Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2017, 12:52 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,607,603 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Kids kill all the time. Sorry, but "kids" don't get a break. If they want to act like grown ups and take a lethal aggressive behavior, they will be treated like such. Welcome to responsibility, I know... it is a bit hard for some to accept.

She did, the report says she had the cops out there several times. What? She should wait till she is beaten and raped? I guess having a lethal object thrown at you is not an issue. You from California? They like to have their victims fully submit and beg for mercy from their attackers before even thinking to spout an unkind word.

Likely? There is or there isn't. Get your facts straight and stop shoveling your assumptions.

She called the police, had them reported several times. Catch up, you are falling behind.

When you are being attacked with lethal objects, responding in kind is a bit of a no brainier, but some people think you should die before you offend an attacker, you know... because they are CHILDREN!!! OMG!!!
On point. Rep given.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:54 PM

30,274 posts, read 23,751,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
Nope, you don't get to shoot people for throwing rocks. You, Jane Citizen are not judge, jury and executioner. This is why we have a court system.
Do you think they were just lobbing pebbles at her? Tossing them towards her in a jaunty manner? Have you ever been smacked upside the head with a rock? Rocks can kill people. Haven't you ever heard of people being stoned to death? That's caused by people throwing rocks at a person.

Do you think she's just standing there at her front door, waiting to be pelted? She could have been out gardening, coming home from the store, walking her dog, whatever...I'm curious as to what images went through your mind to cause you to type such a thing.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:55 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
You can't be hit with a rock if you're inside of your house.

A surveillance camera would have been better than shooting a gun at them.

If she only wanted to scare them and not hit them why not shoot toward the ground.
Exactly. She did not have to shoot the kid. There were other options.

The problem we have in society today is we are quick to escalate stuff way too high. She could have fired a warning shot, the kids would have heard the shots and bolted.

She lives in small town Georgia, how much work would it have taken to find out which school those kids went to with her surveillance videos. If they repeatedly came over she could have taken a picture, and worked with the police to identify them.

It is not the Wild West, vigilante justice is not the right option.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:56 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,836,240 times
Quote:
She could have fired a warning shot, the kids would have heard the shots and bolted.
Sounds like that is what she did, only problem? She missed.

Old 01-19-2017, 12:58 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,893,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Yea, but they were probably not the same after?

Which is why I, personally, would have sacrificed the windows and car damage to have concrete evidence that can be used to press formal criminal & civil charges. Even if the shooting is completely justified, the repercussions of taking lethal self defense action are going to be far more of a pain in the ass and financial drain than replacing the windows and fixing the damage afterwards - and that is IF it is found to be self defense... Approaching it logically and not in a "pissed off in the moment" state the cost/benefit of shooting someone for this does not add up.

People are quick to go into cowboy thinking mode, but I promise you no one feels like a cowboy when they are filling out paperwork, spending the night/week/month in jail, getting bail bonded out, paying lawyers, spending months and sometimes years in court, filling out more paperwork, becoming a national news story, etc... All this and more can be yours and all you have to do is pull the trigger on a gun one time!

I still think a paintball gun and attic window is the best answer.
My dad always had a BB gun for these sort of situations.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:00 PM

57,317 posts, read 26,236,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
This is a problem with the user, not the tool. Warning shots are almost never a good idea, much less 5 of them.
One shot entered through his forehead and exited through the back of his head, while that could have been a ricochet it's still questionable that it was a warning shot.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
Exactly. She did not have to shoot the kid. There were other options.

The problem we have in society today is we are quick to escalate stuff way too high. She could have fired a warning shot, the kids would have heard the shots and bolted.

She lives in small town Georgia, how much work would it have taken to find out which school those kids went to with her surveillance videos. If they repeatedly came over she could have taken a picture, and worked with the police to identify them.

It is not the Wild West, vigilante justice is not the right option.
A warning shot???

A warning shot means you don't perceive you are in any imminent danger. Why would you fire a shot when you aren't in any imminent danger? You would be charged for attempted murder for firing a warning shot.

Absolutely no warning shot. Either you shoot to stop the imminent threat or your gun should be holstered.

https://blog.christopherburg.com/201...r-a-good-idea/

Old 01-19-2017, 01:04 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,576,036 times
Quote:
My dad always had a BB gun for these sort of situations.
If you shoot at me with your BB guns, expect me to shoot back with a real gun. I could easily lose an eye if I were to be hit in the eye.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,217,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Couple of comments.

The story between the tire pressure checking and the at a neighbors is different, but not a direct manner to which you could assume a given change of issue. That is, the news is reporting vaguely on the issue, you really can't take issue as your reporting is spotty at best.

Next, can you point to me where SHE said she fired off warning shots? I see a comment by the detective that firing warning shots is never acceptable, but I see no verification or corroboration of such being admitted by the woman.

Past that, really... your objection is kind of weak.

Time will tell, but lets both be honest, like most of these cases, usually the truth comes out and the news fails to follow up because it didn't fit the narrative.

Time will tell, but so far... you are stretching to promote a position.
Quote:
It all came to a head at about 8 p.m. Monday.

Cannon said she was at her neighbors home. She saw the teens walking down the street so she delayed going back to her house until they were gone. "My daughter was home alone," she said.

When the teens were out of sight, Cannon said she returned to her house where she checked on her daughter's car.

The teens came back, Cannon said.

"I saw them out of the corner of my eye," she said. "The barrage of big rocks started, not just at my car and house, but me.

"I started shooting in their direction. They started running," Cannon said.
Woman who shot Macon teen in head said it was self defense | 11alive.com
What she said in one interview.

Quote:
Reading from the incident report from the night of the shooting, Davis said that Cannon told authorities that she was out in her yard with her daughter checking their car's tire pressure when three black males walking on the sidewalk nearby began yelling insults and throwing rocks at them.
Cannon reportedly told deputies that the rocks were hitting her house and flying past her head. She said that she did not have time to run inside, so she just pulled out her gun and started shooting to scare the alleged assailants away.
Authorities investigating whether Macon woman's shooting of teen is justified | WGXA
What she told police on incident report the night of shooting.

So she was at a neighbors saw the teens, stayed there then went home worried about her daughter and decided to check the tire pressure? Really?

As for where she said that she shot to scare them, it was from the deputy at the court appearance as reported on the incident report. There was video linked of the actual court appearance and there is a link that discusses the incident report.

Quote:
A Bibb County investigator told the judge that Cannon admitted to deputies that she fired shots as three teenagers were walking near her home, but only "meant to scare them."
Authorities investigating whether Macon woman's shooting of teen is justified | WGXA.

Unless you think that the investigator is not telling the truth in court about what was in the incident report taken the night of the shooting, she stated that she was only trying to scare them off.

Old 01-19-2017, 01:05 PM

21,154 posts, read 19,736,448 times
Someone's gotta teach the ni--as not to mess with white people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies