Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2017, 07:53 AM

727 posts, read 390,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoOnMyMind View Post
I think the message is clear, we're done playing games. As long as we don't get sucked into another long term conflict with nation building and Us troops getting blown up in the Middle East I'm ok with giving ISIS bombs.
Please tell me we didn't just stir up the hornet's nest, big time.

ISIS and the other Middle East terrorist groups are like the Japanese in WWII. They would rather die than give up. But the vast majority of Japanese lived in one place and had one leader. So we dropped a couple of nukes and thought that would be the end of it. Yet it still took a while before they finally surrendered.

With the ME terrorists, they are everywhere and they have multiple leaders. Take one leader out and another surfaces, like teeth on a shark. We can't pinpoint one target and make them surrender. We'd have to blow up half of the ME and Europe and take down the Internet and cellphones worldwide.

Dropping MOABs everywhere will only firm their resolve and provide incentive for more to join them. We gotta come up with something better.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The reason that is, is because the people started getting real upset over the dead bodies returning home and people asking "why"? and no one is able to answer that question. I've asked it a countless number of times and those I ask simply ignore it.

We have no interests over there. When the bodies start piling up the people are going to march again. It's already starting. GOP Congressmen are afraid to meet with their constituents. They are hiding from them. This is not going to bode well for the next election.

Republicans try to tame their rowdy town halls | TheHill
How long do we Americans stand by while these bullies grow in strength and terrorize more and more people every day? Are you for complete isolationism? Would really screw with the world economy. I mean if you want a lot more Americans going back to the farm and shutting down most trade it is doable. But life would be much different.

I am for securing our borders, stopping the drug trade and cracking down on crime severely here at home. I'm for protecting American jobs. But I don't know if I'm for allowing NK, Iran and others to have nuclear weapons and a free hand in the world.

Unless you trust Russia and China to do the job?

Old 04-14-2017, 07:54 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,886,902 times
We should of used a B52H to really intimidate the Issa. We spread fear in the Iraqi Army when we dropped Iron Bombs on their position.

Nothing like a Trio of B52 to send a reach out and touch message!

Watch B-52 bomber pulverising ISIS positions as giant warplane - Mirror

Mirror Online: The intelligent tabloid. #madeuthink › News › World news › ISIS
Apr 21, 2016 - Steve Warren, a spokesman for the US coalition in Syria and Iraq, said the B-52 ... B-52 Stratofortress drops its first bombs on the Islamic State.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
How long do we Americans stand by while these bullies grow in strength and terrorize more and more people every day?
We are terrorizing far more people than they could even dream of doing.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:11 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
36 bad guys killed. The cost works out to about $500,000 each.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
36 bad guys killed. The cost works out to about $500,000 each.
I bet they would have went home if we had gave them 25K each. (there is a bigger picture issue to what I just said)

Old 04-14-2017, 08:23 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,678,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post

This is sort of a sarcastic answer but It could well be true. I've never seen any interviews or videos of how the Taliban rates the US military cause chances are , if they have actually fought against them for any amount of time they are now DEAD. So I guess your not going to get anything out of them.
Remember, they had to LOWER the standards and take high school kids who didn't pass the intelligence test and/or had been in trouble.

Our soldiers (military) is ultra technical. In the end it comes down to how much it costs you to kill or hurt an enemy soldier (or their assets).

According to our own military, the number of Taliban and terrorists killed is in the 25K range. Costs so far are about 5 TRILLION dollars - and so it costs us 200K or more to take out each "terrorist". Total costs cannot be added up for generations due to the loss of good people here - and the other things we could have done with the money, etc.

The cost for MOAB and this operation was 450K per "terrorist" which does not include any more terrorists which he may have created.

I had a uber ride the other day with a fella who was ready to sign up for the infantry. He was scared. REALLY scared.

Yes, I would say a battle hardened Afghan or Foreign fighter blows away much of our current infantry and others. This is not a negative thing. Americans value life and limb and have very good lives. Afghans are going to die soon anyway (maybe at 50). We are attacking their homeland.

Looking at a similar situation - I'd say the Southern leaders, armies and soldiers in the civil were better - man for man - than the North. I'd also say the German infantry soldier beat the snot out of the American....that is, if both had the same hardware behind them. The Germans had a LOT of respect for "Tommy" - less so (but some) for the Americans.

Now - famously - Americans had incredible respect for the Japanese soldier and the Vietnamese also. Not so much for the Italians.

I can't see how American soldiers - by and large (not individuals) can possibly measure up to people who are glad to die. Americans spend much of their time and planning just to make sure they don't get hurt. That ends up driving their entire policy.

Anyway, the point stands. If we want to kill a million terrorists, it is going to cost us 200 Trillion Dollars or about the total value of the USA. We're already a long way toward that being as we can't afford to educate or provide health care for our own.

Note - my opinions about the German Soldier and the Southern Soldier are my own - based on thousands of pages of reading of history.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:24 AM

25,848 posts, read 16,532,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
We are terrorizing far more people than they could even dream of doing.
Can you just try living in the real world for a minute and answering a simple question?

Are you prepared for an uninvolved America? Are you convinced that a hands off approach by the US would not lead to more death and bloodshed around the world?

I would love to see a world where we don't have to have 11 aircraft carrier task groups on patrol.

Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,467,310 times
Trump's new theme song:
Let's Drop the Big One Now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EqBrw3rQvKo

Old 04-14-2017, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Remember, they had to LOWER the standards and take high school kids who didn't pass the intelligence test and/or had been in trouble.
They haven't taken people without a high school diploma in years.

Quote:
Our soldiers (military) is ultra technical. In the end it comes down to how much it costs you to kill or hurt an enemy soldier (or their assets).

According to our own military, the number of Taliban and terrorists killed is in the 25K range. Costs so far are about 5 TRILLION dollars - and so it costs us 200K or more to take out each "terrorist". Total costs cannot be added up for generations due to the loss of good people here - and the other things we could have done with the money, etc.

The cost for MOAB and this operation was 450K per "terrorist" which does not include any more terrorists which he may have created.

I had a uber ride the other day with a fella who was ready to sign up for the infantry. He was scared. REALLY scared.

Yes, I would say a battle hardened Afghan or Foreign fighter blows away much of our current infantry and others. This is not a negative thing. Americans value life and limb and have very good lives. Afghans are going to die soon anyway (maybe at 50). We are attacking their homeland.

Looking at a similar situation - I'd say the Southern leaders, armies and soldiers in the civil were better - man for man - than the North. I'd also say the German soldier beat the snow out of the American....that is, if both had the same hardware behind them.

Now - famously - Americans had incredible respect for the Japanese soldier and the Vietnamese also. Not so much for the Italians.

I can't see how American soldiers - by and large (not individuals) can possibly measure up to people who are glad to die. Americans spend much of their time and planning just to make sure they don't get hurt. That ends up driving their entire policy.

Anyway, the point stands. If we want to kill a million terrorists, it is going to cost us 200 Trillion Dollars or about the total value of the USA. We're already a long way toward that being as we can't afford to educate or provide health care for our own.

Note - my opinions about the German Soldier and the Southern Soldier are my own - based on thousands of pages of reading of history.
We kill 25 of them and they kill 2 of ours and they win because we have something to lose, they do not. (part of the bigger picture argument)..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies