Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 01:30 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Wow, the right wingers are having their own little party, arent they?

This "i dont have to pay for you" bs originates in the fallacy that, since we are all born equal, everyone has earned what they have.

NO YOU HAVENT

Right wingers loooove to think they are better than other people, they need to feel they are better. Thank god the poor exist, so right wingers can go ahead and think all poor people are like that because they are lazy or didnt work hard enough.

But no, maybe those two posters whom you are attacking had a very difficult upbringing. Maybe the poor person you see on the streets and judge has only see violence and hunger in his life. Maybe he was so poor he had to start begging for food in the streets when he was 4. Maybe his dad is in prision and his mom has been killed so he has no one and had to beg for a living since he was a little kid, therefore he didnt have access to education of any type, less so college, and, now in his 30s, he is working a very basic job for minimal wage, 16 hours a day.

So, according to your logic, I, that i have 2 college degrees, and work in a big shot publisher, and earn a lot more than him, am A LOT better than him, because i own a home, 2 cars, have this 2 shiny titles hanging in my wall, have this job and all this knowledge and him? Well, he is just a basic worker who earns minimum wage.

Nice, huh?

I give a damn whether or not you like the fact that there are different outcomes for people in their lives. I donate a lot to charity. I donate time and effort to help. What I cannot accept is some scumbag, demanding I OWE them something from MY earnings because they don't have my successes. No one but me is entitled to decide what I do with my earnings. No one has ANY right to demand I pay for something they want when I have to pay for the same thing if I were to get it for my self. My earnings are MY property, NOT yours.

Quit advocating THEFT of another person's property!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 01:31 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I think, once again, this thread has gotten somewhat off-topic, but to respond to the recent track about choices --

I think almost everyone has made some bad choices in life, and I have made some WHOPPERS. However, the difference is that some people take responsibility for those choices and don't expect others to pay for their mistakes (as opposed to circumstances beyond their control), while others refuse to admit any blame for their lot in life.

To illustrate, I could have focused more on doing whatever it took to have a professional and high-paying career, but I chose to focus on other things. That worked out fairly well, as I now have a middle-class life -- that wasn't always the case, btw, as I was much poorer when I was young -- but I am not going to say that it is anyone's fault but my own that I am not living a "country club" type of lifestyle and taking a month-long European resort vacation every year. Sure, I could say that it wasn't my fault that my parents were not rich and so I did not have the advantages that millionaires' children have, but I still could have studied harder and obtained university scholarships -- I just chose not to do so. I have never believed that, despite my only having a B average in high school, the government should have funded a university education for me, anyway. (But to be clear, I do think that some leeway should be given to poor children, but just not a huge amount.)

But getting back on topic, I DO think that all everyone SHOULD receive basic healthcare, but not free healthcare unless there are extenuating circumstance that make it impossible for them to pay for at least some of it. (I would, however, not be opposed to some kind of "Medicare for everyone" in which every worker contributes into one big "pot". For one thing, I think that might end a lot of the discord between the "haves" and the "have-nots".)
I think that this is the reasonable position and argument for socialized medicine. It's at least an honest way of addressing people like me who aren't on board with any collectivist schemes. I only get upset when people try to spin their spending of others money as being generous, and anyone who opposes it must be a bad and/or unreasonable person who hates the poor.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:35 PM

5,302 posts, read 2,356,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KS_Referee View Post
I give a damn whether or not you like the fact that there are different outcomes for people in their lives. I donate a lot to charity. I donate time and effort to help. What I cannot accept is some scumbag, demanding I OWE them something from MY earnings because they don't have my successes. No one but me is entitled to decide what I do with my earnings. No one has ANY right to demand I pay for something they want when I have to pay for the same thing if I were to get it for my self. My earnings are MY property, NOT yours.

Quit advocating THEFT of another person's property!
And to add to this, if you want his earnings, go get them yourself instead of using the government to do it for you.

If people had to do it themselves, I don't think we'd even be having a serious discussion about it. Most people only support it because they have this vague idea that it's somehow not the same if done by the state.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,532,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Ah, the old "I'm just not lucky enough to be successful" excuse. Hogwash. Everybody has opportunities. Some take them, some squander them.

You've mentioned that you're very successful (one might say "think you're better than everyone else"). Do you donate most of your income to those less fortunate, I mean "unlucky", leaving you with just the barest to survive on?
No. Not everyone haves THE SAME opportunities. Take the story of the worker i told in my other post: left with no parents or relatives by the age of 4, had to beg for a living, wasnt able to get any type of education, and now in his 30s he works the most basic job and earns minimum wage.

Compare it to me: born in an upper middle class family, went to the best private schools, got the best education, went to college and have a masters and keep studying, can perfectly read and write in two languages, has a career as opposed of "a job".

Both in our thirties: i own a home, 2 cars, have a job i love, and when my parents die im gonna inherite a hotel in a beach town and 2 appartments.

Did we have the same opportunities?

Old 05-10-2017, 01:49 PM

3,617 posts, read 1,822,566 times
Quote:
Lol, have you earned all you have??

You just got lucky to be born with opportunities. Who do you people think you are? Stop going through life thinking you are better than everyone. You have no idea the hardships other have to endure.

I was a badly abused child. My father was a drunk and my mother beat me to the point of being hospitalized numerous times. I was neglected so bad I spent a month in the hospital at the age of 12. I left home at 15 and went into the foster care system. I still graduated HS. Then I went to work. I learned a trade but decided I wanted more in life. After working several years, I went to college and still worked, paying for most of college as I went, then paying off what little I borrowed within 4 years of graduating college. I EARNED an electrical engineering degree. No one handed it to me. I sold myself to a potential employer & they liked what they saw. We had an excellent relationship even after I retired AND I retired early on my savings that, via my own sacrifice, is pretty substantial. I will get my full retirement, a retirement I EARNED when I turn 65.

Don't tell me it can't be done. Don't tell me I can't understand. Don't give me all the BS excuses. I lived a nightmare life as a child. In 3 years as a foster child I was in 30 different placements because I was so unaccustomed to being a "normal" child due to my violent upbringing. I had to learn to be different than I was taught all my life.

Fortunately one of my first foster parents taught me to pay myself by saving and investing a portion of everything I earned. I worked at a couple minimum wage jobs for a short period. I made those sacrifices and now I live a very nice life. Don't tell me it can't be done.

I WASN'T lucky. I EARNED what I earned and what I've got. You didn't earn ANY of what I have for me, "I" did.

Last edited by KS_Referee; 05-10-2017 at 02:00 PM..

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
No. Not everyone haves THE SAME opportunities. Take the story of the worker i told in my other post: left with no parents or relatives by the age of 4, had to beg for a living, wasnt able to get any type of education, and now in his 30s he works the most basic job and earns minimum wage.

Compare it to me: born in an upper middle class family, went to the best private schools, got the best education, went to college and have a masters and keep studying, can perfectly read and write in two languages, has a career as opposed of "a job".

Both in our thirties: i own a home, 2 cars, have a job i love, and when my parents die im gonna inherite a hotel in a beach town and 2 appartments.

Was this in the United States? I don't think so.

And for every person that had a terrible upbringing and is not succeeding, there are just as many that did succeed. Same with privileged upbringing - there is no guarantee that it brings success.

As for the rest, I'm still waiting for your answer on when you will give away all the unearned spoils of your privileged upbringing? You can start with me, since you obviously support giving earned goods to those less fortunate.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:17 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:

Why are you so obsessed with repeatedly telling people 6,000 miles away how much you have? Reeks of insecurity.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:19 PM

19,848 posts, read 12,110,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Was this in the United States? I don't think so.

And for every person that had a terrible upbringing and is not succeeding, there are just as many that did succeed. Same with privileged upbringing - there is no guarantee that it brings success.

As for the rest, I'm still waiting for your answer on when you will give away all the unearned spoils of your privileged upbringing? You can start with me, since you obviously support giving earned goods to those less fortunate.
She can give those spoils to peacewarrior who claims the rich are greedy. That would make both posters happy.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:21 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,572,795 times
Human right is not the right to be entitled to other people's properties.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,980,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacewarrior99 View Post
Rich people are greedy. Poor people are poor because rich people have too much money.
I thought you were poor because you're obese. I'm confused now.....

I am not confused about what constitutes greedy, which is what you are, I believe. You want something that doesn't belong to you, and haven't earned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies