needed to be in fear of death or great bodily harm.

O.C.G.A. § 16-3-21
Use of force in defense of self or others; evidence of belief that force was necessary in murder or manslaughter prosecution

(a) A person is justified in threatening or using force against another when and to the extent that he or she reasonably believes that such threat or force is necessary to defend himself or herself or a third person against such other's imminent use of unlawful force; however, except as provided in Code Section 16-3-23, a person is justified in using force which is intended or likely to cause death or great bodily harm only if he or she reasonably believes that such force is necessary to prevent death or great bodily injury to himself or herself or a third person or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony.

Like someone else said, witnesses need to come forward and a court of law needs to determine if it was a valid defensive shooting.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:40 PM

6,476 posts, read 4,079,302 times
8won6, again don't stoop to their level. But I like how you didn't mention race once in your posts. I don't agree with shooting anyone. I come from a nation were it is shoot first and ask later and my mom has horror stories of how she lost distant friends/relatives due to this policy. I do not like it, but to me if someone is throwing rocks at my house and the police don't do anything, we are bringing this to court, we are not going to be shooting anyone.
You guys can argue how dangerous a rock is but a bunch of teenagers while doing property damage but not physically assaulting you don't deserve a death sentence. That right there is third world logic, I am from a third world country and regardless of whether she is in the right or wrong you shouldn't be discharging a weapon at children throwing rocks. Why did she confront them in the first place. Clearly she did unless she goes to change her tire pressure with a gun in hand (anyone who feels the need to do that should probably GTFO of whatever neighborhood your in).

Old 01-20-2017, 02:37 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,853,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw
Not for "walking past her house.". They were throwing rocks at her. They regularly harass and throw rocks at her and damage her car and house. Cops told the kids to stay away but they kept coming back.
It appears they got what they deserved.....

Poor lady......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies