Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,222,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
It's not as rare as you might think.

Pastor calls swanky $1.7 million mansion a

I think a tiered system might be a good idea. You would then have to decide however what an acceptable salary is for the pastor of a megachurch. It should be done though.

The hate churches could be weeded out simply by enforcing the Johnson Amendment. Churches should never be able to endorse or host political candidates and keep their tax exempt status. They also shouldn't be able to preach messages like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2839yEazcs
I remark on 65 million dollar jet and you use an expensive house to show it's common.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 11:42 PM

Quote:
I know there are good churches which is why I don't think tax exempt status should be ended for all churches. However, those that abuse it should lose it.
That is the argument used to end nearly every government program.

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Nothing screams wise priorities when there is a call to investigate a handful of churches that might waste a few million dollars people CHOSE to give them while the government wastes hundreds of billions of dollars people are FORCED to give them.
Hey, good point. Not going to argue that. But I think zealots on the other side of the aisle just want to bring down churches regardless. They just think the whole concept of a church is a scam since they do not believe in God anyways.

I swear sometimes I think that a left wing revolution is happening under our noses without firing a single shot. The same targets just different methods. The same zeal to do away with them.

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I remark on 65 million dollar jet and you use an expensive house to show it's common.
It's the same principle.

There is no reason for the pastor of a church to live in that kind of a mansion. The fact the pastor can afford it shows that church should be investigated. Of course they have the right to do it, but they should have to pay taxes.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:44 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
That is the argument used to end nearly every government program.
The church tax exemption is essentially a government program. It's a government subsidization of religion. I do understand its merit as churches do a lot of good in society, but there are also those that abuse the system.

When it comes to other government programs I think they should be ended for those that abuse them, but left completely intact for everyone else.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:45 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
It's not as rare as you might think.

Pastor calls swanky $1.7 million mansion a

I think a tiered system might be a good idea. You would then have to decide however what an acceptable salary is for the pastor of a megachurch. It should be done though.

The hate churches could be weeded out simply by enforcing the Johnson Amendment. Churches should never be able to endorse or host political candidates and keep their tax exempt status. They also shouldn't be able to preach messages like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2839yEazcs
If he made the money from writing books and doing paid speaking engagements, what difference does it make.

How much money is he tithing? He could be tithing 25% for all you know.

You don't have to take a vow of poverty to be a minister or get into Heaven.

Now, if it was from church funds or a ridiculous church salary, that is another matter.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:47 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
The church tax exemption is essentially a government program. It's a government subsidization of religion. I do understand its merit as churches do a lot of good in society, but there are also those that abuse the system.

When it comes to other government programs I think they should be ended for those that abuse them, but left completely intact for everyone else.
The money was already taxed before it was given as a gift to the church.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:50 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,015,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
If he made the money from writing books and doing paid speaking engagements, what difference does it make.

How much money is he tithing? He could be tithing 25% for all you know.

You don't have to take a vow of poverty to be a minister or get into Heaven.

Now, if it was from church funds or a ridiculous church salary, that is another matter.
Many pastors also sell books, tapes, movies, and all sorts of merchandise as well. They could take that money and invest it into other stuff too. I mean how do these people not know that pastors do other things besides preach?

Many of the best pastors that are known in the Christian community to not be hucksters and have never been found to be foul playing their flock are probably pretty wealthy due to their extensive sales of books and other merchandise. For all we know they could be giving 50% of their money back to the church.

Again, this is just a crusade against churches. If it were up to them there'd be no tax exempt for any church.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 PM

Quote:

No one is being subsidized. A church is a non profit just like any other non profit. If a for profit business makes no profit, there is no tax then either.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Many pastors also sell books, tapes, movies, and all sorts of merchandise as well. They could take that money and invest it into other stuff too. I mean how do these people not know that pastors do other things besides preach?
That is taxable income. A pastors income is taxed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies