Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you agree with Trumpcare?
Yes 15 14.85%
No 86 85.15%
Voters: 101. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 08:15 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,477,048 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
So 22 million people will lose their health care because they aren't paying for it.

That's fine with me.

Why should I pay their way?

Working uninsured taxpayers pay higher effective tax rates than workers who get healthcare paid by employers or by government.

Why should the working uninsured pay higher effective tax rates than the working insured???

Why should they pay your way???

Hmmm???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2017, 08:17 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,773,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
Great. I don't want to pay for other peoples problems.
All insurance mutualizes risks.

I have never had a Moving Violation or a Parking Ticket. Yet my auto/ liability premium is based on what other drivers in my geo area do or not.

A few years ago, my area was hit with a bad hail storm. My roof was brand new and my car was in the garage. I incurred no damage. The out of state storm chasers descended on the area and more than half of roofs were replaced and paid for by insurance.

My home insurance premium increased by nearly 20%.

All healthcare insurance is Geo Rates. For example, Florida has 69 regions. The same insurer sells the same plan in different regions at different premiums.

What matters is the health of the local population, as measured by claims made and type of claims. If one lives in an area where the local population trends unhealthier, one will pay a higher premium, regardless of ones own health.

What matters is the ratio of hospital beds and healthcare providers vs the local population.

What matters is the number of heLthcare networks and the competition by insurers in a given geographical area.

Geo ratings were in existence long before the ACA and remain.

Like it or not, you have been pYing for other people all along for all insurance. And it's possible depending on your personal driving record, home insurance claims and health, other people have been subsidizing you.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:21 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,782,559 times
Paul Ryan just said in a meeting he has confidence in CBO.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:22 AM

42,850 posts, read 26,307,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Paul Ryan just said in a meeting he has confidence in CBO.
He was smart to do that, it's just a little silly for Republicans to whine about the CBO score when the head of CBO is a ultra conservative free market whack job economist hand picked by Tom Price

Old 06-27-2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Sportsfan View Post
A 60 yr old making 26k a year in the richest country in the world would pay 13-16k a year in premiums under the new law.

Sad, embarassing. These people will not get health care but will show up in the ER when crap hits the fan and we will all be paying for their treatment at the highest rate and less chance of survival.

Sad what we are lowering ourselves as a country.
That 60 year old will likely be less healthy when he turns 65 and becomes eligible for Medicare.

ERs are required to stabilize patients regardless of patient's ability to pay. ERs do not treat Cancer, fill prescriptions or perform surgeries.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:26 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,440,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Working uninsured taxpayers pay higher effective tax rates than workers who get healthcare paid by employers or by government.

Why should the working uninsured pay higher effective tax rates than the working insured???

Why should they pay your way???

Hmmm???
Come again.

Your post makes no sense.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnluver8956 View Post
I think there will be more than that, they are removing the employer mandate to provide health insurance and I think that will impact far more than the 4 million they are projecting.

My husband worked for a fortune 500 company when the ACA rolled out and believe it or not, they tried to force all of their hourly employees to opt out of employer provided insurance and buy subsidized policies on the exchange, in return they were going to give the employees a monthly bonus in their pay check. I guess someone who knew it was illegal put a stop to it a few weeks later, but the reason I mention it is that it illustrates how badly a large, profitable company wanted to get out of providing employee healthcare, if this law passes I bet they will throw people off their policies the same day.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
That 60 year old will likely be less healthy when he turns 65 and becomes eligible for Medicare. ERs are required to stabilize patients regardless of patient's ability to pay. ERs do not treat Cancer, fill prescriptions or perform surgeries.
I am guessing that if they are able to pass this, it will empower them to repeal EMTALA and you can cross the ER as a source of medical care even though it is only for emergent care.

And I hope people don't say "so what, I'm on Medicare" because getting rid of medicare is also on their bucket list, they will not stop with medicaid...trust me

Old 06-27-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
You'll pay in ways which you may not see right now. All sorts of costs are going up, if this insanely conceived bill passes, and the states will have to pick up much of the slack for a sicker population. Those state funds will have to come from somewhere: would you prefer higher state taxes, or a decline in quality of roads, schools, libraries, parks, state universities, or some other state-funded service?
I don't think many people have focused on the state aspect.

The less fed gives to states, the more states will have to self fund or do without.

The Senate Bill, like the House Bill, like the ACA, does nothing to reduce the cost of healthcare.

Those who are advocates for free market healthcare seem a tad naive. If your appendix has burst, are involved in a serious car accident, are experiencing a heart attack or stroke, you are not going to Doctor/ hospital shop.

Depending on who is counting, 40-50% of the population does not have dental insurance.Yet the cost of dental care has soared.

Old 06-27-2017, 08:42 AM

New Kaiser study finds Senate bill raises premiums by 74% for a comparable individual plan, factoring in subsidies:

Marketplace enrollees with incomes below 200 percent of poverty would see an average increase in their premium costs of 177 percent, while higher income enrollees would see an increase of 57 percent.

Premiums under the Senate Better Care Reconciliation Act | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies