Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2017, 01:17 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Because they have crime statistics? New York is the safest major city in the country. It's also the largest and has the most immigrants.
How many of these "immigrants" are undocumented?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2017, 01:22 PM

29,552 posts, read 9,733,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
They should check the residency status of ANY person being arrested. Any time I've ever had dealings with the police I was asked for ID. It isn't asking a lot of the police. If the arrested individual failed to produce valid ID inform ICE about them. Simple. No legitimate reason not to do so unless your goal is to obstruct justice.
I'm not sure what people think when it comes to this sort of issue, but no doubt people seem to think whatever they want according to whatever their political agenda may be. If anything, even if getting caught driving without a license were considered cause for deportation (say for example a person from Mexico visiting his Hispanic American brother), deportation is no sort of real prevention that person will not return soon enough, especially if you are there ready, willing and able when they return to give them work around your yard, on your farm, in your restaurant, at your construction site, to clean your hotel rooms, babysit your kids...

Driving without a license is considered a crime in all 50 states. In most cases, if no crash occurred and the driver wasn’t driving under the influence of anything, the charge for driving without a license for the first time will be a misdemeanor one that is punishable with fines, community service and/or possibly jail time. Depending upon the state that individuals get pulled over in, the fines for driving without a license could range anywhere between $100 and $1,000.

What Happens When You Get Pulled Over Without a Driver's License?

Old 02-10-2017, 01:24 PM

30,641 posts, read 18,249,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
They do not. They simply will not enforce federal law that is not in their jurisdiction. If there is someone who has committed a crime, they will not just let them go. If a federal agent comes in for them, local law enforcement will not stop them.

Have you actually read what "sanctuary city" policy is? All it says is that local resources and personnel will not be used to carry out federal immigration law that is not in their jurisdiction. It really is not all that controversial.

I realize this is a contentious topic for many people, and the word "sanctuary" implies "protection" - but that's not really what the policy is. It's always good to be informed - check out SF's "sanctuary city" policy here: https://law.resource.org/pub/us/code...chapter12h.pdf
Yes, sanctuary implies protection as sanctuary cities go out of their way to not call federal immigration authorities if they have someone in custody who is illegally in the country (for the most part, federal agents would have no way of knowing that such an individual is in custody to "come in for them").

If a sanctuary city arrests someone for DUI who is an illegal immigrant and that person is subsequently released from state/county custody for a court (made bail, charges dropped due to lack of evidence, etc.), the city will neither call nor hold said individual for the federal government. And the federal government would generally not know of this person's existence in the state/county legal system without a heads up from the local authorities.

Why do they do this? Its quite clear. In order to safeguard the illegal immigrants from being deported. If you listen to these sanctuary city leftists, there is constant talk about not wanting to "break up families," etc., as a main reason for their policy.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:43 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,558,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LearnMe View Post
I'm not sure what people think when it comes to this sort of issue, but no doubt people seem to think whatever they want according to whatever their political agenda may be. If anything, even if getting caught driving without a license were considered cause for deportation (say for example a person from Mexico visiting his Hispanic American brother), deportation is no sort of real prevention that person will not return soon enough, especially if you are there ready, willing and able when they return to give them work around your yard, on your farm, in your restaurant, at your construction site, to clean your hotel rooms, babysit your kids...

Driving without a license is considered a crime in all 50 states. In most cases, if no crash occurred and the driver wasn’t driving under the influence of anything, the charge for driving without a license for the first time will be a misdemeanor one that is punishable with fines, community service and/or possibly jail time. Depending upon the state that individuals get pulled over in, the fines for driving without a license could range anywhere between $100 and $1,000.

What Happens When You Get Pulled Over Without a Driver's License?
I've long advocated for mandatory use of e-verify by ALL employers.

When you are pulled over and found to be without a DL what happens next? I don't mean the lengthy article you posted about the possible legal consequences, I mean right then and there. It's happened to me before as I had forgotten my entire wallet at home. I happened to know my DL number and the officer ran the number and saw it was valid and had my photo on it. Gave me a warning.

Point is the officer must do SOMETHING when he encounters this doesn't he? If it is then revealed that a person is here illegally then yes they should be deported.

Deportation is not a bad word. I just do not support the idea of using resources to actively try rounding up folks, but if LEOs run across them due to their own actions then lets not pretend its okay.

Old 02-10-2017, 01:44 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,834,015 times
Well it makes them feel good.

Old 02-10-2017, 02:33 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovecrowds View Post
Map: Sanctuary Cities, Counties, and States | Center for Immigration Studies

Looks like Utah, Idaho and Montana have no sanctuary jurisdictions and I can say without a shadow of doubt that they are far safer then sanctuary states like New Mexico.

Colorado Springs is not a sanctuary city and Denver is a sanctuary city. Colorado Springs had 376 robberies in 2015 compared to Denver which had 1,230 robberies. Denver is about 50% larger in population.

Denver also tends to cook the books to make the crime rates seem lower.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/crime-in-the-u.s..._city_2015.xls

Phoenix and Maricopa County has much, much lower violent crime rate then Las Vegas and Clark County, Nevada. Phoenix is not a sanctuary city and Maricopa County had one of the most strong sheriff's in America on enforcing the immigration laws for 22 years as opposed to Las Vegas and Clark County which is a sanctuary jurisdiction.
Las Vegas is not a sanctuary city. It does not detain illegals on an ICE detainer but has that policy based on a federal court decision not an act of the city or county government.

And Phoenix is well higher than say Portland that is a Sanctuary city.

The truth of course is that Sanctuary City has virtually nothing to do with violent crime rate. And the vast majority of high violent crime rate cities are rust belt places with out illegal immigrants.

Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Raids in Los Angeles yesterday ...

Of the 150 who had criminal histories, their records included felony convictions for serious offenses such as child sex crimes, weapons charges and assaults, according to ICE.

These are the scumbags liberals are fighting for to stay here ???

Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,360,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Raids in Los Angeles yesterday ...

Of the 150 who had criminal histories, their records included felony convictions for serious offenses such as child sex crimes, weapons charges and assaults, according to ICE.

These are the scumbags liberals are fighting for to stay here ???
Nope. Those are the ones who should be gone...but only after a suitable time in prison. It is the law abiding mother of 2 in Phoenix who should not be deported.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:33 PM

1,896 posts, read 812,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I hear this argument a lot but it doesn't seem to be based by any facts or reality .

How do we know illegals are causing LESS crime than legal citizens if these sanctuary cities aren't even keeping track of who is illegal or legal when they catch a criminal ?

Also is this just a case of liberals lumping together illegal immigrants with legal ones ?
Do you have some alternative facts to present or do you think law enforcement from local to federal level is involved in a conspiracy?

Let's be honest, you need higher crime to justify your views.

Old 02-10-2017, 06:34 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
Nope. Those are the ones who should be gone...but only after a suitable time in prison. It is the law abiding mother of 2 in Phoenix who should not be deported.
In L.A the protestors were saying it was racist that the illegals with criminal records got picked up by ICE.
They blocked the 101 freeway and the police did nothing.
The politicians were saying they were outraged about it and they demanded answers.

None of this makes liberals look reasonable or rational and shows they don't care about public safety.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies