Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2017, 10:22 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm a liberal who did not vote for Trump but honest to G*d I hoped for the best. Trump's early rhetoric about bridging the Congressional aisle made sense. He was a voice for the Rust Belt and those who have been overlooked by both parties. Unfortunately, the messenger isn't up to the message.

This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index. Frankly, though, this may well be the state of affairs. Yellow showers no, this yes.

West Wing leaker goes dark after pulling back the curtain: Trump "irrational", staff "demoralized"

Highlights:

* Trump has no idea how to fix Obamacare. He still doesn't know what a high risk pool is.

* Trump wants to start leaking directly to wikileaks to corner opponents.

* Priebus wants to resign but Ryan so far has talked him out of it.

* There's no idea even how to begin to deal with the difficult terrain issues to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

* He has no interest in or ability to absorb factual background on issues that staff provides.
"This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index"

Yet, you posted it anyway!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:27 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,949,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Can't anyone open up a twitter account?

How do we know that the "anonymous White House source" isn't 18Montclair, evilcart, tinytrump, or any other Trump hater out there?
If the account makes predictions that turn out to be true, that's proof it isn't 18Montclair.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,769,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
Everyone who has any idea of how large organization leadership works, be it in business or government, understands the CEO (in this case the President) sets the agenda and the policy of the organization, then hires competent leaders who do not have to be experts in the specific field, rather just need to be good leaders, to drive the agenda and policy causing those further down the chain of command to implement the agenda and policy based on their expertise more specific to the task at hand. This is known as macromanagement as opposed to micromanagement.
I have been part of an executive team and I agree with your assessment of how a good exec team works. But I don't agree with your view that Trump is a good CEO. All the CEOs I worked with were good leaders - they communicated well, supportive of their team, instilled a sense of confidence that his/her vision was a good one for the company, took the long view on things, knew what was important and what wasn't, and were pretty thick skinned because things don't always go as planned and you have to roll with the punches.

Trump has none of those qualities. He bullies and berates people and rants and raves rather than communicates. It is unclear if he even has a strategy as he seems to just unleash diatribes about whatever he last saw on TV. I would also counter that he does micromanage - for instance this business about the 20% import tax should have been determined by the State Department working with congress to make sure it is workable and then communicated. It wasn't. Trump simply told Spicer what to say and it blew up in his face.

Trump may be fine as the head of a family run company that has nobody to answer to but he would never work as the CEO of a major corporation that has a board and has stock holders. And he is even less suited for this role in which he has to work with congress, governors, and foreign leaders.

But as you said, we will see. We will know in 180 days whether we can get through 4 years or whether someone needs to figure out if incompetence qualifies for applying the 25th Amendment.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:41 AM

9,694 posts, read 7,394,892 times
He been working three day, hell yes this is fake news or the person complaining is a liberal that still hurt that they lost

Old 01-27-2017, 10:44 AM

7,736 posts, read 4,990,052 times
Another day. More liberals complaining about someone that hasn't even been president for a week..... Thank You Barack Obama, I will never vote Liberal ever , ever , ever again.

Old 01-27-2017, 10:49 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Absolutely, he's now pressuring the park service to find proof of his claim about his inauguration being the highest attended. He is the president but that isn't good enough for him. I would laugh at him if it wasn't so scary. Well sorry, I do still laugh at him lol
Aside from the parts where he flat-out lied, my favorite part of his speech:

"...And then, puzzlingly, the president asked the gathering of congressional Republicans where Mike Pompeo, his CIA director, was.

“Where is Pompeo? Where the hell is he?” Trump asked. "Oh, he’s working?”

Pompeo had been confirmed to his new role earlier this week and was no longer a member of Congress, something Trump seemed to have forgotten...."

Old 01-27-2017, 11:03 AM

1,160 posts, read 713,249 times
this is why liberal outlets should lose their qualifications as journalists. some random, anonymous twitter account pops up and they follow it and report on it as if it's news..

Old 01-27-2017, 11:30 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index"

Yet, you posted it anyway!
Yes, well, like I said earlier I noted the the link was to Daily Kos (which was not evident unless the viewer clicked on it). Why? Because you absolutely are correct that the information source IS relevant to a reader assessment. Even so, that an outlet is biased only means that news may be slanted by, say, only including certain information or writing with the intent to move readers towards a particular viewpoint. Or perhaps, the outlet is less fastidious about fact checking or does not insist that sources be disclosed to editors or otherwise be corroborated. The Daily Kos falls into that category. BUT biased or not, the actual news in any one article may, in fact, be completely or fully correct. In other words, bias does not necessarily equate to falseness.

With the rapid expansion of cable then web-based and now the social media, increasing we obtain our "news" through alternate outlets that may well not have editorial oversight. So, yes, any reader SHOULD apply their own criterion. Is is credible (given what the reader knows or believes about the topic)? Again credible doesn't equate to truth (which is an absolute). But it's an assessment that everyone should apply.

Ironically, it IS Trump himself who has accelerated the move towards dubious information distributed through alternate sources. A famous example is his rehashing of the rumor that Ted Cruz' father met with Lee Harvey Oswald (wasn't it the National Inquirer that published a photo of a man that possibly resembled the father?). Then his goal was to win an election. Now President he's moving to declare war on the press attempting trying to quash or call into doubt any reports that do not support the image he desires. Reverse fake news!!!

That's another topic but in the current "war of words" and alternate sources it's fair game that most be considered - for whatever the reader believes them to be worth.

Last edited by EveryLady; 01-27-2017 at 11:54 AM..

Old 01-27-2017, 11:33 AM

7,300 posts, read 3,398,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryLady View Post
I'm a liberal who did not vote for Trump but honest to G*d I hoped for the best. Trump's early rhetoric about bridging the Congressional aisle made sense. He was a voice for the Rust Belt and those who have been overlooked by both parties. Unfortunately, the messenger isn't up to the message.

This may well be "fake news" and the source (Daily Kos) sure isn't up there on the unbiased index. Frankly, though, this may well be the state of affairs. Yellow showers no, this yes.

West Wing leaker goes dark after pulling back the curtain: Trump "irrational", staff "demoralized"

Highlights:

* Trump has no idea how to fix Obamacare. He still doesn't know what a high risk pool is.

* Trump wants to start leaking directly to wikileaks to corner opponents.

* Priebus wants to resign but Ryan so far has talked him out of it.

* There's no idea even how to begin to deal with the difficult terrain issues to build a wall between the US and Mexico.

* He has no interest in or ability to absorb factual background on issues that staff provides.
An "anonymous leaker" according to the DailyKos? Sounds credible. Try not to faint before I clutch my pearls and join you.

Old 01-27-2017, 11:37 AM

8,502 posts, read 3,343,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domitian View Post
this is why liberal outlets should lose their qualifications as journalists. some random, anonymous twitter account pops up and they follow it and report on it as if it's news..
I value accuracy and precision to the point that many years ago I ignored some threats and took an errant employee to Court due to documents she falsified. My opinion of Trump went way down after the I-met-Putin-in-the-green-room fib for my take is that when folks lie about the little things they are more likely to move on to the big whoppers.

Dishonest media I can handle (again, research, fact-check, maintain your sense of incredulity) then if necessary move on to another source. We've only one President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies