Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Take them down or leave them up?
Take them down. They're offensive. 133 36.14%
Leave them up. It's history. 235 63.86%
Voters: 368. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 06:13 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,930,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Historically, there has been much hard-headedness in the South. The South came out of the slave system kicking and screaming. The South could not live with the fact that it had been defeated in the war.

Robert E. Lee died in 1870. Statues and tributes toward Robert E. Lee did not begin in earnest until the 1880s, during the early stages of Jim Crow fittingly. Stubbornness and stupidity are not the same thing. Very often they go together.

In this case, I don't think those who were honoring Robert E. Lee and other Confederates back in the 1880s were playing dumb. It had been 20 years since the defeat of the Confederates. Still much fresh anger at being defeated and vanquished. We all know that the Southern states wanted to be a nation specifically for the purpose of keeping their slave-owning, bigoted way of life. Stuff like states' rights revolved around that. Reconstruction was too much of a bitter pill for many in the South to swallow.

Right after Reconstruction, the Jim Crow laws came into effect. Soon after, Confederate statues were erected. Tributes for the Confederates were spiking. It was a way of bolstering the Confederate mindset, which is what the Jim Crow mindset is based on. The Confederate monuments were an embodiment of the South trying to re-establish a bigoted social order. In addition, the anger towards Blacks, as well as the government in DC also meant a revenge factor.

The South came out of the slavery institution kicking and screaming. It went back to the Union kicking and screaming. The South was dragged out of its Jim Crow ways kicking and screaming. Stubbornness to say the least. And here is the irony. The South has finally risen, but not as many people would consider. It has risen in the form of Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Miami, Northern Virginia, The Tidewater Area, Cape Canaveral, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc. Notice the areas that were the most heavily dependent on the plantation economy haven't truly recovered. However, the areas that quickly dispatched that, the areas that become part of the New South, or never really had much to do with the Old South are the areas that are doing the best in the South today.
& so it goes. ...

Old 06-07-2017, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Historically, there has been much hard-headedness in the South. The South came out of the slave system kicking and screaming. The South could not live with the fact that it had been defeated in the war.

Robert E. Lee died in 1870. Statues and tributes toward Robert E. Lee did not begin in earnest until the 1880s, during the early stages of Jim Crow fittingly. Stubbornness and stupidity are not the same thing. Very often they go together.

In this case, I don't think those who were honoring Robert E. Lee and other Confederates back in the 1880s were playing dumb. It had been 20 years since the defeat of the Confederates. Still much fresh anger at being defeated and vanquished. We all know that the Southern states wanted to be a nation specifically for the purpose of keeping their slave-owning, bigoted way of life. Stuff like states' rights revolved around that. Reconstruction was too much of a bitter pill for many in the South to swallow.

Right after Reconstruction, the Jim Crow laws came into effect. Soon after, Confederate statues were erected. Tributes for the Confederates were spiking. It was a way of bolstering the Confederate mindset, which is what the Jim Crow mindset is based on. The Confederate monuments were an embodiment of the South trying to re-establish a bigoted social order. In addition, the anger towards Blacks, as well as the government in DC also meant a revenge factor.

The South came out of the slavery institution kicking and screaming. It went back to the Union kicking and screaming. The South was dragged out of its Jim Crow ways kicking and screaming. Stubbornness to say the least. And here is the irony. The South has finally risen, but not as many people would consider. It has risen in the form of Atlanta, Charlotte, Nashville, Miami, Northern Virginia, The Tidewater Area, Cape Canaveral, Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, Cary, etc. Notice the areas that were the most heavily dependent on the plantation economy haven't truly recovered. However, the areas that quickly dispatched that, the areas that become part of the New South, or never really had much to do with the Old South are the areas that are doing the best in the South today.
Re: bold: just adding this link to support:

Quote:
There were two major periods in which the dedication of Confederate monuments and other symbols spiked — the first two decades of the 20th century and during the civil rights movement. ...

There has been a steady stream of dedications in the 150 years since that time.

But two distinct periods saw a significant rise in the dedication of monuments and other symbols.

The first began around 1900, amid the period in which states were enacting Jim Crow laws to disenfranchise the newly freed African Americans and re-segregate society. This spike lasted well into the 1920s, a period that saw a dramatic resurgence of the Ku Klux Klan, which had been born in the immediate aftermath of the Civil War.

The second spike began in the early 1950s and lasted through the 1960s, as the civil rights movement led to a backlash among segregationists. These two periods also coincided with the 50th and 100th anniversaries of the Civil War. ...
Additional findings & map here:
Whose Heritage? Public Symbols of the Confederacy
https://www.splcenter.org/20160421/w...ls-confederacy

What do you make of the '3rd Spike'? Not necessarily in the building of new memorials to honor the Confederacy (although that's happening too), more asking about defending the Confederacy in the present day.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:48 AM

73,048 posts, read 62,646,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
& so it goes. ...
It shows quite a pattern. The southern states were okay to continue practices that shouldn't have continued, and it took outside force for such things to stop. It also shows how polarized society can be in the South.

Old 06-07-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Re: bold: just adding this link to support:

Additional findings & map here:
Whose Heritage? Public Symbols of the Confederacy
https://www.splcenter.org/20160421/w...ls-confederacy

What do you make of the '3rd Spike'? Not necessarily in the building of new memorials to honor the Confederacy (although that's happening too), more asking about defending the Confederacy in the present day.
Thank you. This further confirms what has been said. I was trying to look for some to confirm things.

This is my opinion of the 3rd spike. The South has been dragged out of its dark ages, but not without a fight. It is a further continuation of being stubborn. I am also seeing non-southerners trying to defend the Confederacy. It's a matter of "I want to be able to be vulgar and bigoted and there be nothing wrong with it". It is about "I know what I'm doing is offensive. I want to do it because I hate those who are offended by the Confederacy. I don't care how right those persons are, or if them being offended is reasonable. I am offended that they are offended, so here's a big middle finger to them".

The old ways can't come back. However, there are some who are still stuck in that mentality.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:36 PM

Another one bites(or going to bite) the dust.

St. Louis begins process to remove Confederate monument from Forest Park | FOX2now.com

Old 06-07-2017, 06:58 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,771,580 times
My question still hasn't been answered. What is the end goal? Will removing all the states and renaming anything that carries a Confederate name be enough? If not, what else? Do the Confederate cemeteries have to be destroyed? Do museums that have a Confederate theme have to close? Do museums that merely have a Confederate display have to remove it? Do plantation houses have to be torn down? After all traces of Confederates have been removed, will the same then occur for anything to do with slave owners? What is the end goal that will make the black community happy? This is a serious question.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Thank you. This further confirms what has been said. I was trying to look for some to confirm things.

This is my opinion of the 3rd spike. The South has been dragged out of its dark ages, but not without a fight. It is a further continuation of being stubborn. I am also seeing non-southerners trying to defend the Confederacy. It's a matter of "I want to be able to be vulgar and bigoted and there be nothing wrong with it". It is about "I know what I'm doing is offensive. I want to do it because I hate those who are offended by the Confederacy. I don't care how right those persons are, or if them being offended is reasonable. I am offended that they are offended, so here's a big middle finger to them".

The old ways can't come back. However, there are some who are still stuck in that mentality.
I think there will be several main factors which corroborate the '3rd Spike' of protests & rallies related to the defense of the Confederacy. The mass shooting that took place at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston, SC on June 17, 2015 will be one. The elections of both Barack Obama & Donald Trump is another.

It's worth noting the '3rd Spike' of protests & rallies are in defense of the Confederacy itself & have nothing to do with Confederate cemeteries, etc.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Sounds good to me.

This one, apparently, is still going up?

Quote:
The Confederate Memorial of the Wind is a planned memorial to the Confederate States of America and the Texas regiments of the Confederate Army. It began construction on private land in 2013 in Orange, Texas, near the Beaumont–Port Arthur metropolitan area. ...
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conf...al_of_the_Wind

Old 06-08-2017, 07:15 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,265,780 times
And just to add to the confusion.

Kay Ivey, Alabama governor, signs law protecting Confederate monuments from removal - Washington Times

Old 06-08-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Well, that is one state I don't have any respect for. I never want to live there. In fact, many of its educated move to Atlanta, in Georgia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies