Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times

Advertisements

I am not talking about any church that preaches against homosexuality. We have freedom of religion in this country and people should have the right to believe that its a sin. What I am talking about are the churches that are legitimate hate groups. Churches like Westboro or Steven Anderson's church in Arizona. I am thinking of churches like Kevin Swanson's church in Colorado. The kind of churches that call for homosexuals to be executed. The kind that run conversion therapy camps that abuse children. These churches are very dangerous and they are getting by tax free. At what point does a church become a malignant cult and is no longer a protected religion? I think this is a discussion that needs to be had.

I am not for ending tax exempt status for all religion but I think hate groups should lose tax exempt status. I would also apply this to the large megachurches where the pastor lives in a mansion and drives a Mercedes. Those churches should be taxed.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2017, 10:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,287,481 times
Should be removed from all religious gathering places, regardless of belief system.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:30 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
No...from ALL churches. I don't make a difference between them.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:35 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,763,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Thoughts?
I think definitions of "excessively homophobic/racist" are political, vary widely and would be impossible to apply in a fair way to churches.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:38 PM

7,788 posts, read 8,032,105 times
What a great idea tax people on what they believe or feel.I thought the gov already taxed everything in our lives but hey there is still plenty left to tax if you just look.

Old 03-20-2017, 10:53 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,212,760 times
Be careful about what you wish for.

The tax-exempt status afforded to churches, was given on the condition that the churches wouldn't take an active role in politics. Basically, the government bribed/extorted them into silence.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/charities-churches-and-politics

If you remove tax-exempt status for churches, the churches will begin to organize politically. And they are going to be very angry.

With that said, I support removing their tax-exempt status.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:14 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
When pastors can ask for 65 million dollar airplanes and get them, it's time to drop the hammer on 'em.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:16 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The tax-exempt status afforded to churches, was given on the condition that the churches wouldn't take an active role in politics. Basically, the government bribed/extorted them into silence.

If you remove tax-exempt status for churches, the churches will begin to organize politically. And they are going to be very angry.

Very good point.

Remove the tax exempt status and rally the troops.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:17 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,627,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
When pastors can ask for 65 million dollar airplanes and get them, it's time to drop the hammer on 'em.
It's like a couple of them think they are politicians.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,817,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redshadowz View Post

The churches that would make this list are already pretty political and maybe could lose their status under the Johnson Amendment if they would actually enforce it. They obviously have never enforced it because we could never have made it here in this country if it would have been. Today, conservative Christianity and Republican politics are virtually one and the same.

What you say though is one reason I don't say remove it for all churches. Removing it from the most extreme churches is a way to put a stamp of disapproval on those churches and help combat homophobia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies