Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 AM

1,349 posts, read 664,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course it will when the facility no longer has the funds, they must reduce the number of residents. Why not embrace the consequences of the bill? Medicaid should be cut to the bone, and ideally eliminated, that is the donor class agenda. That means everyone fend for themselves. If you dont have $80 000 per year to pay for nursing home, tough luck. No money, no care. Out on the streets.
Or if you live to be near or over a hundred years old, as my four grand-parents did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 11:38 AM

12 posts, read 5,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
I certainly hope you're right.

It is nevertheless your duty as a citizen to make sure it NEVER happens and that means by not believing these arguments are necessarily partisan and wrong, de facto.

Otherwise it's nothing but ostrich's head in the sand policy.

I'm curious what medicare, medicaid, Obamacare, republicans, democrats, elderly in nursing homes in the US or even good old American baseball has to do with France?

Old 06-25-2017, 11:42 AM

6,242 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
Any ideas about what would happen to retirees like 90 year old Alice Jacobs of Orange, Virginia if she is forced out of her county nursing home due to proposed Medicaid cuts? For those without family..... (in the NY Times article below) She once owned a factory and horses, but her funds are exhausted.

Maybe churches would help find a place for her to live? But needing the services that a nursing home provides, that seems complicated or beyond reach.

Medicaid Cuts May Force Retirees Out of Nursing Homes
The key word is May which is a liberal thing to incite fear.

I remember Obamacare cutting a half trillion from Medicare and it wasn't 'May Cut' with out a word of protest by liberals.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:50 AM

51,654 posts, read 25,836,151 times
Medicaid is cut in both versions. Senate bill puts it off for a few years, but both versions are cutting Medicaid funds.

Baby Boomers are approaching nursing home care time. Many of them were forced out their pensions and had their retirement accounts robbed during the financial upheaval at the end of the last Republican administration.

In addition to economic upheavals, these are the people who put a lot of their financial resources into getting their kids through college and caring for their own elderly parents. (Sandwich generation.)

Should be interesting to see how this works out.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:02 PM

50,322 posts, read 47,069,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by personne View Post
The woman in OP's story seemingly has done more than her share.

I guess it still wasn't enough to deserve to be treated decently, right?

I'd be curious to know what MORE she should have done, in addition to working her whole life, being a financial success and raising 4 kids?

What exactly would meet your empathy?

Are these other people mentionned in the article also worthy of your disdain?

Most of these "sources" mention 24-50 million people. I have a hard time believing 50 million Americans were that lazy/stupid that they didn't look to the future. I mean, really, they watched their own parents live and die so it's not like they didn't get a live preview of their senior years.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Why would anyone take you seriously when you use words like Dumpf, repugs, repugnican?
We ask the same question to posters who use words like Obozo, Obammy, Obongo, Obummer, Democrap, DemoncRat and Demorat....

Old 06-25-2017, 12:04 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
And wouldn't it be nice if our politicians did the same
I am Democrat but I am getting very tired of the rhetoric that is focused more on personality than pragmatism

Democrats need answers to problems -- not just diatribes against Trump--
But when McConnell has absolutely NO desire for bi-partisan discussion, keeps this bill under wraps from even his own party, and refuses to listen to any outside his small cabal---
Then it is very easy to be frustrated and to fear what the entrenched GOP leadership is trying to do to tear down Medicaid, and eventually Medicare and SS....
Ryan has preached nothing else since his first campaign and McConnell is willing to do that to get the Freedom Caucus behind the vote...and the mega donor money...
I agree with this. Trump's idiocy speaks for itself. Call him out when his mistakes are egregious, but focus on real solutions. Show the country what lessons they've learned from the last election and yes, from the mistakes of the previous administration and prescribe a way forward. We all need a positive vision to aspire to. Reflect back to us the very best version of America.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:05 PM

6,242 posts, read 3,413,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Medicaid is cut in both versions. Senate bill puts it off for a few years, but both versions are cutting Medicaid funds.

Baby Boomers are approaching nursing home care time. Many of them were forced out their pensions and had their retirement accounts robbed during the financial upheaval at the end of the last Republican administration.

In addition to economic upheavals, these are the people who put a lot of their financial resources into getting their kids through college and caring for their own elderly parents. (Sandwich generation.)

Should be interesting to see how this works out.
Well for one thing people, as you say baby boomers, who are entering nursing home in their later stage of life are more likely to be on Medicare not medicaid. So what you are espousing to is nothing but a liberal ploy at fear mongering.

FYI information more people lost their retirement monies at the end of the Clinton administration due to retirement investments in the so-called 'Dot.com' era and lost a ton of retirement money when the bubble busting from 1999 to 2000.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:10 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,220,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Very passion8 View Post
Don't people over 65 not only qualify for medicare, but are compelled to have medicare as a means of medical insurance? Medicaid is for the poor under 65, isn't it? So how is a 70 year old going to be affected if medicaid is cut?

Unless I am completely mistaken about the roles and differences between medicare and medicaid, I'm sensing the media might be playing on the ignorance and emotions of people.
I haven't completed the thread yet so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Many older people are "dual eligibles", meaning they qualify for both programs. For these people, Medicaid will cover services not covered by Medicare and in some cases Medicaid can help pay for their Medicare premiums and/or deductibles. I believe Medicare only covers a nursing home for 90 days so many people rely on Medicaid to pay for nursing home care after that point.

Old 06-25-2017, 12:10 PM

1,323 posts, read 588,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Are any of you that are so worried NOW going to start saving for retirement? Or just continue winging it demanding someone else care for you when at some point, you can't?
No, I'm going to force you specifically to pay for everything. Make note that I prefer dark chocolate over milk and red wine over white. Also, I prefer wool or cashmere blankets. I'll forward the remainder of my needs later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies