Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2017, 01:04 PM

13,608 posts, read 21,402,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
It's awful. Until we have an actual CURE for addictions, or thing things that drive people to it, we can't do much but try to save those who OD. If no cure is ever found then even that will begin to make little sense since few people want to make their career keeping addicts alive to OD another day.
Not always but many addicts have had a horrible childhood who had crap parents or no parents who have developed mental instability due to believing they are worthless and unloved who would rather risk death from drugs to try to hide the mental pain.

Sometimes there is a person who becomes addict even though they came from a good supportive background with caring family but more often than not its the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2017, 01:07 PM

12,883 posts, read 14,001,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Drug addiction is a mental health problem. A national health care system and a strong public safety net would help tremendously. But Trump seems to be more concerned about tax breaks for the donor class and propping up big pharma and the military industrial complex. The American people suffer as a result.
How would it help? People with addictions need to want help, people with many treatable mental illnesses do. Having a national health care system won't magically make them want to get help and kick the addiction and be productive, normal members of society.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM

19,655 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
How ? One makes a choice to try them don't they ? One makes the choice to keep taking them knowing full well what the outcome is. I've been prescribed Norco a couple of times in my lifetime and knew, every time I took one I was one step closer to becoming addicted to it. The last time I had it was due to a surgery, and was prescribed 7 days worth. I took them for 3 and was done.
Did you feel like you could become addicted? Not everyone does.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM

8,312 posts, read 3,933,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
[/b]
no- there are people who take taken crack once and became addicted- one who has taken a drink once and never stopped - do not ask me to explain why that is, some tolerate better than others and some with a support system/ help- can get out of the addiction- some just die. Whatever makes the difference, there is not enough there to pull out. Choice, is when you can just stop- that is not a reality for many - you always think one can just do as they please- - be glad you can - but that is the far and few. I cannot stand it when others put people down because they have overcome and are strong people- and think the rest is less of a person because they cannot.
We need facilities for these people to get it right --if possible-for free- and from the looks of it- they will be cutting the funding for that with trumpcare-- so the problem is not going away with a wall
Have to agree with you on this one. Like anything else this is not black and white. Sure, someone has to choose to start using at some point; maybe you can argue that they "had a choice". But I defy anyone to tell me that they never had a lapse of judgment at some point in their lives, sorry, I don't buy it. The problem is for some people, once they have had a dose, they are an addict forever, it's not because of some inherent flaw, it's just the luck of the draw.

Our culture is producing addicts at a much greater rate than before - that's also a reality. Why is that?

https://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/da...ic-in-9-graphs

Deaths associated w Heroin.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:14 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
here is a question for all of you saying blame the person they are just stupid and they should have known better and it is Darwin weeding out the riff raff...

Did you grow up in a abusive household or had parents that were drug addicts and you were just smart and strong enough to reject drug abuse?

Did you grow up in a foster home unwanted and subjected to guardians who often cared little about you and was more concerned about the money gained by fostering?

Did you grow up in a slum surrounded by drug abuse and were strong enough to reject your environment?

Was your mother or father a drug addict who loved and cared for you no matter what who would have never pimped you out to feed their habit or purposely introduce you to addiction ?

fact is you don't know until you have walked in someone's shoes.........or at least listened to them..

And other than being born already addicted, or being forced to take drugs , every one of these cases someone had to make a choice to turn to them.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:17 PM

29,511 posts, read 14,673,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
Did you feel like you could become addicted? Not everyone does.

Coming from a long line of alcoholics , although not my parents , and having been a binge drinker thru my 20's and 30's yes, I feel I could have those tendencies. So , that makes me just that much more aware and cautious.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM

7,826 posts, read 4,571,164 times
Follow the money​. The nanosecond big Pharma gets cut off from selling highly profitable additive pain meds is when they'll start producing a safer product. Right now there's no motivation to do otherwise.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
here is a question for all of you saying blame the person they are just stupid and they should have known better and it is Darwin weeding out the riff raff...

Did you grow up in a abusive household or had parents that were drug addicts and you were just smart and strong enough to reject drug abuse?

Did you grow up in a foster home unwanted and subjected to guardians who often cared little about you and was more concerned about the money gained by fostering?

Did you grow up in a slum surrounded by drug abuse and were strong enough to reject your environment?

Was your mother or father a drug addict who loved and cared for you no matter what who would have never pimped you out to feed their habit or purposely introduce you to addiction ?

fact is you don't know until you have walked in someone's shoes.........or at least listened to them..
There are a lot of people who can answer yes to a lot of those questions and they have never engaged in any addictive behavior.

My sister and I both endured physical, emotional and psychological abuse as children for years. NOBODY interceded to help us. We did not turn into addicts. We both made a commitment NOT TO ABUSE our children in any way. It's very hard to do

What we need to do, as a nation, is teach life skills to our children. We need to teach them how to cope in life. I'm talking 45 minutes every day from K-12.

Last edited by EDnurse; 03-16-2017 at 01:31 PM..

Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM

1,850 posts, read 1,139,869 times
Well if Donald Trump has his way another boatload of cocaine could very well find it's way into the streets ....[/quote]

More likely all three of the angels would be shark food.

Old 03-16-2017, 01:33 PM

7,184 posts, read 4,771,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
Follow the money​. The nanosecond big Pharma gets cut off from selling highly profitable additive pain meds is when they'll start producing a safer product. Right now there's no motivation to do otherwise.
They already came up with a medication to relieve "opioid induced" constipation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies