Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 10:15 PM

60 posts, read 51,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I thought the NYTimes was fake news?

Congressional exemption from GOP healthcare plan to be addressed separately | TheHill

Congress Again Exempt From Some Republican Health Plan Cuts

Sure sounds like they are keeping Obamacare for themselves, while selling the new biz to the rest of us. Kinda funny, isn't it?
I think the information in your links has been superseded. They passed a separate bill this afternoon, just prior to the ACHA vote.

Before the final vote, the House unanimously passed a separate bill that will ensure members of Congress and their staffs are subject to the rules of their new health care measure. Originally, Republicans were under fire after it was reported that they wouldn't be subject to the rules of their own bill. Republicans said that they were required to include the exemption under Senate rules.

Health care: Republicans pass bill to replace Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 10:27 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,969,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
I think the information in your links has been superseded. They passed a separate bill this afternoon, just prior to the ACHA vote.

Before the final vote, the House unanimously passed a separate bill that will ensure members of Congress and their staffs are subject to the rules of their new health care measure. Originally, Republicans were under fire after it was reported that they wouldn't be subject to the rules of their own bill. Republicans said that they were required to include the exemption under Senate rules.

Health care: Republicans pass bill to replace Obamacare - CNNPolitics.com
Thank goodness. They realized that they have millions in the bank and wont have to face the real consequences of this bill like ordinary Americans have to, so the optics of exempting themselves is worse than having to shell out more money to be properly covered. And of course they got a few millions extra from the insurance companies that fund them to drop that exemption for themselves. So nothing lost anyway.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:46 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwsavemoney View Post
For healthcare...he is the only one who openly pushed for universal health care as a part of his platform
Is that supposed to be good?

Old 05-04-2017, 11:30 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,328,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
And when it was signed into law, it had about a 70% disapproval rating.

Old 05-05-2017, 01:37 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,677,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I didn't support him and I am going to be screwed too. This is awful. I have to money to pay full price for my monthly insurance premium but if they can charge 5x rate for older people, and kick you off if/when you get a preexisting condition, then the policy is going to be much much higher rate than Obamacare and possibly won't be able to get any policy(at any price) if preexisting condition. Death panel for the self employed and for those that retire before age 65 without an employer provided policy. Even for those that were paying full premium themselves with ACA. The price increase and the pre-existing "kick you off" is going to impact a lot of people.
Yes...such a great time to be alive.. 🙄

Old 05-05-2017, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingtodd View Post
Well, elections have consequences. All Americans will find that out the hard way. I say let it pass. Trumpcare it is.
Well, besides the more important, serious aspects, I do not want to have to refer to anything having HIS name included in the title.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I'm right there with you. Over 55, self-employed, no way I could ever afford the premiums without a subsidy. We and millions of others like us will return to the uninsured status. To say nothing of the millions of people who qualified for expanded Medicaid who will return to being uninsured. To say nothing of the millions upon millions who will get caught in the preexisting conditions muck.

All in all, many millions of Americans will find themselves out in the cold.

But Conservatives simply could not possibly care less.
Plus, Doctors will experience having fewer patients.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:35 AM

33,315 posts, read 12,551,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
working class Trump voters celebrating that the House passed a bill that the members made sure exempted themselves because it is so bad? The logic is completely absent.

Why would the House Republicans exempt themselves if its so great for the people?
I heard a House member from Virginia interviewed on the radio on Thursday. He said that one thing that would happen before anything went to Trump's desk would be that a separate bill would be introduced and passed that would get rid of that exemption for Congress....but I won't believe that that'd happen until after the fact....and I'm not holding my breath.

Old 05-05-2017, 02:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady400 View Post
I keep hearing this over and over. Has this escaped everyone's notice? They are not exempt.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/04/u...bill.html?_r=0
The Virginia congressman I heard interviewed on Thursday was apparenly unaware that this latest with the exemption eliminated had already passed .

Old 05-05-2017, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Town FFX View Post
I thought the NYTimes was fake news?

Congressional exemption from GOP healthcare plan to be addressed separately | TheHill

Congress Again Exempt From Some Republican Health Plan Cuts

Sure sounds like they are keeping Obamacare for themselves, while selling the new biz to the rest of us. Kinda funny, isn't it?
Now your first link agrees with the Virginia congressman I heard interviewed on Thursday. I wonder which scenario is correct?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies