Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2017, 09:15 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Doll View Post

The only resistance is from the liberal fortresses called Metro America. Those small dots of blue that litter that beautiful sheet of Red.. The massive heartland is holding up the middle finger in your face.

What makes this country great... We are not Europe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 09:17 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
They have to go through immigration upon re-entry, same as US citizens with US passports. Immigration detains and further investigates anyone who arouses suspicion. That's just the way it works. There is no magic free pass that lets anyone, not even US passport-holding citizens, from bypassing that process.

Those who travel internationally know this.
Yes, that is how it works already. I've been through it a time or three, and I'm good with it.

That isn't what Trump's EO is about.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:25 AM

1,702 posts, read 1,918,951 times
I for one am very proud of the spontaneous protests that broke out at airports across the country over Trump's outrageous EO. This is the America I thought we may have lost, speaking out against injustice. While anti-immigrant sentiment is nothing new in this country it has never before been promoted by our president.

It might serve current republican politicians well to remember that Trump did not even carry a majority and many who did vote for him were the "Hold your Nose" variety. The more outrageous Trump gets without republican pushback, the more vulnerable these politicians will be to even a primary challenge ala Tea Party.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:29 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Yes, that is how it works already. I've been through it a time or three, and I'm good with it.

That isn't what Trump's EO is about.
In fact, it is. It's about pausing re-entry from known high-risk countries until appropriate vetting can be concluded.

Read and learn:

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand...ND_PE130-1.pdf

Old 01-29-2017, 09:31 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,739,477 times
Quote:
In fact, it is. It's about pausing re-entry from known high-risk countries until appropriate vetting can be concluded.

Read and learn:

http://www.rand.org/content/dam/rand...ND_PE130-1.pdf
No, it isn't just about that.

It's also about a syrian green card holder returning from Canada.

Doesn't matter which country they're traveling from, it only matters where they were born.

Last edited by jacqueg; 01-29-2017 at 09:52 AM..

Old 01-29-2017, 09:32 AM

13,414 posts, read 9,945,815 times
Quote:
They have to go through immigration upon re-entry, same as US citizens with US passports. Immigration detains and further investigates anyone who arouses suspicion. That's just the way it works. There is no magic free pass that lets anyone, not even US passport-holding citizens, from bypassing that process.

Those who travel internationally know this.
And if something is found to be suspicious, they are subject to a little American tradition known as DUE PROCESS.

They are not barred from entry, as these people are now.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:35 AM

11,240 posts, read 11,018,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scend57 View Post
Brief timeline for review.....

Trump, June 2015-election day: "build a wall" and Mexico rhetoric

Trump, Dec 2015-election day: Muslim ban and "extreme vetting" rhetoric

....January 2017/the present: "shock!" and "disbelief!" from Liberals that Trump is actually following thru on his campaign promises

Have leftists not been paying attention for the last 18 months?? Been living under a rock? There is no real "surprise" by any of these unfolding events for those of us that pay attention
Liberals never believed he stood a chance, and that mentality lasted all the way up to that glorious day (Nov 8). It's not a matter of not paying attention. It is a matter of denial. That denial is now turning to fright and anger. And rightfully so. Trump has a lot more tools to work with to get things done.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:37 AM

39,218 posts, read 27,586,391 times
I will be honest. I sometimes feel like a bad person for speaking my mind. Example, my personal opinion towards torture, illegal immigrants, muslim ban.. etc.

First of all, I don't believe all illegals and all Muslims are bad people. No, I don't believe that at all.

This said, I don't think people should always have this one sided conversation. Either, or, black or white, you vs us.

I think the key phrase is " UNTIL WE HAVE REVIEWED THE SITUATION AND UNDERSTAND WHAT IS GOING ON"

Does anybody here think we should carefully reassess our ability to screen applicants to our country? Does anybody think it may be a good idea to track activities of those recent arrivals? Would anyone consider slowing that immigration process down until we can ramp up our capabilities to properly protect ourselves?

If not today, what is your threshold for giving consideration to that tightening?

So as distasteful as this sounds, that may mean racial profiling in terms of immigration restrictions/checks and even internal surveillance.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:42 AM

88,983 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
No, it isn't just about that.

It's also about a syrian green card holder returning from Canada.
Canada and Mexico are just 2 adjacent countries from which one can return after traveling abroad. One could have been anywhere in the world prior to that. Much like illegal aliens are flooding the Southern border, but they're not all from Mexico.

Old 01-29-2017, 09:43 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrow1 View Post
I for one am very proud of the spontaneous protests that broke out at airports across the country over Trump's outrageous EO. This is the America I thought we may have lost, speaking out against injustice. While anti-immigrant sentiment is nothing new in this country it has never before been promoted by our president.

It might serve current republican politicians well to remember that Trump did not even carry a majority and many who did vote for him were the "Hold your Nose" variety. The more outrageous Trump gets without republican pushback, the more vulnerable these politicians will be to even a primary challenge ala Tea Party.

Research Ellis Island......
The people that can look past the tip of their noses, are smart enough to see what the future brings.
Ellis Island returns, for good reason! The majority of people and most importantly States, have demanded it.
The times we live in.
Adapt, or become extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies