Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2017, 03:12 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
Wouldn't it? Even just a little understanding for the 200,000 or so people who've gotten ill advice or injured by a medical professional every year. Some who's lost their parent, sibling or worse their child to a medical error. We've all experienced it, or known someone who had. That is how bad it's gotten. It's a wonder more hasn't been done. But you don't have to wonder why more and more people are going to natural ways of trying to cure themselves. Preventive measures trying to preserve their health so that they can go less.
If you can't beat em, join em. Most trusted professions:
1. Nurses
2. Pharmacists
3. Medical Doctors
4. Engineers
5. Dentists
Pharmacists Remain Among Most Trusted Professions

Only in your mind, Tokinouta, yours, MissTerri's and Jo48's.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:12 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
You don't know who Archimedes is? Google him.
I did. I have no idea why you want people to call you that.

Quote:
Here is the "Urban Dictionary" definition of "Dog Whistle". Urban Dictionary: dog whistle This is used a lot in politics. See the example in the definition. "Neighborhood Schools" usually means opposition to school integration. "Safe vaccines" means "I'm anti-vaccine".

Are you being deliberately obtuse about what I said about name calling? Calling providers names, e.g. "shill", "baby killer", "fear-mongerer", "bully", is in fact name calling!

Do you feel it is your "right" to know every little detail about every medical procedure you might ever have? When I had my hip surgery, I did not get, nor did I feel the need for, information about who made my implant, how it was manufactured, what materials it was made of, etc. Nor did I receive nor want information about what kind of anesthetic I had and what ingredients were in it (probably way worse than anything in vaccines!). Ditto when my husband had his cataract surgeries, he did not get information about any of that stuff, nor when he had his emergency cancer surgery. When my daughter had her cancer surgery, we did not get a whole sh*t-ton of information either. The consent we signed was a 3-4 sentences. A VIS has way more information.

Jill Stein Thinks There Are 'Real Questions' About Vaccine Safety, in Case You Were Voting Green
Jill Stein Says It's 'Ridiculous' to Say She's Anti-Vaccination
"Instead, though, she (Stein) somehow managed to very neatly echo the precise line used by anti-vaccination activists: that they’re not anti-vaccine, per se, but only want more study. More testing. More questions answered. Not anti-vax, as Jenny McCarthy put it, “but pro-safe vaccines.” "
Robert De Niro Joins Robert Kennedy Jr. On Panel Questioning Safety Of Vaccines | The Huffington Post
"While onstage, Kennedy said that vaccines have “caused the autism epidemic” and blamed journalists and the government for hiding the real truth about vaccine safety, according to Vox.

Kennedy reportedly spoke for 20 minutes about the dangers of vaccines, using a slew of studies he claimed proved his beliefs. According to the Washington Post, the environmental activist claims he is not anti-vax, but instead, in favor of “safe vaccines.” "

We know.
A lot of strange assumptions about people all because they made different choices then you.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:13 PM

37,110 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Archimedes?

I find a lot of these assumptions to be quite strange. I've never heard the "dog whistle" term before. I've seen plenty of name calling on both sides if the issue.

I disagree that there is any intended negative intent in calling someone who gives vaccines a "provider" and I think it's a major leap to take that to assume that those who call people providers are really calling them "shills". Shills are people who are paid to sway public opinion (usually online) in favor or against something all the while pretending to just be a regular old concerned individual. People who give vaccines are doing their job. They are not shills.

Informed consent means that people have the right to be informed about the medication or vaccination including ingredients and side effects that they are being offered and they have the right to refuse if they so choose to. It's not a secret "anti-vaxer" code word for something else. Nor does it imply that the medical provider did not give them the info they wanted or asked for. It just means that people have the right to refuse based on the information about the medicine, vaccine, surgery, etc.

Choice means choice. When someone uses that word it absolutely does not mean that someone chooses to opt out of all. Some do but many others don't.

People do have the right to refuse any or all vaccines. Most states allow exemptions for school. Adults can refuse vaccinations for themselves unless they have a job requirement. Some people (myself included) do want to protect this right to choose.

I'm still confused by the "dog whistles" term. Where did you hear this term? I'm actually confused by much of this post. It makes a lot of assumptions about any individual who dares to question any vaccine.
It's good to know that you do not consider people who give vaccines to be shills. However, I do have to say that it is common, even here, for those of us - including me - who advocate for vaccines to be accused of being shills, and it is a common anti-vax tactic. It has happened in this very thread. Physicians do object to being called "providers" because it demeans their skills. It makes them sound like nothing more than retail store clerks.

As far as the "dog whistles" are concerned I think Kat made it very clear what she meant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

Examples here. Yes, it's a blog from that pro-vax doctor you do not like.

“Dr. Bob” Sears: Perfecting the art of the antivaccine dog whistle – Respectful Insolence

Here's one example. There are more at the link.

"He’s ["Dr. Bob" Sears] actually fairly clever here, but he might be too clever by half. He’s saying that vaccines work, in the hopes that those supporting science-based medicine will take him seriously and think that perhaps he’s not an antivaccinationist after all. At the same time, he’s casting doubt on the efficacy of vaccines by emphasizing the shortcomings of certain vaccines. It’s basically an antivaccine dog whistle, a notice to his antivaccine patients that he’s really one of them, regardless of what he said earlier in his post."

Old 04-09-2017, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Please quit posting about this here or I will report you for being off topic. This has nothing to do with vaccines. You are highjacking the thread!
His or her posts are very much on topic.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
If you can't beat em, join em. Most trusted professions:
1. Nurses
2. Pharmacists
3. Medical Doctors
4. Engineers
5. Dentists

What is up with this comment?

Old 04-09-2017, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
That's rich since nothing you've been talking about has anything to do with the polarization of vaccine debates which is the topic.
I guess you wouldn't recognize when someone on this thread comes on to talk about the topic of it since the topics been lost since page one.

My post illustrates the reason there are a growing number of the anti vax. More people are losing their trust in the medical profession and pharma.
1. Nurses
2. Pharmacists
3. Medical Doctors
4. Engineers
5. Dentists

Quote:
I did. I have no idea why you want people to call you that.

A lot of strange assumptions about people all because they made different choices then you.
I don't think you know anything about Archimedes or you'd get the reference.

More name-calling: "strange".

Old 04-09-2017, 03:18 PM

Quote:
What is up with this comment?
While Tokinouta goes on and on about the loss of confidence in health professionals, they're voted the most trused professionals in the US.

It shouldn't take a rocket scientist, as the saying goes.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It's good to know that you do not consider people who give vaccines to be shills. However, I do have to say that it is common, even here, for those of us - including me - who advocate for vaccines to be accused of being shills, and it is a common anti-vax tactic. It has happened in this very thread. Physicians do object to being called "providers" because it demeans their skills. It makes them sound like nothing more than retail store clerks.

As far as the "dog whistles" are concerned I think Kat made it very clear what she meant.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog-whistle_politics

Examples here. Yes, it's a blog from that pro-vax doctor you do not like.

“Dr. Bob” Sears: Perfecting the art of the antivaccine dog whistle – Respectful Insolence

Here's one example. There are more at the link.

"He’s ["Dr. Bob" Sears] actually fairly clever here, but he might be too clever by half. He’s saying that vaccines work, in the hopes that those supporting science-based medicine will take him seriously and think that perhaps he’s not an antivaccinationist after all. At the same time, he’s casting doubt on the efficacy of vaccines by emphasizing the shortcomings of certain vaccines. It’s basically an antivaccine dog whistle, a notice to his antivaccine patients that he’s really one of them, regardless of what he said earlier in his post."
I think that the "anti-vaxer" hate blogs (the one you linked is a big one) and the "anti-vaxer" hate groups on Facebook are clouding people's vision and making people think of "anti-vaxers" as beneath them and as sub-human. It reinforces stereotypes and creates so much hatred and division. It seems like it is creating paranoia. I find it sad.

Old 04-09-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think you know anything about Archimedes or you'd get the reference.

More name-calling: "strange".

Old 04-09-2017, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I think that the "anti-vaxer" hate blogs (the one you linked is a big one) and the "anti-vaxer" hate groups on Facebook are clouding people's vision and making people think of "anti-vaxers" as beneath them and as sub-human. It reinforces stereotypes and creates so much hatred and division. I find it sad.
You know what I find sad? All the anti-vaccine blogs and pro-vaccine hate groups on Facebook. They deal in "alternative facts" and clouding people's vision and making people think of "pro-vaxers" as beneath them and subhuman. It reinforces stereotypes and creates so much hatred and division. I find it disgusting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies