Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2017, 11:02 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
FAKE NEWS.

Move along, folks. no factual information here. Just a hateful person attempting to spread false information.

This is the controversies section was just my thoughts didn't say it was fact. Being that we dont have any facts on how or who started the fire I think anything is possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 11:03 AM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Now I am going to point out a few things.

1. It was Ramadan.
2. London has been attacked, children killed at the concert etc
3. I think most of the people in that high rise were muslim, and someone took revenge.

Maybe this was revenge attack on muslims in general and this was no accident.
Wow! Thanks Sherlock Holmes. Any other pieces of fiction you'd like to publish?

Old 06-15-2017, 11:04 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
If it wasn't a terror attack you can be sure they took notice.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:05 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
This is the controversies section was just my thoughts didn't say it was fact. Being that we dont have any facts on how or who started the fire I think anything is possible.
Fair enough. I appreciate you clarifying. Honestly.

Speculate away.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:32 AM

9,189 posts, read 7,600,003 times
The aftermath:

https://cdn.rt.com/files/2017.06/ori...95188b45c5.jpg

https://www.rt.com/uk/392291-grenfel...-fire-twitter/

Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 AM

30,896 posts, read 36,958,653 times
I am not a bleeding hear liberal, but I absolutely agree with what this man said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n9NWK7VOLig

Old 06-15-2017, 12:48 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,936,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJmmadude View Post
I watched those videos a few years ago, along with the actual footage of the fire, interviews, etc. There are no words to describe what those people experienced, and the sadness that must stay with them for their entire lives. To think that it all could have been prevented. Completely horrifying, as was the tower fire in London yesterday.
Prior to the Station nightclub fire there was a big push in Rhode Island to require retrofit of fire sprinklers in all night clubs and it was the owners that fought against this because it would cost too much money.

What it comes down to the cost of the Station nightclub fire has amounted to enough money to have put sprinklers in every night club in the entire State of Rhode Island and they still would have come out ahead.

The cost of sprinklers? They're what I do for a living and typically they're going to cost about as much money as a high grade commercial carpet. With a good water supply I've retrofitted buildings for as little as $0.90 per square foot up to $3.50 per square foot on typical buildings. Non-typical buildings would include such occupancies as some hospitals or nuclear power stations and refineries.

Simply based upon my experience I would guess the cost of the Station nightclub would have been somewhere around $2.00 to $3.00 per square foot not counting the underground and permit fees. I really couldn't see the station costing more than $30,000 to $40,000 which is a puny small amount when measured against the cost of the fire.

Little cost, did you know some of the survivors will be on lifetime disability?

Fire Sprinkler Facts

"Did you know, from firefighting and explosion fatality, never been a multiple loss of life in a fully sprinkled building due to fire or smoke. Individual lives have been lost when the victim or his clothing or immediate surroundings became the source of the fire."

Multiple is defined as three or more.

But I've seen owners on buildings and they'll fight spending this money but they'll sure go out in a heartbeat and buy new carpet.

Old 06-15-2017, 12:56 PM

1,739 posts, read 2,568,306 times
London has had to deal with a lot as of late. I will our President could have the compassion and sympathy the posters on this forum have.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:01 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,903,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Well...

'Disaster waiting to happen': fire expert slams UK tower blocks

“A disaster waiting to happen,” is how the architect and fire expert Sam Webb describes hundreds of tower blocks across the UK, after the fire at Grenfell Tower in Kensington that has left at least six people dead. “We are still wrapping postwar high-rise buildings in highly flammable materials and leaving them without sprinkler systems installed, then being surprised when they burn down.”

Webb surveyed hundreds of residential tower blocks across the country in the early 1990s and presented a damning report to the Home Office, which revealed that more than half of the buildings didn’t meet basic fire safety standards. He said: “We discovered a widespread breach of safety, but we were simply told nothing could be done because it would ‘make too many people homeless’.

The inquest concluded that years of botched renovations had removed fire-stopping material between flats and communal corridors, allowing a blaze to spread, and that the problem was not picked up in safety inspections carried out by Southwark council.
That's just crazy. I wouldn't put it past Brazil, China, Russia or other countries NOT have proper safety building codes but, ANY 1st world country like England, Japan and so on, ain't right. Especially for a high rise building built or redone less than 40 years ago.

Old 06-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 3 days ago)

27,180 posts, read 13,461,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
That's just crazy. I wouldn't put it past Brazil, China, Russia or other countries NOT have proper safety building codes but, ANY 1st world country like England, Japan and so on, ain't right. Especially for a high rise building built or redone less than 40 years ago.
Britain has safety codes, however they weren't adhered to by the private company running the flats and this will form part of the investigation. A similar property tun by the same landlords was even served with a Fire Brigade Deficiency Notice just last year.

As for the cladding it is believed it was the source of thee fires spread, and there have been other such cases including in Melbourne in Australia a few years ago.

Cladding in London high-rise fire also blamed for 2014 Melbourne blaze - Guardian

The Emergency Services could not have done more, indeed over 45 Fire Engines were in attendance, however the fire had spread so rapidly so quickly due to the cladding that there was little they could realistically do.

There will now be a full inquiry and new laws and regulations in relation to building regulstions, cladding and emergency advice, there may also be charges in relation to corporate manslaughter.

Grenfell Tower fire is corporate manslaughter, says Labour MP - The Guardian
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies