Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 12:53 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
If they have actually committed a crime, they will not be "protected". Do you know what "sanctuary city" policy is? It does not protect criminals.

See my post just above this one for more info on what the policy actually says.
Yes I get that they will still serve jail time I get that .
But after they are being sent right back to us soil and typically end up committing more crimes .
Criminals usually don't do just one crime in their life .
That's the problem .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:01 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Map: Sanctuary Cities, Counties, and States | Center for Immigration Studies

Looks like Utah, Idaho and Montana have no sanctuary jurisdictions and I can say without a shadow of doubt that they are far safer then sanctuary states like New Mexico.

Colorado Springs is not a sanctuary city and Denver is a sanctuary city. Colorado Springs had 376 robberies in 2015 compared to Denver which had 1,230 robberies. Denver is about 50% larger in population.

Denver also tends to cook the books to make the crime rates seem lower.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._city_2015.xls

Phoenix and Maricopa County has much, much lower violent crime rate then Las Vegas and Clark County, Nevada. Phoenix is not a sanctuary city and Maricopa County had one of the most strong sheriff's in America on enforcing the immigration laws for 22 years as opposed to Las Vegas and Clark County which is a sanctuary jurisdiction.
Oh for crying out loud...

Comparing Utah, Idaho and Montana to just about any areas with larger populations and urban centers is like arguing you are far less likely to be hit by a car out on a country road in Nebraska than on a freeway in Los Angeles! You'd be right of course, but for the love of apples and oranges, this isn't rocket science!

Old 02-10-2017, 01:03 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,915,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Yes I get that they will still serve jail time I get that .
But after they are being sent right back to us soil and typically end up committing more crimes .
Criminals usually don't do just one crime in their life .
That's the problem .
And federal immigration agents are welcome to do the work to deport them. "Sanctuary cities" won't stop that from happening.

If Trump wants to get serious about deportation, he can easily do that right now.

I support deportation of these criminals.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
They do not. They simply will not enforce federal law that is not in their jurisdiction. If there is someone who has committed a crime, they will not just let them go. If a federal agent comes in for them, local law enforcement will not stop them.

Have you actually read what "sanctuary city" policy is? All it says is that local resources and personnel will not be used to carry out federal immigration law that is not in their jurisdiction. It really is not all that controversial.

I realize this is a contentious topic for many people, and the word "sanctuary" implies "protection" - but that's not really what the policy is. It's always good to be informed - check out SF's "sanctuary city" policy here: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code...chapter12h.pdf
Thank you!

Where have you been all my C-D life?!?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:08 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,446 times
OP, all lies. The fascist dems want the illegals for the vote only. They would sell their mother for a vote.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM

Quote:
And federal immigration agents are welcome to do the work to deport them. "Sanctuary cities" won't stop that from happening.

If Trump wants to get serious about deportation, he can easily do that right now.

You'd think this was a new idea or Trump's idea if you didn't know better...

"President Obama has moved millions of people out. Nobody knows about it. Nobody talks about it. But under Obama, millions of people have been moved out of this country. They've been deported," Trump said.

Deportations and what to do with millions of people in the country illegally are highly controversial topics. Trump himself has not stuck to one approach about it.

There’s no doubt many people have been deported under Obama’s presidency --- but we were curious about Trump’s claim of "millions" and on lack of information about it, "nobody knows about it, nobody talks about it."

Here’s what’s known about deportation numbers.

Trump right on Obama's deportation numbers, wrong about nobody talking about it | PolitiFact

Old 02-10-2017, 01:10 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
They do not. They simply will not enforce federal law that is not in their jurisdiction. If there is someone who has committed a crime, they will not just let them go. If a federal agent comes in for them, local law enforcement will not stop them.

Have you actually read what "sanctuary city" policy is? All it says is that local resources and personnel will not be used to carry out federal immigration law that is not in their jurisdiction. It really is not all that controversial.

I realize this is a contentious topic for many people, and the word "sanctuary" implies "protection" - but that's not really what the policy is. It's always good to be informed - check out SF's "sanctuary city" policy here: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code...chapter12h.pdf
They should check the residency status of ANY person being arrested. Any time I've ever had dealings with the police I was asked for ID. It isn't asking a lot of the police. If the arrested individual failed to produce valid ID inform ICE about them. Simple. No legitimate reason not to do so unless your goal is to obstruct justice.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:11 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:

And it looks like the Feds have started in la

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.was...?client=safari

Nice to see some progress

Old 02-10-2017, 01:15 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,780,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I hear this argument a lot but it doesn't seem to be based by any facts or reality .

How do we know illegals are causing LESS crime than legal citizens if these sanctuary cities aren't even keeping track of who is illegal or legal when they catch a criminal ?

Also is this just a case of liberals lumping together illegal immigrants with legal ones ?
Because they have crime statistics? New York is the safest major city in the country. It's also the largest and has the most immigrants.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:15 PM

30,649 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Shouldn't be a priority at all. ONLY those who are arrested should be checked. Reporting a crime should not be a reason for checking residency status.
I agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies