Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2017, 01:28 PM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Drug addiction is a mental health problem. A national health care system and a strong public safety net would help tremendously. But Trump seems to be more concerned about tax breaks for the donor class and propping up big pharma and the military industrial complex. The American people suffer as a result.

Not really-well not all- I was offered oxy and other pain killers after surgery etc.. I have a weak tummy- so I spit them out, to put it mildly- but if not~~~ who knows what world I be living in--
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2017, 01:29 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,034,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Ok I'll be the bad guy and say it. It is self inflicted. It is a choice they make. Darwin scores a huge win and we as a species are better for it. Anyone dumb enough to do meth deserves what follows. Anyone dumb enough to mix meth with anything else absolutely deserves the death that awaits them. It is self inflicted.
I agree 100%. Let 'em go. It's much better than tax payers having to support their sorry butts the rest of their pathetic lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Drug addiction is a mental health problem. A national health care system and a strong public safety net would help tremendously. But Trump seems to be more concerned about tax breaks for the donor class and propping up big pharma and the military industrial complex. The American people suffer as a result.
Dumbest post today. Trump has been in office less than 90 days and suddenly, he is the reason for addle-headed addicts.

Thank God for brains. Too bad some folks didn't get any.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:30 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
And of course, tRumpcare decimates the addiction services that are needed in states that voted his way...Ohio, Maine, WVA.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.af0783622b18

But those cuts are justified. Trump needs to redirect those drug treatment funds to pay for more taxcuts for his billionaire buddies who are addicted to money.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:36 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,797,202 times
Quote:
Ok I'll be the bad guy and say it. It is self inflicted. It is a choice they make. Darwin scores a huge win and we as a species are better for it. Anyone dumb enough to do meth deserves what follows. Anyone dumb enough to mix meth with anything else absolutely deserves the death that awaits them. It is self inflicted.
Can't go so far as to say, they deserve it but I know what you are saying. I just do not understand how so many can get addicted to drugs and or mix them. Too many people have been raised to think life is a breeze and when things don't go their way, they sink. Much has to do with not being taught to accept life and to not expect everything to go your way.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:48 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
So a huge portion of Ohio deserves to die because Darwin? Seems unduly harsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Well, we all know that liberals oppose "draconian consequences", but there has to be an incentive, strong one to give up an addiction. I have read on addiction, most do not give them up or simply switch to something else. Not sure what drives these people. The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.

Pretty much an opiate addict is a dead man/woman walking, meth too from what I have seen and heard. It isn't like these people don't understand what these drugs do. Perhaps their real issue is mental illness which could be treated. If they are just stupid...........

I thought Kasich said he was doing a great job as governor there and everyone was like in hog heaven. Guess not.
The poster above you says one of the drugs they are overdosing on is an tranquilizer for very large animals. It is doubtful a wall is going to stop someone from finding a drug if they are determined to get creative. I don't know what the secret is but this seems to be an epidemic of hopelessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
cutting people off of their painkillers - which was largely done in 2013-14 after hydrocodone was reclassified as a stronger controlled substance - turned out to completely backfire and it's created this monster of heroin/fentanyl

This is exactly what has happened -and big pharma is to blame- but who will make them accountable-- NOBODY
Completely agree. I also think there should be a way for these people to clear their records. Once they have a felony, their lives are forever changed and I think that contributes to the hopelessness.

Old 03-15-2017, 01:58 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,725,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I'd like to see free drug rehab, free mental health treatment, free implantable birth control and condoms, and less welfare, no school access for anyone here illegally, and no public aid for illegal aliens or legal immigrants not here for at least 5 yrs. I'd like foreign aid cut off or reduced by half. Those measures should pay for drug treatment, mental health treatment and bc.
Our priorities are screwed up.
Make pot legal and tax it like cigs and alcohol and you could fund the above.
Don't agree with everything but I cannot deny that taxing marijuana has been lucrative for the states that legalized it. I live in Washington state and we have seen a quarter BILLION dollars in tax revenue from marijuana. If Congress had a clue they would legalize it nationally and pass a federal tax on it. Although - maybe that would take some of the tax revenue from my state so maybe not. I have no interest in marijuana but think prison for it is stupid. And I do think we need treatment centers for opioids and a path for them because this whole thing started from prescribed medication that was even sold in high schools, it's become a catastrophe.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:08 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,428,613 times
Quote:
Well, we all know that liberals oppose "draconian consequences", but there has to be an incentive, strong one to give up an addiction.
Well, death seems pretty draconian but that possibility doesn't seem to stop addiction so I see your statement as little more than a lame, whiny, conservative 'liberals this, liberals that' load unsupported by anything factual.

Perhaps you're confusing draconian with asinine like the idea that some's sexula orientation can be changed by 'therapy'?

Quote:
I have read on addiction, most do not give them up or simply switch to something else. Not sure what drives these people. The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.
And what about the fact that many addicts are created by the over-prescribing of legal drugs? What's going to stop that? Certainly not the BigPharma lobby and their bought and paid for politicians.

Last edited by burdell; 03-15-2017 at 02:37 PM..

Old 03-15-2017, 02:34 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Well, we all know that liberals oppose "draconian consequences", but there has to be an incentive, strong one to give up an addiction. I have read on addiction, most do not give them up or simply switch to something else. Not sure what drives these people. The Wall combined with electronic surveillance and more manpower would help slow illegal drugs from coming into the country.

Pretty much an opiate addict is a dead man/woman walking, meth too from what I have seen and heard. It isn't like these people don't understand what these drugs do. Perhaps their real issue is mental illness which could be treated. If they are just stupid...........

I thought Kasich said he was doing a great job as governor there and everyone was like in hog heaven. Guess not.
That people choose to use opiates/opioids and other crap for recreational purposes is not a reflection on any state governor/ mayor.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:
I have yet to meet an addict who intended to become addicted.

There's a serious level of magical thinking go on.

Old 03-15-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
cutting people off of their painkillers - which was largely done in 2013-14 after hydrocodone was reclassified as a stronger controlled substance - turned out to completely backfire and it's created this monster of heroin/fentanyl

This is exactly what has happened -and big pharma is to blame- but who will make them accountable-- NOBODY
More Opioid Scripts than people in Tn:

There are more opioid prescriptions than people in Tennessee

9 million painkillers shipped to Kermit, West Va. population 400

9 million painkillers shipped to tiny West Virginia town | MSNBC

Some MDs and small town pharmacies are complicit, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies