Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 09:18 AM

12,601 posts, read 7,232,629 times

Advertisements

Nancy Reagan, incarnate.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:23 AM

15,823 posts, read 12,471,721 times
Suburban moms and dad's - this means your kids will be locked up, for a long time, just for one joint or open beer.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:24 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Good news for the GOP. I don't think there is such a thing as a Republican who is not on the take from the private prison industry.
Lol...good one.

I'm just floored that Republicans can't see that they're CLEARLY on the wrong side of history here.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:33 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,221,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
What happened to states' rights?
Sessions is one of those old school Alabamans. He only believes in States Rights when it comes to ONE issue.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:36 AM

46,964 posts, read 26,011,859 times
Which is the party of small government, again?

Old 05-12-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Mandatory minimums didn't prevent drug abuse, it just put more people in jail.
The incarceration rate is one of the US' undisputed world records. I guess Sessions is afraid of risking the #1 position. "Land of the Free", indeed.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:41 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,501,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Do you have some success stories from other states regarding Heroin, maybe NY and MA can learn from their positive experiences.

I don't believe Sessions is addressing Heroin or Oxycodone, minimum triggers sounds more like Marijuana or Cocaine. Mandatory minimums didn't prevent drug abuse, it just put more people in jail.
Yes here in tropical America.
https://youtu.be/m0XEocn5yDI

Also in NY, as I had an attempted home invasion (I say attempted because I met the would be invaders at the front door with an Ithaca 37 with slugs)
Was told by state troopers it's their job to protect life and property. Not mine. Almost caught felony charges had my ex not called the county sheriffs office. Long story short, they were junkies looking to break in and steal at gun point due to her and I both having brand new vehicles. They figured we had lots of goodies and cash inside. Their problem was the gun they brought, was a Sig Sauer BB pistol, and the sheriff's putting the state gestapo in check, taking our side of the argument, getting a search warrant and finding it hidden behind a washing machine inside their house...

Here in tropical America, you come armed, and are a threat to life or property, you win 2 to the chest and if you survive you go to prison. Not turn around and file a counter suit. The way it should be everywhere. Had I shot either or both of them, I would have faced a long drawn out court procedure where in the end, the prosecutor would pander to the jury and sell a sad woe is they story they could relate to, and that my actions were unjust and done out of spite or hate...

One major reason I left NY. They protect legitimate criminals, and make criminals out of legitimate citizens. (See veteran facing 21 years for having factory Glock 17 magazines being in violation of the safe act)

As for putting more people in prison. Good. When the punishments outweigh the benefits of illegal activities... you tend not to partake in said activities. Not up for debate on any particular drug or the "morality" of it.
Like NY states cell phone laws. One thing I agreed with legislation wise that came out.
Been rear ended twice by people who "didn't see me". Didn't see me? Hello? Big black pickup truck? Sunny outside? You didn't see me? Why? Face buried in your phone?
Got really tired of hearing the local news about another drunk or teen texting and wiping out a car load of kids or a family of 4/5 from being distracted by a damn phone.

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorettastewart View Post
This is one of my pet peeves. I knew Trump and Sessions would resume the old fascist policies like drug enforcement. Most of these sentences impact minoriries and people of color.
Let's be fair......they are only continuing the failed policies of the past.

President Barack Obama has a complicated history with medical marijuana. In his autobiography, and elsewhere, Obama frankly described using marijuana as a teen: “I inhaled frequently. That was the point.” When he was running for president, Obama famously said he wouldn’t be using federal resources to “circumvent state laws on the issue” of medical marijuana. But not long after he got into office, his administration began a crackdown on growers and dispensers in states that had legalized it. By 2012, he had publically changed his tune from 2008, arguing that not to enforce federal anti-pot statutes in states where medical marijuana was legal would be to “nullify congressional law.”

Obama’s medical marijuana prosecutions probably aren’t legal

13,898 posts, read 6,450,477 times
Lefties are a riot. They want drugs legalized because they think people should be able to put whatever they want into their bodies, but they also support draconian laws about the types of food you eat. You can't make this stuff up even if you tried.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorettastewart View Post
This is one of my pet peeves. I knew Trump and Sessions would resume the old fascist policies like drug enforcement. Most of these sentences impact minoriries and people of color.
I suspect that for a lot of Trump voters that's a feature, not a bug.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies