Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 10:23 PM

42,846 posts, read 26,259,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
So your reason for supporting the bill is that you are afraid that someone in the school will be irresponsible or careless with the firearm.

At least that's a logical reason. I don't agree that the risk is all that great ( my state is pretty loose with guns and we have fewer shootings than California generally ) but at least it's an actual reason.

You can't remove all risk from children's lives unfortunately and the much larger risk is the bad driver on the road.
Most untrained or poorly trained civilians shake so bad in live shooting situations that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn let alone a shooter in the classroom. So yes, I'm opposed to putting untrained civilians with guns in classrooms with our kids thinking that somehow they are going to prevail in some heroic shootout. I think it's horrible idea and a disaster just waiting to happen. If people feel there is a need for this, and if teachers want to participate then set up training that is at least the equivalent of that provided to police reserve officers.

And unless Nevada changed their laws, at least in 2016 it was against the law for anyone to bring a gun on a school campus without specific written permission, so it seems that in spite of their more liberal gun policies they really haven't embraced the idea of allowing civilians to carry guns on school campuses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
So you choose not to address how people with CCW permits are safer than police who you think have adequate training.

Some states don't even require a permit to carry concealed, are they having a problem with people concealed carrying shooting random people? Are they randomly shooting because they hear a loud noise?

To save you some time, no; they are not having any of these issues you seem to think will be rampant. Real life proves you wrong. Statistics prove you wrong. You sound just like everyone whoredict blood in the streets when ever a state enacts shall issue ccw permits.

Look at how many states have started issuing ccw permits. Your fears are unfounded.
I have said at least four times in this thread that I am not opposed to the issuance of CCW's. PERIOD. Lots of people fire their guns when they hear a strange noise in their house, it's quite common. and now you claim that CCW holders are somehow 'safer' than cops? I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, but I think this argument has just gotten too silly to bother with

Old 05-25-2017, 10:28 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,819,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Most untrained or poorly trained civilians shake so bad in live shooting situations that they couldn't hit the broad side of a barn let alone a shooter in the classroom. So yes, I'm opposed to putting untrained civilians with guns in classrooms with our kids thinking that somehow they are going to prevail in some heroic shootout. I think it's horrible idea and a disaster just waiting to happen. If people feel there is a need for this, and if teachers want to participate then set up training that is at least the equivalent of that provided to police reserve officers.

And unless Nevada changed their laws, at least in 2016 it was against the law for anyone to bring a gun on a school campus without specific written permission, so it seems that in spite of their more liberal gun policies they really haven't embraced the idea of allowing civilians to carry guns on school campuses.
Just wondering, how often do you get to the range and do you ask everyone you see if they are an untrained civil or someone with a ccw permit to make these claims?

Ive spent my entire life around firearms, people with ccw permits and police and my life experience as well as statistical analysis contradicts your assertions.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Just wondering, how often do you get to the range and do you ask everyone you see if they are an untrained civil or someone with a ccw permit to make these claims?
Ive spent my entire life around firearms, people with ccw permits and police and my life experience as well as statistical analysis contradicts your assertions.
I spent 24 years working in law enforcement.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
I have said at least four times in this thread that I am not opposed to the issuance of CCW's. PERIOD. Lots of people fire their guns when they hear a strange noise in their house, it's quite common. and now you claim that CCW holders are somehow 'safer' than cops? I don't even know what that is supposed to mean, but I think this argument has just gotten too silly to bother with
You keep claiming we have a problem with armed teachers randomly discharging weapons when they hear noises or they have Jitters or some other excuse yet you have not provided a single example, let alone statical evidence. You don't even have anecdotal evidence. All you have is a guess that contradicts mountains of empirical data and real life situations.

You already let your child experience things exceptionally more deadly than being around someone with a CCW permit. This assumes your child has been in a car, climbed down the stairs or swam in a pool.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:38 PM

Quote:
I spent 24 years working in law enforcement.
You still haven't answered my question. And what did you specifically do in law enforcement?

Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Be sure and tell her to crawl under a desk if an event happens. Then she will be safe.
Actually, she would protect her kids by shielding them regardless of what happened to her. It doesn't mean you are a coward if you don't carry a gun. In fact, it means you are courageous to stand against those who intend to harm you. I think the weak carry a gun because they don't know how to react otherwise. I think they are the ones who are scared.

Old 05-25-2017, 10:57 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Quote:
Not even close. Everyone I know that has a ccw trains more than the police and buys ammo in bulk on line making range trips 20-30 total. Of course California is banning purchasing ammo on line, it is like they don't want people to be able to shoot easily.
LOL. Range fees here are 20 to 25 bucks per person. Plus targets you're at 25 to 30.

9mm about 25 cents a round at wally world

I found "bulk ammo" brass 45 online for 30 cents a round

250 round range day you're over 100 bucks, besides not everyone buys ammo online

Not. Even. Close.

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Actually, she would protect her kids by shielding them regardless of what happened to her. It doesn't mean you are a coward if you don't carry a gun. In fact, it means you are courageous to stand against those who intend to harm you. I think the weak carry a gun because they don't know how to react otherwise. I think they are the ones who are scared.
So it is better to be killed and then the kids to be killed while you "shield" them than it is to fight back?

When did protecting yourself and others make you weak and scared?

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,119,971 times
Quote:
Been a cop 11 years and I've been to 1. ONE.....Call with an accidental discharge and it was a banger that should not have had a gun in the first place.

Its rare
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies