Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 12:25 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
The US has 10 times the population you do and almost 50% pay NOTHING in taxes that can be used for UHC. Why can't you Lefties do math? So in essence that's 150 million people buying 300 million insurance plans. It would be like every working person who pays taxes buying TWO insurance plans. I'm sorry, but it's not my responsibility to take care of anyone else but myself and my family. You don't see wild animals dropping off food that they just killed for their families to the one that can't feed itself. It's called survival of the fittest and it will never change. If you can't afford to take care of yourself, you do whatever is necessary to do so or you fade away into oblivion. People who truly can't take care of themselves are already covered. So everyone is bitching and moaning about people who can take care of themselves but refuse to do so. I have no sympathy for anyone that refuses to do what is necessary for themselves while they absolutely can.
Well I am a poor single mom with two kids that gets free healthcare. I do work full time and always have. By all means, feel free to point me towards a job that will pay me twice my current salary. Or send a rich husband my way that wants to stick around and raise two kids. But at this point, I have done what I needed to do for my family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'll quote a cliche. " No man is an island ".

I'm not sure what you do for a living, but I'm pretty sure that because of funding through taxation, you were able to do what you do. If you've ever taken transit, or drove on a road, or felt safe in that building because safety codes were used that city engineers approved. Public school?

No one in a modern society earns something SOLEY on their own.
I won't nitpick the whole post, so I'll just say yes, people need to work together to have any success. The thing is, there is no debt that needs to be paid back to "society", which isn't even a real entity. If you're educated, you pay the educators and you're even. If you get roads, you pay for the roads and you're even.

The split here is that you're not accounting for the fact that there is no other competition allowed outside of the government version of these services, and you're not even allowed to refuse them if you choose to do so.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:26 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
No it's not pointless. A right is something you just get and don't have to pay for. That's why HC will never be a right because someone has to get paid to administer it.
Wait. A right is something you just get. Without having to pay for. Ok. Let me check that. I have a right to life. That can come at the cost of safe roads, police... ohhhh maybe even a doctor! Somehow we can pay for the roads and the police. Just not the doctor. I have a right to liberty. Which is defended by aforementioned police and the military. And the pursuit of happiness. Um? Where's my boat? Damn I have to pursue that.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:29 PM

207 posts, read 102,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
You'd be right if those services couldn't be provided privately, which they could be. The government just has a monopoly on those services.
Who is gonna be paying for all these services out of pocket for generosity?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:32 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Well I am a poor single mom with two kids that gets free healthcare. I do work full time and always have. By all means, feel free to point me towards a job that will pay me twice my current salary. Or send a rich husband my way that wants to stick around and raise two kids. But at this point, I have done what I needed to do for my family.
Don't you know you should not have spread your legs in the first place? Being poor means you have no right to a life. God help you if you were abandoned. Sucks to be you, right?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:33 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Who is volunteering? Healthcare isn't charity work. Or have you not noticed.

What you provide for yourself is your right.

3,639 posts, read 3,340,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaigonPaisa View Post
Who is gonna be paying for all these services out of pocket for generosity?
Everyone, that's the point!

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Don't you know you should not have spread your legs in the first place? Being poor means you have no right to a life. God help you if you were abandoned. Sucks to be you, right?
I thought you could if you were married... Is that not the case?

Old 05-08-2017, 12:38 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
They know nothing else, they are use to paying high taxes to fund their "free" health care, college education, etc, it's the norm to them, the gov't. tells them you pay this 40-50% in taxes and people are like, sure OK, they have no choice. Where as the people in the US are not used to paying the level of taxes those countries do. Maybe if everyone in the US, no matter how poor or wealthy you were, was paying 40-50% in taxes from the start of taxation, people in the US would think nothing of it, because it's "the norm".
Income tax rates in Canada for the middle income earners is much the same as the US. We pay slightly more in taxes overall..but things even out. Property tax in Canada is generally lower than in the US.

Do Canadians Really Pay More Taxes Than Americans?

Still, these countries , like Canada, rank higher on quality of life, among many other factors. So we can't be doing too badly.

Old 05-08-2017, 12:39 PM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
Stabbing in the dark now, are ya? Nice try. But you're very, very mistaken.

If you've read my posts with any ability to read between the lines, it should be clear that I'm all about people pushing their own weight -- IF it is in their power to do so. The very young, the frail, the sick, the elderly cannot take care of themselves. It is our duty as a civilized "Christian" society to do so. With open hearts. And I say that, by the way, as someone who never calls herself a Christian.

But anyone else has NO excuses. That includes all of you fraudulent rugged individualists.
Haaaa...a Liberal who believes in self responsibility?

Yeah right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies