Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2017, 04:27 PM

57,294 posts, read 26,206,502 times

Advertisements

I recall Ahmajinedad, the Iranian president speaking at NYU and black radicals like Farrakhan speaking at several universities. You can disagree with any speaker but they deserve to be heard and not insulted, if you don't like their politics protest elsewhere rather than a location of convenience.

Last edited by Goodnight; 05-21-2017 at 05:04 PM..

Old 05-21-2017, 04:34 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,239,172 times
Ahyayeee, the hypocrisy! I don't recall any of these posters so beside themselves over the Pence protest, posting a thing when the conservative students disrupted and ruined graduation ceremonies when Obama spoke. They were upset over abortion and gay marriage.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

421 posts, read 288,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I recall Ahmajinedad, the Iranian president speaking at NYU and black radicals like Farrakhan and other speaking at several universities. You can disagree with any speaker but they deserve to be heard and not insulted, if you don't like their politics protest elsewhere rather than a location of convenience.

They have a right to speak.The students have the same right not to listen to it.Pence is a trump pawn.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:35 PM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
It is a shame that those students degraded their degree in the manner they did. Part of being "educated" is knowing how to behave in public. They don't have to agree to anything Pence said but they should have sat there and been respectful. There are times and places to peacefully protest. The graduation ceremony was not one of them.

If I were in a hiring mode and was interviewing a ND grad, I'd ask what they thought of the student protest. If the applicant defended it, I'd thank them for their interest in my firm and wish them luck in their job search, but I would not hire them. I would not hire anyone who lacks the professionalism to know how to act in such settings. I'd be afraid that they'd embarrass my firm in front of clients given their lack of maturity.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:37 PM

10,457 posts, read 4,040,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
Anything for attention these days.
Protesting is a fad right now.

If these students were mature, they would respect the speaker even if they don't agree with him.
They would stay and listen.
That way they would have knowledge from his view points and they would have reason to have a mature discussion on what they disagree with.

By walking out they are acting like babies and will allow themselves to become ignorant.
I agree with you 100%. Protesting started to get ridiculous probably since when the soldiers were coming home from Vietnam and they were being spat on. Then it got just as bad when that Fred Phelps was protesting military burials in the most disrespectful way. They had to create a law to keep protesters from funerals for that very reason!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:38 PM

6,658 posts, read 4,747,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
What a bunch of rude brats to walk out and not even be able to listen to what may be an opposing view. So much for debate in higher learning.
Liberals lack the ability to understand from an opposing view. So they resort to childish name calling and/or baiting racism, sexism, bigotry, homophobia, etc... No wonder why they lost the election.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ohhh View Post
A quiet demonstration and exercise of their First Amendment rights and you call them rude brats ... yet you also whine about the "fringe left" and the "violence" ad nauseum ...

So you're basically saying we should all just sit down, shut up and let your Fuhrer do whatever he wants, is that it?

Typical.
That is exactly what they want.

Quote:
Don't be silly.

Those kids have the right to walk out but they are rude brats.
When have I whined about the fringe left and the violence?? Are you saying that you condone violence? DO you approve of the idiots that turn a peaceful protest/march into a looting mob? perhaps you do since they are sending a message.

It is not about sitting still and having a puppet of the Fuhrer bark at you. it is about respect.

These kids have little minds that are shut down to anything outside their comfort zone. What exactly did they learn in college. I know when I went my mind was opened to all kinds of ideas and I graduated a better student of the world.
I'm no fan of Obama, Hillary, Warren but if I had a chance to shake their hand or to hear them speak I would not turn my back on them. I would probably disagree but I would listen and possibly learn something.

The kids that walked out closed their minds to learning and showed just how ignorant they are.
The graduates that walked out the door didn't think that Pence deserved their respect because they do NOT respect what he stands for as a homophobic bigot. One does not have to have a college education to know what Pence stands for. The people of Indiana already knew and were fixing to give him the boot this year - for good reason.

Good for them for walking out. They were quiet; they caused no problem.

Quit crying about it.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:39 PM

421 posts, read 288,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I have to admit I really do not care if anyone walks out on a speaker, no matter who that speaker is. That is their right being that we live in a free country and all. I wouldn't call this fake news, but rather lazy news or inconsequential news.
Exactly ,I would like to add I believe Notre Dame was wrong to invite a person like Pence to be a speaker.Considering his hatred for the Catholic Church and the opposition that Pope Frances has of Trump I believe it was a bad choice.

Old 05-21-2017, 04:41 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimChi2PG View Post
If Americans no longer respect the offices politicians hold, the politicians have themselves to blame. They have abused the power we give them to create an America that works for only a few any more.

Mike Pence is not a man of the people. In my book he's not a man at all. I mean he needs his wife as chaperone when he's meeting with another woman. He pretends to be a Christian but had no problem accepting the VP spot under a cavorting, snatch-grabbing man who has a history of screwing the little guy. How Christ-like.

If the free-thinking graduates of Notre Dame feel strongly enough to stand up for what they believe in, I support them. You reap what you sow and speaking out against corruption and hypocrisy will hopefully reap many good results.
That's rich! Have you seen Hillary's husband? What about Ted Kennedy? Heck, though he was a good President, what about John F. Kennedy for that matter (Not that JFK was that corrupt, just that he had some issues with women.)?

Old 05-21-2017, 04:42 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
The VP spoke today at the commencement ceremony at Notre Dame and a groups of graduate got up and left to cheers and boos.

Dozens of Notre Dame Students Walk Out of VP Mike Pence Commencement Speech - NBC News

What happened to tolerance, patience and respect?
Liberals speak of tolerance and respect for gay people, Muslims, black Americans, ex.ex. When did you ever hear a liberal speak of tolerance for a republican?

Quote:
Like him or not he is still the VP of the United States and it certainly was their right to walk out but one would think that after 4+ years of higher learning that those students would have learned something beyond throwing a tantrum like a child that doesn't like the game that is being played so they leave.

Listening to A right wing radio show a mom called in to chat and she told a story about her very conservative daughter that went to a very liberal university where Elizabeth Warren gave a commencement speech. Did this young woman get up and walk out? No she stayed in her chair and held her nose but she gave Warren the respect that should be forwarded to anyone that is taking the time to make a speech at the ceremony.

I think it is totally ridiculous that those kids walked out on Pence. I wonder if when they enter the work force and their boss tells them something they do not like if they will walk off the job and seek out a safe space?

What a bunch of rude brats to walk out and not even be able to listen to what may be an opposing view. So much for debate in higher learning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0nE4_nR2hI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wd2HfxbN15U

And its not just Barrack and Michelle Obama, GW Bush got harassed and booed on stages as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KvX8YHzMLQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IH-0sMIOAZ0

This is the politics section where people are supposed to talk about deficits, trade, military spending, and jobs. And what are you talking about?

You are talking about college commencement ceremonies and the (normal) occurrence of politicians being protested against. And the childish behavior here is you turning a political forum into a social whining place where you avoid actual conversations about politics and instead turn the conversation into a social discussion about college commencements.

And your thread is not just non-political, social, and childish. Its also un-American and anti-freedom because your asking people to sit down and silence their political voices and not protest politicians they don't like. Your telling people to behave as if our politicians are dictators and when they speak to sit down and be quiet and don't protest (F. THAT.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies