Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Because the Dems put all their money on a flawed, unpopular, scandal-ridden candidate and none of the Republicans were saying anything that people wanted to hear, which is better than saying what people want to hear and then not doing it.

If anything proved that neither Dems or Republicans have any idea about what people are about and what they want, it was this last election. And if they couldn't get that right, what makes them think they can represent us?

Yep. To Dems "making history" with the first female presidentvwaa mire portent than anything else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 01:32 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,102,029 times
Also, one of the reasons Trump ended up being so popular was that the media gave him the most attention. Why did they do this? Because they thought he would be the easiest candidate for Hillary to defeat so they wanted to promote him. It flat out says this in the leaked emails

Old 07-01-2017, 02:30 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,144,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
In a nation of 300 million people, you would think that we could have found somebody better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to compete for the top job in the country.

There were a few competent Republicans but they didn't get a lot of support. I am thinking about people like Kasich and Rubio. On the Democratic side, Joe Biden was the answer but he didn't run. Bernie was too far left and Hillary was doomed from the start because of her corruption.

Do you think this election cycle was a fluke or do you think we are getting to a point where competent, qualified people don't even want the job anymore?

It's a mystery, isn't it?

I think one reason is the rise of "gotcha" media and "gotcha" politics - and the tendency to dredge of problems from years past to taint candidates.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:35 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,096,953 times
Because there are only two option.

Let's pretend the other two minor parties (both called third parties, even though there would be four parties in total... whatever) had a chance of winning an election. Between Hillary Clinton, Donald Trump, Jill Stein, and Gary Johnson, who would win?

I'd argue Johnson. He's got more actual governing experience than either Stein or Trump, both of whom have little to no experience that is relevant to being president, and it quite a lot less dirty that Clinton.

But we have a two party system.

Why Clinton? The DNC wanted her. She should have been president in 2008, according to many, but the cool black guy, who's campaign made him look a helluva lot more like Bernie Sanders than it did President Barack Obama, took the job instead.

Trump got more press coverage that the other Republicans because he was ridiculous. The media loved him because he was over the top and great at selling headlines. Indeed, a more practical choice would be Kasich, whom I'd absolutely vote for over Clinton (speaking as an Independent who consistently leans Democrat; I'd also vote Johnson if I thought there was a chance he could win... but he struggles to get 5% of the popular vote in reality), but Kasich is too normal for modern media. I applaud him for staying the running for as long as he did, though he was actually in fourth place in a race between three. Poor guy never stood a chance.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:40 PM

26,507 posts, read 15,084,039 times
Quote:
In a nation of 300 million people, you would think that we could have found somebody better than Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton to compete for the top job in the country.

There were a few competent Republicans but they didn't get a lot of support. I am thinking about people like Kasich and Rubio. On the Democratic side, Joe Biden was the answer but he didn't run. Bernie was too far left and Hillary was doomed from the start because of her corruption.

Do you think this election cycle was a fluke or do you think we are getting to a point where competent, qualified people don't even want the job anymore?
#1 People are fed up with the current path we are on and the establishment -- so Trump was the perfect man for those voters.

#2 The DNC establishment pushed hard for Hillary so Biden saw the writing on the wall and Bernie didn't stand a chance.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
There are no choices under collectivism.

Just the illusion of choice.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:51 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,595,236 times
Quote:

If Hillary Clinton had gotten just a few more votes in the right places, despite all the republican gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement, by now things would have improved so much in our country, there would be no talk of "no good choices". Except of course, for the usual disgruntled Republican agitators.

If she was so bad, how did she win almost 3 million more popular votes and be given an "85% chance" of winning, by so many reputable polls? In fact, there's never been a presidential candidate with so much of the right experience and capability for the job. Her purported unpopularity and imaginary crimes, have been nothing but the product of a smear-campaign by the opposition. The thick underlayer of racist and sexist attitudes by the Republicans, just couldn't abide with first, a black president and then one who is a woman.

Old 07-01-2017, 02:53 PM

809 posts, read 747,558 times
Quote:
Sorry, I'm not buying into your premise. Ms. Clinton was supremely qualified for the job based on experience. Yes, she's a lousy campaigner, but when elected, excelled at the job. I find it so sad that too many Americans bought into the rhetoric that HRC was corrupt. A private email server, big deal....

The sad reality is that American voters are too stupid to vote. Trump is a gifted businessman (really?). Trump is rich (probably not). Trump is a psychopath (probably, or maybe just a sociopath tweeting while pinching out a deuce in the early morning).

Old 07-01-2017, 02:54 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,373,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
If Hillary Clinton had gotten just a few more votes in the right places, despite all the republican gerrymandering and voter disenfranchisement, by now things would have improved so much in our country, there would be no talk of "no good choices". Except of course, for the usual disgruntled Republican agitators.

If she was so bad, how did she win almost 3 million more popular votes and be given an "85% chance" of winning, by so many reputable polls? In fact, there's never been a presidential candidate with so much of the right experience and capability for the job. Her purported unpopularity and imaginary crimes, have been nothing but the product of a smear-campaign by the opposition. The thick underlayer of racist and sexist attitudes by the Republicans, just couldn't abide with first, a black president and then one who is a woman.
Don't you have a show to host on MSNBC?

Old 07-01-2017, 02:58 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,050,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by upgrader View Post
Sorry, I'm not buying into your premise. Ms. Clinton was supremely qualified for the job based on experience. Yes, she's a lousy campaigner, but when elected, excelled at the job. I find it so sad that too many Americans bought into the rhetoric that HRC was corrupt. A private email server, big deal....

The sad reality is that American voters are too stupid to vote. Trump is a gifted businessman (really?). Trump is rich (probably not). Trump is a psychopath (probably, or maybe just a sociopath tweeting while pinching out a deuce in the early morning).
Clinton had experience, but she was not very capable. She held jobs due to the connection to her husband. Really, that private server showed just how incompetent she really was.

I was not pleased with Trump, but voted for him. It was a protest vote since he was going to lose. I have been really pleased with his first two hundred days. He is trying to hold to his election promises. Really looking forward to the tax reform debate.

The tweets I can do without, he just needs to ignore the mass media outlets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies