Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:26 AM

79,914 posts, read 44,174,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Nonsense. The Church was pivotal in the Civil Rights Movement NOT because of dogma, but because it was the only place in the South where black people could legally congregate without having the meetings being busted up by white authorities.
Not true either. You are on a roll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times
Quote:
Nonsense. The Church was pivotal in the Civil Rights Movement NOT because of dogma, but because it was the only place in the South where black people could legally congregate without having the meetings being busted up by white authorities. Black folks had nothing else but the church. If we had any other legitimate institutions, we wouldn't have had to rely so much on the church as an organizing force.

Why should they dump it? Because it's no longer any good nor is it particularly useful for anything but collecting millions of dollars from people who can hardly afford to give it. That's why. And yeah...because of "some hucksters like Creflo Dollar." And Creflo Dollar is one of a bazillion religious hucksters in the black community. Time for black folks to throw off that superstition that was taught them to keep them docile through slavery. It would be fine if it were cheaper, but this particular superstition is too damn expensive and unaffordable.

And the tithes "proly" go back to the community in many forms that help the black community?

I'm just gonna pay that silly comment no mind. Hell, you don't even believe that tripe.
Clearly you're starting from the assumption that all churches are scams because God doesn't exist. So no matter what a church does that's positive it's still not helpful because you still see it as negative force in the black community whether it be a small, poorer church with a devoted flock and a humble pastor, or a huckster like Creflo.

And why do you only care about "your people"? Why be exclusive in your sympathy? White people get huckstered by religious frauds too.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
What about Rev. Al Sharpton and Rev. Jesse Jackson? And Jeremiah Wright?
What about them? And what does Jeremiah Wright have to do with anything? For that matter, Sharpton or Jackson too. What do you want me to say about them in particular?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Exactly, the pastors risked their lives.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:31 AM

Quote:
What about them? And what does Jeremiah Wright have to do with anything? For that matter, Sharpton or Jackson too. What do you want me to say about them in particular?
Are they hucksters too?

Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Really? Give me an example of other black institutions that African Americans could use to congregate UNFETTERED by white authorities? The Kiwanis club?

In fact, the black church wasn't always exempt either as the bombing of the church in Birmingham proves. But it was still the best thing going.

Still, the black church has had its day. More and more black folks are seeing the light although not nearly enough for my taste.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Exactly, the pastors risked their lives.
Every day African Americans risked their lives. So what? When Bull Connor turned those hoses and dogs on those crowds, did he pick out only the pastors for abuse?

Use your head. You don't know what you're talking about.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Really? Give me an example of other black institutions that African Americans could use to congregate UNFETTERED by white authorities? The Kiwanis club?

In fact, the black church wasn't always exempt either as the bombing of the church in Birmingham proves. But it was still the best thing going.

Still, the black church has had its day. More and more black folks are seeing the light although not nearly enough for my taste.
Didn't you just undermine your own point right there? Churches still felt the sting of Jim Crow.

Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I am not talking about any church that preaches against homosexuality. We have freedom of religion in this country and people should have the right to believe that its a sin. What I am talking about are the churches that are legitimate hate groups. Churches like Westboro or Steven Anderson's church in Arizona. I am thinking of churches like Kevin Swanson's church in Colorado. The kind of churches that call for homosexuals to be executed. The kind that run conversion therapy camps that abuse children. These churches are very dangerous and they are getting by tax free. At what point does a church become a malignant cult and is no longer a protected religion? I think this is a discussion that needs to be had.

I am not for ending tax exempt status for all religion but I think hate groups should lose tax exempt status. I would also apply this to the large megachurches where the pastor lives in a mansion and drives a Mercedes. Those churches should be taxed.

Thoughts?
First, just how would you make the cut between what religion or church deserves which or what benefits of no taxation? If you start imposing any sort of litmus test it surely will lead to much litigation that surely will end up at the SCOTUS.

The IRS already has pretty tight standards when it comes to religious organizations and tax-exempt status.

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...-organizations

https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...-organizations

Being as all this may, there is a movement afoot to address some of your concerns:

Opinion: Johnson Amendment should be repealed, promotes entanglement of church and state | The Daily Reveille | lsunow.com

Potential Changes for Churches and Charities Regarding Political Campaigning - Lexology

The Johnson Amendment: What

Old 03-21-2017, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Every day African Americans risked their lives. So what? When Bull Connor turned those hoses and dogs on those crowds, did he pick out only the pastors for abuse?

Use your head. You don't know what you're talking about.
But you're acting as though the Church was always this huckster force sucking the life out of the black community, contributing nothing. The Church was there during slavery, there during the Civil Rights struggle, with pastors you call hucksters risking their life as much as anyone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies