Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2017, 03:14 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Healthcare, access to inexpensive birth control, and yes, access to abortions should a woman choose to have one.

The comments on this thread say more about all of you. Standing up in solidarity to proclaim, "We're not going backwards" is not whining or sniveling. It is saying that we're not going anywhere, and we're going to fight to keep the hard won rights that we have now.

I haven't posted much in the politics forum recently, because it gets tiresome to see things like "do you need a safe space", etc. Belittling and mocking don't exactly sway people to your side. It just angers us and makes us stronger. You know what a bunch of snowflakes are? A blizzard!
I'm never on this site anymore because it's been hijacked by the right wing. When I started posting here in 2007 it was much different with educated posters that shared ideas, and rarely were they nasty-regardless of views. Now, well here we are. The new USA. Where ignorance is not only respected, but encouraged.
These men on C-D know why we marched, they just wanted to poke the bear. Well they have, and time will tell if that was a worthwhile venture for them. I proudly marched today along side 10K people in my small city that also said enough to this administration.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:15 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,378,980 times
My entire family attended the march in Denver. There were no hissy fits. It was a celebratory atmosphere where people were focused on connecting with others who are also concerned about the direction of the nation under this new administration. We were college students, retired people, suburban moms/dads, and children living out their Constitutional right to assemble. We marched for a variety of reasons, including the following:

* Health care
* Public education
* Immigration
* Environmental issues
* Planned Parenthood
* Racism
* The Arts
* Dignity and decency in our elected leaders

Truly, it was one of the highlights of my life. The internet is great for allowing people who feel isolated to make connections, but there is really no replacement for being physically present. I felt alive and engaged. Denver expected 40k people tops, and 200k showed up. I wish you all could have been there and felt the positive energy. It was an incredible call to action. I had many favorite signs, but the best was this: "We are not here because we fear the future, but because we seek to shape the future." That's what it's all about, and now it's time to get to work.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:16 PM

198 posts, read 262,065 times
The people (protestors) are taking their country back!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:16 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,878,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
It really is a side-show. If these women would apply themselves and quit whining and complaining, they may
be more respected. I can't stand a crybaby. Grow some skin, pull yourselves up, and work hard. You're not going to gain respect by acting like children. I'm a woman, and I'm embarrassed for you all.
Pshhh. Get back in your kitchen and make your man some supper.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:17 PM

3,079 posts, read 1,117,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
By that last sentence, you validate you did not listen to President Donald Trump's Inauguration speech, or you twisted his words to suit yourself.
You are correct. I did not watch his speech but I did read it...all 1433 words. The important thing here to ME is trump has his own agenda and NOTHING he says is inclusive to me. He is one of the most untrustworthy, divisive, deceptive people I have ever seen and I am sad for our country and the dark road he is sure to take. I can only hope his presidency is short lived and I will do what I can, as a woman and a US citizen, to make sure he and his cronies (and the republican congress) are gone, if not soon then at the next elections, whether that means protesting or simply rallying the vote. I will not remain silent.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:23 PM

7,529 posts, read 10,265,606 times
Just got back from the enormous march in NYC which is still going on. Considerably larger than the inaguarable attendance, as I understand it. I'm sure Trump's tiny hands will take to twitter soon spreading fake news about his yuuuuuge crowds. Well guess what? Cameras don't lie.

The message the world is sending: Trump is prez, not king. And he can expect a huge fight if he starts to act like one. So get used to it.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:27 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
^^^Nailed it. Sorry, can't rep you just now.

When those deluded Trump supporters realize that their guy cannot make good on all those promises, that the mines and factories are not coming back, that no wall is likely to be built along the Mexican border, much less paid for by Mexico, and that Putin is probably not the best playmate for America in the global playground - perhaps then they will better understand the concerns of those marching in Washington and elsewhere today.

Unfortunately, it appears that many Trump supporters posting here share their hero's bullying ways, short attention span, lack of accurate knowledge of world and national affairs and of the basics of American constitutional government, and lack of willingness to become better informed.

Time teaches hard lessons, however. I expect Trump and his supporters are in for some tough schooling.

You nailed it better.

Yes, time teaches (to those who will learn) and time will tell.

I suspect it's quite possible that trump will lose his s*** at some point and will act out (via speech and/or action) in such an outrageous way that even his die hard supporters will see the light. Some of them. Others will be too proud and arrogant to see and admit what they have helped to create.

The guy is not a stable or balanced person. He's so neurotic ... quite mad actually imo. And i don't think that he has the inner fortitude to withstand the fact that millions and millions of people in this country and around the world are vehemently against him and his presidency and see him for the destructive and vulgar, greedy, narcissistic, selfish ego that he is.
He is such a "little man" and with frighteningly little self awareness and almost no self restraint and has a desperate need for attention (this goes back years .... i've been aware of this blustering idiot since the 80's) and approval and i don't think he's going to be able to withstand the pressure. He is a weak and insecure person. All bullies are.
Unfortunately, that he won't be able to withstand the pressure combined with the fact that he has absolutely no humility makes him a potentially very dangerous person.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:28 PM

34,066 posts, read 17,096,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big-Bucks View Post
When it comes right down to it, these protestors are just having a tantrum because their candidate (with two X chromosomes) lost. Time to cry.

Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 PM

152 posts, read 134,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Women's march: Protesters rally worldwide in solidarity with Washington event - CNNPolitics.com

This is such a wonderful sight. Hundreds of thousands of women are marching against the misogynist President who just won an election and was inaugurated, even though his female opponent had 3 million more votes than he did.

And when you tally up the women all over the world the numbers are in the millions. Strong, passionate, educated women standing shoulder to shoulder in opposition to him all over the world. From Washington D.C. to Chicago to L.A., to Africa, Australia and across Europe, women are standing together and speaking out.

This makes me proud to not only be an American, but to be a human being. Thank you ladies, I hear you all.

In for my daily libs meltdown dose. Love it!

Old 01-21-2017, 03:35 PM

1,722 posts, read 1,744,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
You are correct. I did not watch his speech but I did read it...all 1433 words. The important thing here to ME is trump has his own agenda and NOTHING he says is inclusive to me. He is one of the most untrustworthy, divisive, deceptive people I have ever seen and I am sad for our country and the dark road he is sure to take. I can only hope his presidency is short lived and I will do what I can, as a woman and a US citizen, to make sure he and his cronies (and the republican congress) are gone, if not soon then at the next elections, whether that means protesting or simply rallying the vote. I will not remain silent.
It may end before 4 years are up.

The republican congress must stand up to him. If not, they'll be gone too and they know it. That's why it's so important that the rallies and protests continue. Congress will take note. Their need / desire to keep their seats of power is their top priority patriots that they are .
If people don't keep it up (i think they will however) congress will bow and cow tow to this most cunning and manipulative and foul and vulgar beast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies